Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Orange five vid
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

First is Esholt, second trail anyone?
    Not Shipley glen, Otley chevin maybe?

[video]https://vimeo.com/117680330[/video]

andybrad

Is this a new five?

bantasanta
    Free Member

Yeah, there’s a new five out this February.

stevede
    Free Member

Geometry on the new frame looks bang on, I’d be really keen on one when I make the move to 650b but they’ve priced themselves out of the game for me. Shame as I own and love both my five and alpine 160.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

I’m just about to build up a 650b FS trail bike. Just missing a frame at the moment. The five would be the natural progression from my Crush but stacked up against the other options, they’ve really priced themselves out of it for me against the NP mega, Transition Scout, SC Heckler etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah geometry looks really good and I like the new TT.

Updated 29er version next then?

z1ppy

AllyMcM..

£1349 SC Heckler
    £1395 Transition Scout
    NP Mega, well is there any point in mentioning the price, cause it drops to bugger all but the end of the season.

So £1600 for the Orange with a 5 year warranty hardly seems to have “priced themselves out”, not cheap no but when they actually make them in the UK, unlike the others, which IIRC are all far-east made (no issue with that but they should be cheaper!).
    If you want cheap buy the Mega, just don’t expect it to hold any value when CRC drop there price at the end over every season

Chakaping, where are you seeing the new 5 geo?

Cowman

I can’t see that vid, it comes up private vid. Please enter your code’!

Any other links ta?

z1ppy

http://vimeo.com/117680330 works fine for me.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

It’s gonna be £1700 with a custom colour. Black red or white just aren’t Enduro enough surely?

Z1ppy, the Geometry is on the Orange page now…

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five-s

chakaping
    Free Member

Chakaping, where are you seeing the new 5 geo?

Orange site.

iolo
    Free Member

So why is this geometry better than last years?
    And will 2016 geometry be even better?
    And so on for each year.
    Why don’t they give us 2020 geometry now?

legend
    Free Member

Why don’t they give us 2020 geometry now?

26″ wheels? No way can the market handle such a jump in technology!

z1ppy

It’s gonna be £1700 with a custom colour. Black red or white just aren’t Enduro enough surely?

😀
    In all seriousness, that is the most annoying thing about Orange IMO, they should be neon orange or at least mandarin Orange as std, and then you ask for a different colour! That said £100 for a different colour, which other manufacturers offer that?

Cheers, for the geo info, I wasn’t sure if the one on the site was the new or old one…

robowns
    Free Member

Very nice, but ridiculously expensive in any colour you would actually want to buy.

z1ppy

Why ridiculous?
    Ain much more than anyone else’s boutique frame, whether you believe there boutique or not, hand made and from the UK is exclusive. No the build kits aren’t great value compared to other complete bike builds, but no matter how many ppl suggest otherwise, I can’t build up one of Orange’s frame, using the frame only option, for much cheaper than they offer.

PS: I’m not an owner, and don’t want a five..

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sorry about the video embed fail, not sure why some can’t see it…how about now?

[video]http://vimeo.com/117680330[/video]

chestrockwell

As has been mentioned the frame only is not out of the ball park of other frames. A hand built in the UK bike with a dealer network and not enough numbers to get the equipment for peanuts is always going to cost more then direct sales bikes picked out of a far east catalogue.

It’s up to you if it’s worth it or not.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

It’s definitely put me in a bit of quandary. I was pretty much set on a Transition Scout frame. I really disliked the previous Five’s top tub for aesthetic reasons. I’ve got a ’14 Crush here which only need a rear wheel ( QR vs 142×12) to swap the kit across to the new frame. Damn you Orange. Damn you. . Might have to pilfer that little extra from the wedding savings now.

legend
    Free Member

Interesting that the max fork travel has dropped from 160 to 150mm – or did that happen with the change to 650b?

forge197
    Free Member

I like it nicest 5 visually for some time.

stevede
    Free Member

It’s out of the ballpark price range with a decent shock on it which, to be fair it needs.

iolo
    Free Member

As a matter of interest how much was the five frame when it was originally brought out?

tpbiker
    Free Member

4k for the rs build. no thanks..

creamegg
    Free Member

I like it. If i didn’t already have a five id get frame only and build it up to my spec

chakaping
    Free Member

So why is this geometry better than last years?

Didn’t you read the answers that people took the time to compose to the thread you started the other day?

iolo
    Free Member

forge197 – Member
    I like it nicest 5 visually for some time.

It’s a single pivot frame that’s hardly changed since it was launched.
    It which way do you believe it to be nicer?
    I read the thread but still don’t get this constant tweaking of angles to make it “better”.
    Please can someone tell me why this is better than last years? So that an idiot (me) can understand.

creamegg
    Free Member

The clue is in your quote

chestrockwell

It’s out of the ballpark price range with a decent shock on it which, to be fair it needs.

CTD on my 5 29 is perfectly ok.

As a matter of interest how much was the five frame when it was originally brought out?

Not sure but it was over 1k in 2006 and has been around £1500/1600 for a fair few years so hardly had a sudden jump.

It’s a single pivot frame that’s hardly changed since it was launched.
    It which way do you believe it to be nicer?

I’m calling troll. It does look different all be it in a 5 way. For virtually all other FS there’s three basic silhouettes that they all fit in to so one looks very much like another.

creamegg
    Free Member

Iolo a troll? Never

iolo
    Free Member

I’m not trolling. I would like to know why this five is visually nicer than all other gives that’s all. Is it the head tube, gussets, swingarm, position of the shock, colour? I’m just interested in the reasoning behind the comment.

chestrockwell

It looks different so can be better or worse depending on your view. To suggest it has not changed since the original Sub 5 sounds like trolling.

For those interested here’s the price of the 5 frame since 2009 give or take 1p. Yes, I’m at work with time on my hands.

2009- £1275.
    2010- £1300.
    2011- £1430.
    2012- £1500.
    2013- £1500.
    2014- £1500.

cokie

2009- £1275.
    2010- £1300.
    2011- £1430.
    2012- £1500.
    2013- £1500.
    2014- £1500.

Are these prices for the standard colour & shock?

jam-bo

I’m not trolling. I would like to know why this five is visually nicer than all other gives that’s all. Is it the head tube, gussets, swingarm, position of the shock, colour? I’m just interested in the reasoning behind the comment

Bent top tube they used before looked wrong to me. I guess this give same stand over and looks more right.

And oranges should definitely be orange.

Lummox

Just waiting on the five 29 to get the same treatment (stealth routing)

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

. I would like to know why this five is visually nicer than all other gives that’s all. Is it the head tube, gussets, swingarm, position of the shock, colour?

It’s the straight top tube and seatpost brace for me. I’ve always liked the Alpine 160 frame. This is very similar now.

deviant
    Free Member

z1ppy, not sure why you would want to build one up to their spec anyway, £2600 for skinny XM319 Mavics, Deore brakes, Revelations and no dropper?…I’m a fan of the frame but that does seem crap.

I reckon I could build one on Pikes, with XT brakes and with a 28mm wide DT Swiss wheelset for less than 3k, may still have a mixture of Deore/SLX drivetrain like their one but it would be much better.

The premium for ‘hand made in Halifax’ only holds water if the is frame is well finished, there is a review coming in DIRT that is less than praise worthy according to the teaser in this months issue…something about a poor fit and finish to the rear end of the frame and they had terrible shock performance, the shock issue may be subjective and one of Steve Jones many quirks but we know shock choice and tune is critical on a single pivot….however the poor finish on the frame is not subjective and is unacceptable from a firm that makes a song and dance about British workmanship and charges accordingly.

Having seen the fiasco that unfolded when Cotic tried to get a full suspension bike made in this country I’m not sure the Made in Britain thing is actually a selling point any more….anyway nice bike but about £500 over priced for the spec in my opinion.

chestrockwell

Are these prices for the standard colour & shock?

They are for the base frame offered that year before upgrades. One year they went from QR to Maxel where as Maxel had been an option before that. That covered the price rise that year. Other years have seen the shock change for better or worse.

z1ppy

Deviant i don’t, though other than the thin rims & a snobby attitude to deore, theirs nothing wrong with it. My point is, you go and price it ‘all’ up & see how much it comes to, (not using special sales offers) even your supposed £3k build.. I’ve tried and can’t beat oranges prices by anything significant

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Orange five vid’ is closed to new replies.