Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange + Hope Hoops Pro3 SP-XC3 = good or bad?
  • jonnyv
    Free Member

Is fitting a wheelset of Hope Hoops Pro3 SP-XC3 to my Orange 5 a good idea? i don’t want breaky wheely times.

sailor74
    Free Member

do you mean the maxle situation?

clubber
    Free Member

And depends how/what you ride and how heavy you are…

jonnyv
    Free Member

i’m 14 stone,ride not too mental but a wee bit bouncy and fastish.Deffo no big jumps (i’m 47 and break easily these days) just up and down hills and woods.And it’s the Stans notubes deal as well.

jonnyv
    Free Member

15 qr for the front,no i don’t mean or know owt about maxle?

mboy
    Free Member

Unless you’re an XC racer and really will notice 100-150g of difference, I’d go for the normal Pro2 hubbed option rather than the Pro3 with Straight Pull spokes.

You get 32 conventional spokes instead of 24 straight pull ones (MUCH more convenient if you ever break a spoke), and they’re a bit stiffer and less twangy.

Also, at 14 stone, I think you’re heavy enough to justify it. The normal Pro2’s on Crests are still bloody light though! And about £100 cheaper for a pair than the SP Pro3 versions…

cp

+1 unless you’re racing, get the proII (evos if possible) on stans crest, or flow if they’re likely to see a battering!

rickon
    Free Member

Well, Hope recommend a max of 85kg on the SP3s, so….

13.38 Stone.

So i’d say go for the Pro2s on crests or flows…. Orange 5 does scream flows to me though, plus you can get yourself some spanky pro2 hub colours to match your frame 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I got Pro 3’s (XC3 – 24h iirc) on 4.2d’s and they seem very light to my lardy ass, whilst I did get them cheapish in some clearance sale if buying again I’d go for more convetional Hope’s. Only problem with them was a badly dinged rear and the rim could only be got from hope (through a shop).

Daffy

I’m 11.5st and the only component I’ve ever broken on a bike is a set of SP-XC3s and i’m not what I’d consider a rough rider.

Northwind

Doesn’t seem like a good match for a Five. Put it another way, if the wheels are suitable for your riding, the frame isn’t 😉

jonnyv
    Free Member

Sounds like i’ll be flogging these Hope 3’s then.foook.

mboy
    Free Member

Sounds like i’ll be flogging these Hope 3’s then.foook.

What rims on them? Stans 355’s per chance?

rob2
    Free Member

Deffo go for the normal pro2s I’ve got two pairs of the xc3s and they ‘feel’ much more fragile than the normal ones.

‘feel’ being the technical term 🙂

jonnyv
    Free Member

mboy, the bikes at LBS having some love so i can’t eyeball for a 100% but 99.9% sure they are Stans ZTR Crest 355’s as i had to get the tubeless kit for them and spent too much time on the notubes website trying to work out what was what a bit back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange + Hope Hoops Pro3 SP-XC3 = good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.