Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • One for the gardeners: What Secateurs?
  • nuke

Cheap and basic (buy cheap, buy twice?) or worth spending out on the Felco secateurs?

I'm liking the look of the Felco ones but which model is best for just standard garden pruning?

Cheers

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

wilkinson sword seem to be good quality and middle of the road quality/price wise

Bimbler
    Free Member

my Wolf Garten (?) ones seem to be lasting ok

thepurist

Felco's are the pro's choice because they stand a lot of abuse and are easy to maintain – the standard (#2?) ones are fine for most people unless you're a lefty or have got tiny/weak hands. BUT if you're not going to be using them every day then is it worth the cash when something for 1/2 to 1/4 the price will probably do just as well for you? Wolf have a good name – the wilkinson sword ones seem to stand up quite well too, but neither of them is as bullet proof as a set of Felcos.

zangolin
    Free Member

Felco No.8 good all rounders. Worth getting a leather holster for it at as well.
    Had mine out on a ride the other night – bit of a bramble fest on one particular trail.
    Good price here:-
    http://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/products/Felco%20Secateurs/301/L117FEL006.html?gclid=CPP02Y2A3ZsCFUoB4wodREre_g

foxyrider
    Free Member

These will cut thorugh anything 😉

nuke

Cheers guys. I'm sure the cheaper ones would work but I'm tempted by the quality feel of the Felcos, particularily at the price on zangolin's link.

😆 @ foxy. Not to handy for popping in your Camelbak for a bit of trail clearance

foxyrider
    Free Member

Good for training like karate kid 😉

jond
    Free Member

Can't remember which offhand, but the longer-handled Felcos – gives you a bit more leverage if you need it (or a bit easier on yer elbow if you've got tennis elbow..)

Whatever you get, it's handy if it allows the pivot to be tightened – I've a pair of Wilkinson Sword jobbies (and they weren't cheap ones) where the nut's held on position by 4 counterpunched spots…nope, they don't hold 🙁

It's not very helpful, but my other favourites are a) a pair I found in the garden at our previous house, pretty much buried (and I suspect I may have recently done likewise with 'em) b) the pair my parents bought, probably in the 50s – still work a treat.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I've got these Stihl secateurs. Had them for about a year now and seem as good as the Felcos.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=stihl+secateurs&_sacat=See-All-Categories

aviemoron
    Free Member

I use Felco's at work most days in yeuch conditions and often cutting roots covered in mud – not nice. Still going strong 3 years-ish on and only sharpened once a year, wd40'd every day though!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘One for the gardeners: What Secateurs?’ is closed to new replies.