Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Online grocery shopping
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Anyone do it? who’s good? is it more expensive?

i’m considering it. I cycle everywhere, and trying to cram shopping in panniers is a right pain and i’ve no room for one of those cargo bikes.

Just had a quick look round Ocado and there doesn’t seem to be anything for fresh fruit and veg in the same way as there is in the shops, i.e. its all packaged up. Is that normal??

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve used Asda, Tesco, and Sainsburys over the last 6 years and only Sainsburys haven’t got an order wrong (and i’ve used them the most). I get big items and bulk buy things and get the supermarket to deliver them, and top up with trips to the shops on foot and bike. Fresh fruit and veg is fine and chosen by the pickers.

GrahamS

We use Asda, Sainsburys and Tesco too. I found the Tesco website the best last time I compared them.

They are the same price as buying from the supermarket (aside from delivery cost, usually around £5).

Good things: great for buying large quantities that you couldn’t be arsed carrying yourself; you can usually see what you bought last time and use that as the basis for your shop; you can usually see all the special offers in one place.

GrahamS

We also get a weekly veg box from these guys: http://www.riverford.co.uk/
    Not the cheapest, but decent quality organic veg that is mainly locally sourced.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Don’t say you’ll accept substitutions

“Online shopping forums reveal experiences of dodgy substitutions from supermarkets. Some replacements make no sense at all. Dairylea instead of lychees (lie cheese?). Headache tablets instead of dishwasher tablets. A pack of nappies to replace 12 toilet rolls. And possibly the worst substitution of all – a pack of Twix bars instead of Tampax.”
    Online grocery shopping – you say tomato, we say potato

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Say you will accept substitutions – you can always refuse them when the delivery is made if they aren’t suitable. We find Tesco to be the best and they have a very easy to use iPhone app so you don’t even need to be on a computer. You can also create multiple shopping baskets for commonly bought items etc. You can also search just by offers etc so doesn’t cost more. In fact we spend less as there are less impulse buys made.

I also think the delivery charge is fair compared to the time/travelling to your local supermarket anyway.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

We’ve used Tesco regularly now for a couple of years. Cost, probably no different than going instore, maybe marginally cheaper as wife isn’t pestered my me or MFL Jr to buy crap. We do accept substitutions knowing we can refuse them if they are stupid ones as above.

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Used Tesco for almost a year now and only go into the shop very rarely. Only had one bad experience where they never showed up on the night we were entertaining and had nothing for guests to eat/drink.

I find it better as I can shop at my leisure over the course of the week, and spend less than I would in the shop as there is none of the ‘Oooo.. that looks nice, chuck it in the trolley’. Probably save a good £20-£30 a week, even after the delivery charge. Our substitutions have been ok on the whole, and the price match is good so that if they sub a more expensive item you still only pay for what you actually ordered. Only weird substitution we ever had was a pack on Naan bread instead of a packet of couscous…. no idea where that came from.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Best sub we’ve had (was Asda on the one occasion we used them) was orange scented kitchen cleaner for a carton of orange juice lol!

Quality of the subs depends a lot upon the intelligence of the person filling the trolley, if they know what the original item was then you have a better chance of getting the closest item sub’d.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Online grocery shopping’ is closed to new replies.