• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • On One swap out Question!!!!
  • lee-bee
    Free Member

I have got a new 29er scandal which came with vertical swapouts out of the box. I am building my bike up single speed so ordered horizontal swapouts BUT when fitting them they do not line up correctly. with 1 bolt in, the other hole is maybe 1-2mm out. Has anybody else experienced difficulty’s. I dont want to force anything in case I bend the frame or do any damage. I am in the process with on one trying to rectify the problem at the moment. just wondered if any body else has suffered a similar problem.

lee-bee
    Free Member

Oh forgot to say the frame looks perfect and doesn’t seem to be out of line in any direction and On One have sent me another swapout to see if my first one was at fault. Its weird because the vertical swapouts fit perfect. Its frustrating as I have all my bits waiting to be fitted and get out riding!!!!!!

whatgoesup

Sounds familiar!
    I found that the RHS was OK but the LHS needed a corner filing off it to clear the chainstay, being careful to take off as little as possible as it’s the caliper mounting area. This seemed like a better option than messing with the actual mounting holes.

I’ll be disassembling it over the weekend to turn it into a geared bike so could send you a pic if that’s helpful?

whatgoesup

Btw, I did tell on-one about this at the time, so it’s not news to them, they just seem to be rather disorganised when it comes to details such as this. I think that the swapouts were designed for the V1 frame, and the V2 frame has slightly more sculpted chainstays hence the clash.

lee-bee
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for the reply ON ONE sent me an email saying they have never had this problem before. Good idea to trim that swap out, as you say it fouls the frame, if the the stays were sculpted inwards it most probably would fit. Cheers mate!!!!!

druidh
    Free Member

😆

sv

Brant wasnt there during the swap-out days was he? He’ll be along shortly…

lee-bee
    Free Member

Mark if you could post a pic up for me when u strip it down that would be great. What do you think of the bike anyway????

epo-aholic
    Free Member

certainly never had anything noticable on my whippet…..it was near impossible to fit a chain tug on those swap out thingies, that was annoying!

brant
    Free Member

Spoke to Will in warranty dept about this today.
    Our Neil is back on Monday and I’m going to see what he says. Sorry for delay.

andyl
    Free Member

someone needs to build an alternative sliding dropout for the on one frames with built in chain tug and moving brake mount as I HATE it when they just use slotted brake mount holes and expect you to adjust the brake when you tension the chain.

whatgoesup

No prob re the pic.
    The bike is great, best bike I’ve owned, fast, fun, a great all rounder.

whatgoesup

Right, swapover mostly finished (moving the geared parts over from a Whippet to the Scandal by the way)

This is the corner that I filed off the non-drive side swapout to allow it to clear the chainstay

I hope that this is of some help

photo(1) by markwsf, on Flickr[/img]

photo by markwsf, on Flickr

And this was how the biked looked as a rigid SS

photo(2) by markwsf, on Flickr

lee-bee
    Free Member

Thanks a lot mark really appreciate it. I thought I would have to take more of it off than that!!! I am on holiday at the mo so I can’t mess with it, can’t wait thought to build it up. Thanks again!!!

cyclistm
    Free Member

markwsf – Feel I should recognise the location of that photo – is it behind Seaford somewhere?

boltonjon

Another question for Brant

Will On-One be offering a set of drop outs for a 12mm Maxle Conversion?

This would be very handy – a single ‘standard’ of wheels for both my bikes – bliss

I’ve heard of similar ‘fitment’ issues when converting a C456 to single speed – do they use the same drop outs?

whatgoesup

It’s just by “the clump”, after the climb out of Shoreham behind Lancing College (or in this case just before descending into Shoreham as it was on the way to work)

cyclistm
    Free Member

Ah yes, knew I recognised it – a few miles out in my guess though, Thanks

goot
    Free Member

I have had some issues with the bolt holding the swap out. When the bolts are done up as tight as they can go, the swap out if not tight and it creaks like mad. Turns out that to much has been machined off of frame / swap out so the bolt gets to the end of the thread before tightening up on the swap out. Ended up put copper crush washer under bolt head , problem solved.

feisty
    Free Member

Small world another 29er scandal v2 rider in Worthing / shoreham area

I also had creaking issues when cranking hard standing up, I also found the bolts were topping out on the t-nut, the bolts are not threaded up to the bolt head so swapping these for some steel chainring bolts allowed them to tighten properly, I used the original longer t-nut so can’t see there will be any issue. So no more creaks yay

There must be V2 specific dropouts being sold now as I had no issue with frame interfearance, my only issue was paying almost £30 for SS dropouts to replace the normal ones I never wanted, let us choose dammit or provide both like the V1

My baby

feisty
    Free Member

Was still getting creaking which was gettin worse, took the swappouts off and could see there eas enough room for dirt and water to get into the interface.

The captive nuts have almost 2mm at the end with no thread so I took a file to them and removed 1.5mm of their length so as not to mess with the threaded section.

Cleaned and put a bit of grease on the mating faces of the frame and swapout and then did them up, I could instantly feel the bolts tighten up loads better as they didn’t hit a hard stop just got hard to torque, also the captive nut didn’t spin as they got tighter as they were actually being pulled tight into the swapout seat.

A 10 minute job to sort the issue once and for all

Mugboo

+1 Boltonjohn, I’d like a 12mm maxle dropout too please Brant.

nuke

Lee bee…what solution did you go for? Filing down?

Fitting an Alfine today to my 16″ Scandal 29er and exact same problem…non-driveside swap out will not align with holes as the end of it hits the chainstay 😐

Same swap outs worked fine with an Alfine on my 16″ C456

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘On One swap out Question!!!!’ is closed to new replies.