Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • OT – Recommend me a watch please
  • lunge

Morning all,

I am looking to buy myself a new watch as a bit of a treat to myself and I know there are a few watch lovers on here. I don’t want to spend loads on it but do want something quite “nice” rather than an Argos special. The criteria is:
    £250 max
    Brown leather strap
    A light face (cream, ivory, white, whatever you may call it)
    Analogue
    Silver coloured body

It is likely to be worn in a “smart casual” way ( jeans and a shirt kind of thing) so nothing very dressy either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Some kind of Rotary would do the job, good value for money, good quality, and they’re British which is a bonus if you like that sort of thing.

alfabus
    Free Member

Mondaine swiss railways watch:

I have a mondaine automatic, which was more like ~£400, but they do quartz ones for a lot less. Most of the straps are black, but if you bought one under budget you could change the strap.

Dave

Hairychested
    Free Member

My dad has an old one from them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Both these Tissots seem to fit your criteria and cost less than £250.

trailmonkey

derek starship + 1

tissot make superb watches and usually come with sapphire crystal glass which means that they’ll stay scratch free and look good for ever.

lunge

Hmm, Tissot are interesting, I already have one that I was bought for my 18th and bar the odd scratch to the metal it is still in great nick.

binners

Isn’t it compulsory on here to wear a G-Shock?

lunge

Already got one of those Binners, this is for slightly smarter wear!

Rastapopolous
    Free Member
    ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Worth having a look on here Creation Watches as they do a range of Seiko, Tissot and Hamilton watches which would fit your price range and buying criteria.

They’re one of several companies who ship from Hong Kong, and deliver pretty quickly – I bought my last Seiko from them and it was here within 5 days. HTH

EDIT – just had a wee peek, and spotted this Hamilton http://www.creationwatches.com/products/hamilton-250/hamilton-khaki-field-automatic-h70515137-mens-watch-2324.html

It’s about £20 over your price, but it’s a helluva lot of watch for the money.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Just thought I’d show you what I’m wearing, watch-wise, today.

This is my Omega Constellation that I bought in August 1992.

Lovely innit?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

If you’re looking for something less dressy, I bought one of these, had it beadblasted and replaced the bracelet with one of these

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Derek.

Mate, that watch is Minging and a Stinging.

It looks like its been cobbled together from the parts of a bourdon tube pressure gauge and a Focus DIY ornamental sun dial.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Derek.

Seriously?

Oh well. I love it to bits.

It’s good that we don’t all like the same stuff 🙂

momentum_2000
    Free Member

Seriously?

Yeah, sorry.

But you’re right about not all of us liking the same thing.

I guess we need ugly, to know beautiful.

😉

stealthcat

Christopher Ward watches look great, and the leather straps may be OK, but avoid the silicon straps. What they don’t seem to say on the website is that you will need to replace the silicon strap every couple of years, as it will fail, and they aren’t very helpful about it when the strap does go.

Maybe if you dive, you’re aware of this problem, but the complete absence of this information on the website (plus the huge amounts of marketing they still send out after being asked not to) have put me right off them.

glenh
    Free Member

hopefiendboy

^^what glenh posted

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Terrorist!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 @ randomjeremy!

derek_starship
    Free Member

WHISN – Is that for special needs people?

headfirst
    Free Member

I like the look of this one, never heard of the make before but it’s got a titanium case, that’s cool!

http://www.johnlewis.com/233828/Product.aspx

reggiegasket
    Free Member

have a look at the Boss watches. They tend to use black faces though

stumpy01

momentum_2000 – Member
    Derek.

It looks like its been cobbled together from the parts of a bourdon tube pressure gauge and a Focus DIY ornamental sun dial

That’s amusing, ‘cos there I was thinking that Tissot is one of the best looking watches I have seen posted up here in a long time.
    Normally it’s HUGE diving chronograph things that look ridiculous.
    Definitely a good job that we all like different things.

Have you looked at Skagen watches? I got my other half one a year or so ago for Chrimbo. Really nice, simple, no nonsense watches….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Minging and a Stinging

Ho ho! Five pounds! 😀

lunge

I’m thinking something from Tissot may be the way forward so far.

Out of interested, what is the quality like on the so called designer watches? For instance I saw a Hugo Boss one but I don’t know what the quality would be like compared to someone like Tissot.

bearGrease

ditch_jockey – looks nice. Where did you get it bead-blasted if I may ask?
    bg

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘OT – Recommend me a watch please’ is closed to new replies.