Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • OT: Things are the thieves of time
  • mrgibbons
    Free Member

Following on from the neighbour smashing his house up..

‘Things are the thieves of time’

Discuss

(excluding bicycles ofcourse!)

djglover
    Free Member

Needless use of consumer goods in posting this thread I think

Rich
    Free Member

“Things make passing time more fun.”

joe1983
    Free Member

Computer could actually be considered an investment good in some cases!

Trampus
    Free Member

FFS it had nothing to do with material possessions. Hora had been “visiting” my goat! 👿

samuri
    Free Member

Agree with Rich.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A fast running clock thieves time

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m with Rich too, life would be bloody dull without things, even with the best family and friends in the world.

GrahamS

“You’re not your job. You’re not how much money you have in the bank. You’re not the car you drive. You’re not the contents of your wallet. You’re not your f**king khakis. You’re the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.”
    — Fight Club

That film taught me so much about not craving pointless material possessions.

I have three copies of it, including the director’s cut, and the book in hardback and paperback 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

As with “the love of money is the root of all evil”, I think this is mostly true. They are extremely difficult habits to break however.

🙂

andym
    Free Member

I have three copies of it, including the director’s cut, and the book in hardback and paperback

LOL.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Spot on GrahamS. Same for me…well that and the Dalai Lama, Gandhi and Buddhism 🙂

Need Less ~ Do More

SSP

molgrips
    Free Member

What about those that don’t love money itself, but love what money allows you to do?

BigDummy
    Free Member

They are the makers of false distinctions and it is exceedingly tricky for them to pass through the eye of a camel.

😉

miketually
    Free Member

They are the makers of false distinctions and it is exceedingly tricky for them to pass through the eye of a camel.

I think you have to stab the camel’s eye with a needle first.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You’re not your job. You’re not how much money you have in the bank. You’re not the car you drive. You’re not the contents of your wallet

But without the job you couldnt afford your bike, kites or TV. Without the cash in the bank you cant sleep easy with the protection against a time without the job you need. Without the car you cant get to the places you want to go to use your toys and without the contents of your walled you couldnt drive the car you have (driving license) or put fuel in it.

What a load of tripe. Nice sentiment, but tripe. Ah well.

GrahamS

It doesn’t say you don’t need those things or that they don’t make your life more comfortable. It is saying that they shouldn’t define you. You are not a better person because you drive a nicer car.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It doesn’t say you don’t need those things or that they don’t make your life more comfortable. It is saying that they shouldn’t define you. You are not a better person because you drive a nicer car.

But that wasnt the point of the thread, the point of the thread was that “things” steal time, not that “things” don’t define you.

miketually
    Free Member

But without the job you couldnt afford your bike, kites or TV. Without the cash in the bank you cant sleep easy with the protection against a time without the job you need. Without the car you cant get to the places you want to go to use your toys and without the contents of your walled you couldnt drive the car you have (driving license) or put fuel in it.

But many people put the job, car, etc. above the things they enable you to do. Or elevate the objects needed to do certain activities above the doing of those activities.

What’s more important:

* the ride?
    * the bike on which the ride was done?
    * the job that paid for the bike on which the ride was done?

Could the ride have been done on a cheaper bike, which could enable less working time, meaning more riding time?

nickc

That film taught me so much about not craving pointless material possessions.

I have three copies of it, including the director’s cut, and the book in hardback and paperback

Feel the irony…

coffeeking
    Free Member

What’s more important:

* the ride?
    * the bike on which the ride was done?
    * the job that paid for the bike on which the ride was done?

Could the ride have been done on a cheaper bike, which could enable less working time, meaning more riding time?

What if you take great pleasure from your car/bike and feel it is worth the investment? I love my cars, I’ve thrown thousands at them, I enjoy driving them, I dont enjoy driving my diesel estate. Where does that fit?

I love my bikes, I have several (older, but expensive at the time and good quality) – just getting to ride them makes me happy. A good ride on them makes me happier.

Where does that fit?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think the answer is staring at you. You are a craven materialist, dependent on money to seek pleasure. You should meet up with other like-minded people in a dingy basement, strip half naked and beat one another to a bloody pulp.

😉

GrahamS

Feel the irony…

Indeedy – hence the smiley 🙂

(I actually only have one copy and I’ve never read the book, though it is on my list. Is a great film tho)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think the answer is staring at you. You are a craven materialist, dependent on money to seek pleasure. You should meet up with other like-minded people in a dingy basement, strip half naked and beat one another to a bloody pulp.

[:wink:]

I’ll start a thread as a call to arms. Is such a club illegal? Should I refer to it by a codename?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘OT: Things are the thieves of time’ is closed to new replies.