Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • On-One Ultralight CNC v Superstar Zephir
  • benz
    Free Member

Looking for a new stem for some new os bars….and eye for an apparent bargain.

Looking at both the above stems and they look like apart from the graphics they look the same stem.

Anyone got both and care to comment?

TBH have used Hope, Thomson and USE stems in the past and the USE with Ti bolts was the nicest. Perhaps stick with what I know and search out a used one of these 3 from classifieds?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If the weight listed on the on-one site is correct then they should be had under trades descriptions, ultralight my ass.

The Superstar looks far better and if the listed weight is to be believed, a lot lighter than the on-one.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Used thomson for strength but not necessarily weight. Hope and USE seem to come up less often secondhand, hopefully bgecause they are ace and still attached to peoples’ bikes. Depends how much of a hurry you are in, and how weight-conscious you are.

If it was me I would get the on-one, er, one though. £30 shiny new with a warranty seems great value.

They are most likely both from the same taiwanese manufacturer’s catalogue. But there is nowt wrong with that, dmr and on one have been doing it for years and superstar for less years, with better value kwality to the less brand-snobby rider. That both on-one and ssc chose the same stem is encouraging in terms of it being good. What raises a smile is that if the ‘rrp before discount’ prices are to be believed, on-one were selling the same product for more than 50% more than ssc were. 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

KT, i’ll be a monkey’s uncle if i can tell any difference apart from the colour of the faceplate and the logo on them. And on-one list 60mm as 110g, ssc list 50mm as 108g and 70mm as 116g. Same weights too shirley?

brant
    Free Member

Nobody playing “name the factory”?

I know. I’ve been 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sorry my mistake the weights are similar, still far away from ultralight though.

Still think the SS one looks better IMO.

julianwilson
    Free Member

brant – Member

Nobody playing “name the factory”?

I know. I’ve been

…so what did you order from them then Brant? Or alternatively why didn’t you?

stooo
    Free Member

I’ve not seen the Superstar one up close, but I’ve got and on-one and I’ve also got the sunline XC-1 stem, and they’re identical apart from the graphics. Both lovely, fairly light, stiff feeling and well made stems. Been running them for a good while with no bother at all.

Northwind

Hey, so they are. And the Sunline’s still £50+ as well.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Surely the Sunline one is better if it costs twice as much as the other two though? 😉

Northwind

It has nicer logos on it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just bought (it’s right here now) a 70mm On One stem. I’ve got to say that it’s a superb bit of kit for the £25 I paid for it. The only comparison I can think of to the finish is Thompson. I think it really is that good. 🙂

still far away from ultralight though

I’m interested how far away you think this actually is from ‘ultralight’, for a 70mm stem…..

5g? 10g? maybe a whole 15g? 😉

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

MisterAST

Feedback for Brant. Nice looking stem, as seen from PP’s post and photo. The on one website photos are beautifully arranged but it would be great to see what the stem looks like on their own, as the collection of all three in one photo is not that clear. After all we all buy with our eyes (then our wallets)!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m interested how far away you think this actually is from ‘ultralight’, for a 70mm stem…..

About 27g away.

90g for a 70mm KCNC SC Wing stem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looks a bit cheap for £65…..

😀

Northwind

Probably fairer to say the On One/Superstar stem is light for its purpose, the SC Wing’s light but does have a strength tradeoff.

brant
    Free Member

Feedback for Brant. Nice looking stem, as seen from PP’s post and photo. The on one website photos are beautifully arranged but it would be great to see what the stem looks like on their own, as the collection of all three in one photo is not that clear. After all we all buy with our eyes (then our wallets)!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-does-anybody-know-whats-going-on-yet

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Looks a bit cheap for £65…..

Indeed, I certainly don’t buy KCNC components for their looks, weightwise though they knock the socks off most of the competition.

daveplanetx
    Free Member

For the record the CNC shop is Mr Control – Robert .

Great CNC shop , makes those lovely CNC brakes for us too , plus a whole host of CNC parts for many brands – Superstar , Chain Reaction and even the likes of Giant .

Sells to anyone that turns up at his door but does have good quality , though some of his own ideas like a road frame we tested the other week can be a bit dodgy ..

He runs marathons and smiles a lot , back in the day didnt buy Brant and me any dinner or take us to any KTV bars so not an A rated supplier .

Has brochure with lots of “NEW” and “PAT PEND” which always goes down well with clueless yorkshire customers .

nicko74

It certainly used to be that the On-One ones were very similar (visually virtually identical) to the Ritchey ones, too. Not too shabby, either.

brant
    Free Member

He runs marathons and smiles a lot , back in the day didnt buy Brant and me any dinner or take us to any KTV bars so not an A rated supplier .

He also serves coffee with milk powder not milk. But…It is the most amazing Cnc shop though, machines rammed in all over, complete organised chaos. And best of all a team of super talented designers, all half my age, flying round 3d cad stuff and making amazing things, then testing them on their own bikes.
    Robert is up to 300 marathons now. He’s nuts.

specializedneeds

a whole 27g!

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘On-One Ultralight CNC v Superstar Zephir’ is closed to new replies.