Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orbea Rallon 2015 Sizing
  • trigrwoods
    Free Member

Hi, Are any of you lot 6′ tall and riding a medium sized Rallon? Really fancy the 2015 frame to build up but the size large 19.5″ seat tube is too long for me (18.5″ max for my stumpy legs!) Looking at the geometry i think i can get away with the medium size with a 50mm stem but looking for reassurance from someone who was in the same boat i guess. Would appreciate any help on the matter.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and have a large and it’s great. Seat tube size might be something that you can work with if you ignore the numbers. I’d hate to be on a medium.

trigrwoods
    Free Member

That is not the answer i was looking for glasgowdan!! Kind of knew it would be the case though. I dont know if its because i do have stumpy legs or what but spent most my days riding medium bikes before getting a Nukeproof Mega Tr in the correct size for my height (large) def a better fit but i certainly wouldnt want more seat tube than the 18.5 inch that the Nukeproof has, 18″ would be better for me. I like to have the saddle right out of the way when descending. Really liked the look of the Rallon but guess ill go back to looking at the large Kona Process 153 with the short seat tube and long reach. Decisions decisions!!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not many pro DHers have the saddle right out of the weight.

Feels completely weird to me, try riding with it up a bit and then decide.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve been to skills lessons and been told i need to ride with straighter legs. This goes hand in hand with riding a properly sized bike. Smaller bikes encourage you to crouch over the bike instead of positioning yourself in it, if that makes sense.

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Totally agree with both those posts, pro riders do seem to have the seatpost quite high when descending, i guess it helps give better control when leaning into turns etc , the xc guys dont even drop theirs! Really dont know how they ride like that though!! But yeah i know it’s probably bad habits from years of riding with the seat out of the way and maybe i should try it out. Dont think im gonna like it though! 😀

kimbers

Just get a process, love mine, I’ve ridden my mates rallon, feel pretty similar, geo wise,

Some cracking deals on 2014 153s right now, not sure how easy to get the lighter 2015 version as a ftaneset tho

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Oh God please dont make things harder for me Kimbers! Ive just spent some time in the States, im currently in Mexico at the mo and had a chat with a bike shop in Washington who will do me a good deal on a 2015 Process DL frame so i am very tempted. The only thing about the frame that worries me is that the geometry seems to be really quite extreme, i mean most bike companies are going low and long now but that Kona is really long! Do you not feel overly stretched out on it? And i know its a bike that is all about going down the hills as is the Rallon but i do like to have the odd all day ride getting lost in Dartmoor and the likes so in your honest opinion would/do you happily take your process out on the odd all day ride? Your input would be much appreciated.

kimbers

Ive ridden my process up down along and over some pretty big hills, it doesnt pedal like an xc race bike, but its not terrible, ukge on sunday was 40km and 1.5 km of climbing and it was fine, well bearable!
    A shock with a lockout/pro pedal etc helps, but i dont have one and I survive
    the reach is absolutely fine (5’8 on a medium), just make sure your stem is no longer than 35mm, with some nice wide bars, after riding it, oldskool geo bikes feel cramped and twitchy

I have swapped the wheels out for light bicycle carbons on hope hubs to save some weight, making it a bit more all day friendly

I did have a bit of a problem with it throwing the chain in very rough stuff, but swapping the sram for a shimano mech (stronger clutch) and fitting an upper guide and its been great

needed a new set of bearings after 18 months, but had been ridden in some nasty weather

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Thanks for the info mate, seriously considering it. Ive got xt 1×11 drivetrain good to go with narrow wide chainring and upper guide so no probs there. Flow ex/hope wheelset so wont be the lightest build but ive never owned a full sus bike under 31lb anyway and it doesn’t really bother me too much. I bet my mega tr is nearer 32lb. Anyways im gonna go off and do my head in trying to make a decision.

vincienup
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind that the geo of many bikes is on the move again. The Rallon is intentionally long and the BB is very low. I’m 178cm and would probably go for a Medium.

I’ve almost given up trying to find a demo ride in the UK though, and another holiday to demo a bike would be a bit excessive… 🙂

DougBasqueMTB is probably the person to ask…

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Yeah i have noticed that the new 2016 Rallon has added a few mm to the top tube and reach throughout the range which actually makes the medium i was looking at a tad bigger than my size large mega. I will probably sit tight until i return home in December before i go making any purchases. The new Nukeproof Mega will be out by then aswell so ill be interested to see what changes they have made.

julians
    Free Member

Im 178cm and on a medium rallon,it fits me nicely.

The lowest setting is very low, suspect it probably faster in the higher setting because you could continue pedalling through rough terrain,but the lowest eetting is very stable

bruneep

Just to confuse you I’m 173cm and ride a M

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orbea Rallon 2015 Sizing’ is closed to new replies.