Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oris Watches ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Been looking at buying myself a nice watch with some money my parents left me last year and after looking around today in various shops decided to get my self this

Comments ?

HTTP404
    Free Member

there are better looking Oris watches than that one.

surfer
    Free Member

I've got this one, its 5 years old now and I'm very pleased with it.

nsaints
    Free Member

Surfer, how well does yours keep time?
    I have a 'big crown' model, and it's been very poor at keeping time
    so much so it's been sat in the draw for the past 4 years

tried a service and all, fine for a month then back to rubbish time keeping

MisterT

I have had my Oris for the last 4 years. love it, although since the last service it's been loosing time (about 1 min per 2 days) – should take it back, but havn't gotten around to it.

the one thing to note about their 'high mech' mechanism is that a hard shock can stop it working. I punched a door (as you do) and that shock was enough to make the large spring tangle itself and stop it working. sent it back for a service and it was fixed (under warrante) – the point being is it's not a sports watch, and thus treat it with more care than a simple quartz mech.

I ride roads with mine on, but won't wear it offroad (a. it bloody kills you wrist with the weight banging up and down on descents, and b. because of the story above)

otherwise, creat bits of kit, significantly better value than the big names such as tag, omega etc.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer, how well does yours keep time?

I'm not really sure because I mainly wear it for work and sometimes I have to re-wind it etc if I leave it off for a day or so. I haven't paid close attention however I suspect it doesn't keep "good" time.
    My friend has a Rolex and he actually sent his back because he thought it was broken, it was losing a couple of minutes or more a day. They sent it back after a service and it is no better. He spoke to a colleague who also has one and he claims his is the same.
    Not good really but I think they look very nice!

simon_g

It's an auto and if you like the design then that's the main thing. I'd probably go for something a bit less shiny, but it's not excessively sporty or dressy so should fit in with whatever you're wearing.

As for timekeeping, that's not what autos are about. If you want accuracy to within a few seconds a month, buy a Casio!

MisterT

if you want perfect timing, get a cheap battery operated quartz watch.

mechanical watches are not meant to be perfect time keepers. they are more expensive due to the complexity of the mechanism and the effort taken to manufacture and tune the mechansism (each one needing adjustment)

quartz takes the beauty out of the mechanism and makes a better time peice.

if you want a peice of hand made fine watch making, then you put up with the fact you have to engage with it and take care of it.

bit like owning an italian car… it's beutiful, it feels great to use, but it's a pain in the arse if all you want is a highly reliable low maintenance machine to get you from a to be with the least ammount of fuss.

nsaints
    Free Member

As for timekeeping, that's not what autos are about. If you want accuracy to within a few seconds a month, buy a Casio!

I have a casio on my wrist now as it happens 😕
    £50 and perfect time versus £800 and rubbish time keeping….

Think I might dig the oris out again though

geetee1972
    Free Member

Surfer's picked a fabulous looking watch there – mate of mine has one and he wears it for meetings with investors at his Private Equity firm, while fixing his clapped out car and while riding his bike. Basically he never takes it off and he loves it.

Personally I think Oris watches are lovely and they are a fraction of the price of other similarly handsome watches.

Perhaps best described as the thinking man's Rolex?

BTW had a Rolex myself, real piece of junk, couldn't keep time if it were a metronome!

joolsburger
    Free Member

After a few months use it is worth having a watch regulated by a competent watchmaker as with all things mechanical there is a bedding in period and regulation at the end of that should restore good time keeping.

All of my mechanical watches keep time within COSC standards the best one is within a couple of seconds a day.

Oris watches are generally well regarded, I like the diving ones…

surfer
    Free Member

Perhaps best described as the thinking man's Rolex?

Interesting you say that. It was a present from Mrs Surfer. When I chose it I had the choice of the Oris or a Rolex at almost 4 times the price. I discounted price (it was a special purchase) and chose the Oris.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy.

I've a got a number of mechanical watches and as long as they're worn regularly they are pretty accurate.

Is your life so organised that a watch that loses a second or two a day will give great problems?

The Oris looks good. They generally seem like better value for money Omegas.

sunchaser
    Free Member

I've had my Oris for about 7 years & love it. I find it very reliable & hard wearing, after many years of use it's not got a single scrath on the face! Not the most accurate but this has never been a concern.

If you get one with a leather strap be prepared for a shock if you want a genuine replacement!!

loddrik
    Free Member

Surfers is my favorite Oris, at least the 47mm version is.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have one of these

And I love it, a nice looking watch for everyday, not to flash or brash, just right IMO.

I personally find the OP's choice a bit fussy, I'm not keen on the hour markers, a bit to similar to Omega's, & the strap is a little OTT, but each to their own, I'm happy we are all different 🙂
    Don't get me wrong it's still a nice watch, just not the one I would choose, I also have some other watches I have bought that I have since thought 'what were you thinking' including an Alfred Dunhill tank dress watch with 'silly shaped' glass, & a vintage Omega that just stops if you don't keep moving your wrist so no good for desk jockeys, but great for w@nk3r.'s 😉

MisterT

if we are doing pic's, then this is mine – and I love the rubber strap.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

if that's the watch you like and it will remind you of where you got the money from, go for it. Buy a cheap g-shock for biking and timekeeping

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – Member

Lovely watch …..Thats the original watch i was looking for , but after seeing the Artelier i changed my mind and went for it … a bit more money but i`m happy with it …
    May even buy another oris early next year and it may be the classic that 2unfit2ride has

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oris Watches ?’ is closed to new replies.