Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Options, Colour combos and opinions on my custom Five please!
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

Just about to order my new Five Pro through my LBS and i'm unsure on what to spec up and not etc.

Anyone with any recommendations on the rear maxle? If it would be worth while going with a Talas 36 (not keen on that titanium colour tho!) bearing in mind i'm a 6"2" 14.5 stone machine getting bolder by the ride. And with the potential to cross the channel when the summer arrives for a bit of ski lift heaven.

I'm thinking V2 for the anchors, although the new Race brake is only a tenner more, anyone got experience of these? I'm not a weight weeny by any means, performance is paramount. M4's look a bit over kill.

Performance pack is a must i reckon?

And to the key question… colours. I know that there have been many threads about this subject but it has surely got to be up there in importance. Aesthetics are big thing for me and i will be colour coding where possible i.e Shifters, rear mech and cassette (will have to do through LBS at a supplement), Brakes and hoses (goodridge me thinks). I am finding it hard to visualise the colours from the tiny samples in my LBS actually on a painted frame. I really do not want to be duped into thinking that a 1 inch square of paint will look amazing and when it arrives i am like WTF have i done? Having said that i am up for something with 'character' with been in the carbon dark ages for the last couple of rides.

Does anyone have any pics of Powder Blue, Pearl yellow or disco/metallic black or any other interesting colours that i could have a look at?

Your knowledge and advice will be appreciated.

Cheers all!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

if your a bit lairy or getting there get a maxle…its expensive afterwards(600 plus wheel cost) those brakes are too racy for you,m4 or v2(prob overkill!)im 14.5stone and the race brakes do struggle pulling me up

ask for coloured hubs/stem/qr's orange will do it for nowt…discos very cool,ive got a white one but in a year or two it wont be so cool…if you want to see lots of colours try and get to a demo day…as you'll see about 8-10 colors…

it'll be the best bike you'll have ever had! i love em and so does my customers..

my 2p…

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

yes performance pack is a good idea….sheds weight….you can make it a lightish bike…mines 26lbs

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Quality service from Hope with the coding! I did consider calling them and calling in to the factory to see some frames in the flesh. Might just do that actually… could tie it in with Dalby on friday.

Disco was recommended by my LBS, apparently they have a new that makes it appear deep blue- purple in sunlight (5 days a year then ;^|)

carbon337
    Free Member

powder blue with white wheels looks pretty special.

I got white pro with Perf pack – nice additional touches. Only wish I had got white wheels for only £50.

carbon337
    Free Member

Also beware getting to many custom bits – especially the hope stuff as i was told it would make it up to 13 weeks for delivery if i got gunmetal hubs etc.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Nightmare. I was looking at gunmetal.

wrt wheels i have a set of Spinergy Xyclone enduros with white pbo spokes that would look spiffing. with white goodrige hoses maybe? hard to keep clean tho, having said that i am a member of the toothbrush brigade.

carbon337
    Free Member

Tomahawk

Sounds ace – Im gutted i didnt get a wheel paint upgrade although it means I get to get some new rims for xmas.

Are you aware of the talks regarding a new five for 2011 – with iscg tabs and larger seat tube – oh well there is always a frame upgrade on the cards for me in a few years I suppose.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

no i wasn't aware of that mate! would make sense mind, the seat post is limiting. I use a droppable post which (unless you have a gravity) ain't an option. would be gutted if they released a all new frame next year, however.. i could be buying the last of this classic shape.

dandan
    Free Member

I am waiting for the 2011 five… doing lots of overtime! 😀

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Any clue as to what it will be like geometry wise?

stevede
    Free Member

I'm getting a new five too and drove myself nuts for a while on the colour front, in the end i've opted for the free electric blue, using the £100 i saved to get the maxle rear end.
    Talas forks are good if your going to be changing travel a lot but performance wise they just aren't up with the floats/vans.
    I'd say the performance pack is a must. I'd also say if your looking at the alps then def hold back and see if 2011 brings any of the strange proto features (iscg mounts,bigger seat tube and cable guides for a dropper style post,tapered head tube).
    Out of the colours your leaning towards i'd go for one of the blacks personally but thats just me – i was tempted by disco black but couldn't justify an extra £100 when the free electric bue or chrome grey are both nice colours.
    My spec in case your interested
    five frame electric blue
    hope headset
    fox 32 float 140's qr15mm in black (not keen on the grey)
    mavic xm819's on pro 2's
    thomson post
    salsa qr
    thomson stem
    monkeylite bars
    odi ruffian grips
    sdg bel air ti saddle
    hope tech x2's
    xt groupset
    dx pedals

think this spec should see me through a few years, just got to finish paying for it now!

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Nice forum name! 8)

I got the maxle rear end and v2's and can recommend them both (never actually ridden a non-maxle version tho, both my mates have it too). I wasn't overly keen on the grey forks either but think they work quite well with the blue decals and the blue hope bits…

Tomahawk
    Free Member

LOL. Technically i should have spelt mine like that! Lovely looking thing that mate! How do you get on with the dual rings up front? Miss a triple at all?

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Cheers! 😆

I whiped the big ring off before it even turned a wheel and honestly haven't missed it (mixture of trail centre stuff and natural all dayers).

Like the extra clearance a bash guard offers, and if I do run out of gears it's a good excuse to sit back and enjoy the racket the rear hub makes! 😉

Happy shopping bud!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i've got the rear maxle on a patriot and have considered the upgrade for a 5, but it is expensive…

on a brand new five, i would have the rear maxle, and for the brakes 180mm M4's front and back are fine

1981miked
    Free Member

I purchased my Orange 5 pro from Cycle World in Arbroath last year, it is the 2010 model in Chrome Grey and i have to say it is superb. Easily the best bike i have ever owned.

I went for the performance pack which saves around 1lb, i got the Hope pack aswell, went for blue seat skewer and rear skewer (didn't maxle as im a small bloke), blue headset and bottom bracket and gunsmoke hubs and floating rotors. Bike looks amazing and rides even better. The brakes take a while to bed in but once they do they are really good (although id argue my Hayes Stroker Trails are just as good).

I considerded the Fox 36's but decided they were overkill for my riding weight and where i ride. My mate has a set of 35's on his Nomad though and he swears by them, id say you would need the talas model though as the front end may feel a tad high for climbing.

I also swapped the triple chainset (well cycle world kindly did) for a double and bash and don't miss the triple at all.. I run Nevegals and they suit the bikes chuckability (great word) really well, im away to swap the 70mm stem for an 80mm though but i guess that's a personal thing.

In a nut shell, great bike and very light for a full suss, i reckon mine is around 28lb. Apple green looks amazing by the way, i nearly went for it but did't want to regret it as i hadn't seen it in the metal, happy with my chrome grey though.

Click the link for a pic of my bike.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=16379

qwerty
    Free Member

all matte black with bright orange rims and stickers – don't ask – don't get 😛

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Nice bike mate! Understated yet classy, i suppose it's all in the detail. The dilemma is now whether to hang on for the 2011 revised geo? Talk about a spanner in the works man! ❓

Tomahawk
    Free Member

matte black is right up my street qwerty… was in my LBS and they had Heckler in black ano that was impressive.

By the way… anyone know how to insert a previous thread in the input box? Still relatively fresh to this forum craic.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mate has a 5AM in grey with talas 36s and they look good together it also has mono M4 brakes, can you ever have too much breaking power?

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Nope… i think the 4 pots are the way to go.

Thanks for all your posts and pics people, certainly given me plenty of food for thought!

Off to phone Orange to see if they have a 20" Evo sitting about in the workshop! 😉

ryanwhite12000
    Free Member

Got a 2010 five in mandarin orange, free and stunning. I was lucky coz me and my bro bought at the same time we got performance pack, m4's, floating rotors and maxle for RRP price of pro but would have paid for the lot coz all are highly recommended. Push for the best deal you can get coz your spending a good bit of money. With regards to the 2011 model, in MBR magazine they are running a prototype 5 as a long termer. It has the 1.5 head tube, larger seat post, maxle and iscg tabs and their first impressions are that they love it. Its probably gonna be what the newer 5's will be like so perhaps wait and save a bit more money and get everything you want. I love my five coz it does everything well and i just know it will last for years. Cant fault anything about it and i would post a picture if it wasnt so complicated.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Cheers Ryan, technical issue are my forte also! 😕

stumpy01

Best looking Orange 5 I've seen was being picked up by the new (very pleased) owner in my LBS.
    It was a really nice green – I think it's the apple green that they do & it had red finishing kit. Looked bloody great.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Cheers Stumpy. There are a few votes for the apple green as it happens! With red finishing kit sounds nice but unusual also.

Phone Orange by the way… no joy with the EVO. wounded. They were prototypes all 16" and all have gone. The buzz is that Orange will release the new bike after it's promo at eurobike! I'm thinking that i will hang fire now to be honest.

After all… it's more about getting out on the bike you got…. ain't it? :mrgreen:

MadBillMcMad

here's mine in lovely orange.

it certainly gets lots of comments and looks ace the darker it gets.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Now Bill,

Lovin the orange! which one is it? Rims work well, seal the deal.

voodoo-rich

Some details on a custom Five with tapered headtube, larger seat-tube, ISCG mounts here… http://www.cycleworks.co.uk/blog/daves-strange-five

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Thanks for the link fella. Interesting to say the least. The sooner they get their fingers out in Halifax the better!

I'm defo hanging fire for now tho!

MadBillMcMad

sorry Tomahawk, not being paying attention.

Neon orange.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

No drama matey… kind made up me decision to hang fire for the 2011 model with revised geo. Thanks.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Options, Colour combos and opinions on my custom Five please!’ is closed to new replies.