Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • One hardtail to rule them all… what frame?
  • richc
    Free Member

mike_p – Member

they will be strong, cheap and light

Oh no they won’t! Pick any two.

Well at £275, 3.7lb and they exceed the new CEN testing (which a lot of steel frame’s don’t), it appears that they are

Time will tell though

leggyblonde
    Free Member

PAs were raced at national level 4X, they can take jumps!

skinnysteel
    Free Member

That’ll be a P7 then . . . .

hora
    Free Member

must admit that carbon Whyte is mightly tempting! Not for me but for people who earn good money!

richc
    Free Member

For the price of the Whyte Carbon frame, you could get an Ibis Tranny, and I know which one I would prefer.

Should be OK to jump, if Lopes is racing 4X on it

james
    Free Member

“at £275, 3.7lb and they exceed the new CEN testing (which a lot of steel frame’s don’t), “

Yes but the steel one which also exceeds the CEN tests is £260 and 5.5lbsish isn’t it?

Its the aluminium one that is £275 and 3.7lbs

richc
    Free Member

thats my point, the Al one is strong (passes the CEN test), cheap (£275 compared to £600 for a Cove) and light (3.7lb compared to the Cove’s 4.5lb or the PA’s 5.5lb)

So if it is any good it its strong, cheap (well cheapish) and light.

MrAgreeable

Isn’t the CEN testing way in excess of the forces most bikes undergo in use? I remember a thread a while back where Cy Cotic and Brant Whossischops both said that it had sent them back to the drawing board, as nearly all their existing designs would fail it.

As an aside, I love the way this forum turns everyone into an expert on bike design if they hang around on it for long enough. 😉

richc
    Free Member

:whistles:

I don’t think anyone has posted anything that stupid (well at least for here) on this thread have they?

nickc

Don’t put pictures of Ibis Trannies up please….

richc
    Free Member

a bit worried that Stif will cut the price by 30% like they have on the Mojo’s by any chance 🙂

I am starting to sort out my parts mountain to sell, and if I raise enough I would love to get a Ibis or a Ti frame.

nickc

Can’t afford one, don’t need one.

It’s a mantra of sorts… 😀

StuF

I love my Cove Handjob its great up and down – only the misses doesn’t like the name 😕

and people have a lot of time for a Cotic soul.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The OP’s description of his riding suggests that what he needs is a “mountain bike”. There are a wide selection available.

We analyse this waaaay too much. 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee. Where others fail, your Stiffee will remain proud forever.

crazy-legs

What BigDummy said ^^.
    Any XC-biased HT frame will do the job.

No-one has mentioned Pace RC305 yet though… (just to throw it into the mix)

nickc

We analyse this waaaay too much

This is true, but i don’t think they’d take kindly to endless discussions about BB height or tyres, on parrot fancier world

CheesybeanZ

and another Prince Albert here

madoldlad
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon every time…does it all….

love mine

PJ266
    Free Member

Stiffee.

compositepro
    Free Member

All CEN has done is make headaches for everybody not because its a test that they have to pass for now at least but

its a flawed test and there are many ways to get a frame to pass
    on top of that theres lots of erroneous information from test houses that just dont make sense when you stack up the facts the best on ive seen was that just one frame out of 5 or ten passed …hmm but its classed as a pass

Its a farce and not very representative of a great deal when you cant even say the test was performed reliably

lots of companies are swapping steel for other materials and this could result in decent aluminium and carbon (oh just can’t wait for the carbon frames are shit comments coming soon)frames getting a rather bad rap

miffed because in a world where a chav can forget to do up his quick release and get loadsa money because they had the right legal counsel its can rapidly become open season on bike companies

I wouldnt worry about CEN at the moment its in a state of flux

remember the good old days when you just bought a great frame and beat the shit out of it till it broke!!!any frame that makes you happy

topangarider
    Free Member

Got a 456 – very happy with it (tho the paint is poo)

Ridden a Soul – very nice too.

Currently like the look of a Whyte 19, but another to add to the list that I don’t think has been mentioned is the Kinesis Decade Virtue – they do look nice. I reckon CRC have them.

Ooh – just spotted, they’re still calling them the Prestige.

lardman
    Free Member

bit like a chameleon, only cheaper, and angles that suit a faster ride.
    Changeable drop-out for whatever gears/single thing you fancy. Built tough, but not too heavy.

I love mine.

Northwind

Soul, if you can stretch to the cost, very very good frames indeed. Innerleithen one day, 20 miles of natural XC the next, brilliant at both. But undeniably not cheap

clunker

P7 or if more cash Soul.

richc
    Free Member

I reckon the £599 Ti456, if it happens will be worth a look as well.

BigDummy
    Free Member

No-one has mentioned Pace RC305 yet though…

In my case that is deliberate. As I have just built myself one it is naturally the best bike available. But as I have not ridden it yet it seems premature to comment. 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘One hardtail to rule them all… what frame?’ is closed to new replies.