Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • OT: iPhone 4 playing up and out of warranty
  • yoshimi

People cant hear me but I can hear them…other than that everything works perfect.

Tried restore etc etc but problem persists.

If I call in the Apple shop will they help or not be interested because its out of warranty by 2 months?

Just wondering if anyone else has been lucky in getting them to fix things when out of warrnty?

Cheers

wwaswas

they’ll do an out of warranty repair for £150 or you could try one of the places that offers repairs cheaper than that.

There’s one in Hove near me that sorted out my wifes iPhone 3 when she dunked it in water.

yoshimi

ah – I’d read a few bits about people in the US paying $150 for this – so thought it might be about £100 here.

Tempted to just sell it on ebay for £200 and get an upgrade next month (I’m eligible on Feb 17)

thanks for the reply wwaswas

LMT
    Free Member

I took mine to an apple store it was 4 months past the warranty, must admit at the time i didn’t know. Just booked a session with an apple expert. Once there they did the checks, for water damage and hooked it up to a mac, confirmed it was broke. The guy then popped out the back tp check with his manager and did me a swap there and then, no charge completely free, only snag was it would only have 3 months warranty and they wouldn’t be able to help out again with this phone. Mine had the same issue, and it was back in the 3gs days.

CountZero

Wait and get the upgrade. Sell the 4.

Cougar

Wait and get the upgrade. Sell the 4.

You’ll get a lot more money for a working phone.

I’d go into an Apple store. They’re generally exceptionally helpful and go above and beyond.

jam-bo

Got an appt tomorrow for a erratic home button. 6 months out of warranty but figure I have nothing to lose.

yoshimi

Sounds promising, I’ll call in tonight and report what happens, thanks for the replies giys

STATO
    Free Member

Got an appt tomorrow for a erratic home button. 6 months out of warranty but figure I have nothing to lose.

Please post up your outcome, i have the same problem.

Drac

Like said above go to Apple, they are very helpful the worst offer you’ll get is a replacement for a small cost and yeah around £150. You can then sell it for a lot more for your your upgrade as it’ll be worth for more as it’ll immaculate.

yoshimi

The erratic home button there’s a fix for this, I’ve had that too / I’ll find it later and post ip

DickBarton

I thought Europe had a 2 year cover for warranty? If so, get it back and replaced…

sc-xc

Erratic home button. Check. It does my head in.

Pres press press press press PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS – nothing.

Then the next minute….

press

And it flipping works.

yoshimi

Been into the Apple shop – quite helpful but ended up having to book an appointment for Monday as they’re so busy. He did say they dont charge labour for iPhone repais even if out of warranty so I’ll just have to see what happens on monday night. For those with a sticky home button, this is what I did and it worked for me:

1.) Open a native application – clock, calculator etc.

2.) Press and hold the power button until the slide to shutdown swipe bar appears.

3.) Release Power button.

4.) Press and hold Home button Lightly until screen returns to the home screen.

5.) Should be recalibrated.

jam-bo

Offered a £120 out of warranty replacement.

And shown a way of getting an onscreen home button. It’s quite neat.

druidh
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member
    Tempted to just sell it on ebay for £200

You can get £200 for a broken iPhone?

simon_g

Worth clearing out the headphone socket and dock connector of any random detritus with a paperclip or similar – I had an iphone go a bit erratic on whether the mic would work and it was because something metallic managed to get in the headphone jack. Felt a bit of a tit in the apple store but it worked perfectly once cleared out.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Jam Bo – how do you get the on screen Home Button?

jam-bo

It’s in the accessibility menu. Called assistive touch. I actually quite like it.

yoshimi

druid – I speak the truth – couldnt quite belive it myself although I do remember getting £150 for my old 3g with a broken screen.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘OT: iPhone 4 playing up and out of warranty’ is closed to new replies.