Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Opinions based on experience of using Hecklers or Hemlocks?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Chance has arisen to come by one of these two frames. O7 Heckler or Hemlock 08.

I'd like to know what people think of both bikes. Mainl use will be XC duties round Southern Scotland but probably looking for a FS capable of taking a wee bit of punishment{though will have DH bike for uplift days and Fort Bill trips}.

Advice on set up/part choice and also pictures would be welcomed also!

What's the collective thinking on this then…

stevomcd
    Free Member

I rode an 06 Heckler for a long time and loved it. Great bike, very capable, ideal for Glentress/Innerleithen type stuff. Also used it for guiding out here in the Alps, where it eventually snapped after a season and a half. It was a brilliant bike for most of the flowy, technical singletrack we ride, only ever felt under-biked on full-on DH courses (and even that was mostly under-forked with a 130mm Marz AM2).

I'd say the Heckler would suit better than the Hemlock. Nothing against the Hemlock, just seems less up for punishment than the Heckler.

DSB
    Free Member

second all of that 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I've got a Heckler and love it…

Well, I do now..

Took me a while to get used to the "cramped" feeling, but now I have, I'm starting to get into it..
    Fells spot on- more bike than I can justify, but for long days in the Lakes, Scotland etc.. Its awesome..

Never ridden a Hemlock- I knwo Rickos has/ had one, and he liked it a lot.. (IIRC)
    Yet another phoyo of said bike…

juiced
    Free Member

never ridden a hemlock but love my burly build 06 Heckler.Know it sounds crazy but in some ways it feels like my bmx.

Coasting
    Free Member

Actually owned both frames.The Heckler has a more stable feel and definetly is the one i prefer as i always had some reservations about the Hemlocks durability.Having said that i did like the Hemlock but it did feel more like a xc type bike.

Northwind

I've just built up a hemlock, short rocker and long-ish fork. Have to say the Heckler feels a bit more solid, but the hemlock doesn't give me any worries either. I've not ridden it enough to really judge it but so far it's pretty impressive, only had time to razz it on some lumpy singletrack and steps and the like, I doubt it'll get a real test til I can get it to innerleithen or til June at Fort William.

I know it did get a bit of a bad rep at first but the chainstays have been totally redeseigned now and those were the only parts that seemed to give anyone any problems.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Northwind – what forks have you put on it? Have you got a pic?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'm having a love-hate-love affair with my 2009 hemlock.

i love the handling, but i did break the chainstay. the 2008 chainstays are fine but a bit flexy, the 2010 chainstays are much bigger.

(it's the 2009 chainstays that have been a little snappy)

The hemlock frame weighs a shade under 7lbs, so i'm confident that it's no less or more strong than any other frame of a similar weight.

i went for quick thrash around some cheeky techy trails yesterday in the snow. Even with 130mm forks and the short rocker it feels like a mini Dh bike when you need it to, but the light weight and clever geometry means it climbs jolly well too.

i like proper 4-bar designs, and all things considered, i'm happy with my hemlock, it's a good bike.

oh, and Cotic were very quick and easy to deal with, the after sales service is very good.

Northwind

It's just got 140mm Revelations for now, though I want a set of '10 maxle revs for it when money allows, they seem a perfect match for the frame. I've used a 10mm stack Hope headset as well to slacken it off further.

Er, terrible part-built picture only :mrgreen:

Not as pretty as Teeto's heckler! TBH it's not a pretty frame, I've always liked this sort of really functional look though so I think it's a looker, I think maybe not everyone agrees in these days of swoopy frames 😉

Flapjack
    Free Member

I had an 06 Heckler up until recently which was great fun to ride, always felt like it would take anything you threw at it. My mates got a Hemlock which he absolutely loves and he has built it up to around 26 pounds, worth noting though that even though it is a large frame it feels and rides like a medium.

Northwind

That's true, mine is a medium and it feels like a big BMX. Which is great, it's exactly what I wanted it for and I'm used to the "smallness" of a medium Soul but it's not for everyone. Heckler sizing seems a bit more conventional.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Where's that nice new saddle I sold you?! Put it on!

Northwind

It's fitted now! Honest!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Opinions based on experience of using Hecklers or Hemlocks?’ is closed to new replies.