Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • On-One OEM Rocket Ron's tubeless issues. . .
  • nathaneddy
    Free Member

So the On One Cube-branded RoRo tyres aren’t “meant for tubeless applications” the page says. . .
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRRONEVO/schwalbe_rocket_ron_evo_folding_tyre
    which I didn’t notice — might explain why mine aren’t holding air??
    Assumed these would be the “tubeless ready” versions. . .

druidh
    Free Member

Why did you assume that?

You might still get away with it. I ran non-tubeless Nobby Nics for a year. The rear held up OK but the front would leak over the course of a week or so and needed pumping up every ride. Putting in more sealant eventually fixed it.

awh
    Free Member

I have a set of the Cube Rocket Rons and use them tubeless. The rear stayed up from the first inflation. My front took a bit more faffing. I found it was quite obvious where in the sidewall it was leaking from so it wasn’t hard to angle the wheel so the sealant covered the hole and it sealed up. It took a few days though as new leaks kept appearing!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DenDennis
    Free Member

I have these (I think- certainly cheap grey ones).
    used with Stans rims, rimstrips and wheel milk, hold air fine so far.
    have you puts lots of sealant in?

Havent been down any rocky stuff yet which is where I’m worried the thin side walls may get shredded..

also used NNs, double defence for over a year on rocky and non-rocky, kept air fine.

faint
    Free Member

leak like a sieve, use a tube or buy the proper pacestar ones.
    Not being derogatory, I bought the cheap ones to try out, liked them, bought the pukka ones and fitted the cheapies to my second bike

nathaneddy
    Free Member

This is my first try tubeless — been out for two proper rides and had to walk home last night after the rear lost all air . . . followed the Stans video shaking and lying flat for days and days when I set them up, and added loads of sealant. Maybe I punctured the rim strip, though.
    I think I’ll go after the proper RoRo tubeless ready. Why would On-One say they aren’t fit for “tubeless applications” if they are the proper Schwalbe tubeless ready ones?
    though I know plenty on STW have made them work.

druidh
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not leaking around the valve? I’ve had that problem too. Try putting the wheel under water to see if there are any obvious leaks.

nathaneddy – Member
    Why would On-One say they aren’t fit for “tubeless applications” if they are the proper Schwalbe tubeless ready ones?

Where does it say they are “tubeless ready”? You’ve sometimes got to watch with OEM kit as it can come in variations not available through retail (e.g. forks with steel steerers).

br
    Free Member

been out for two proper rides and had to walk home last night after the rear lost all air

Do you not carry a pump?

schmiken

I use Rocket Rons, Ralphs and Freds all tubeless and they’re all the Evo compound. I haven’t had any issues, just persevere with sealing them up and they’ll be fine.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Thanks, Druidh — I’ll check with the underwater method for the valves. You’re right — on one says they are NOT tubeless ready. just (wrongly) thought they’d be the standard RoRo tubeless ready ones. . .
    You’ve also answered my question about why the the Recons I bought from On One are so heavy — ouch.
    I do carry a pump, two in fact. Last night the tyre held air for about 10 min. before going super bouncy and soft and then unrideable.
    tubes it will be for next week’s ride — tho I haven’t given up yet.
    thanks for the tips.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I wasn’t far from home and couldn’t be bothered in the end with the pumps. . .

aracer
    Free Member

So is there any significant difference in the construction of these new ones which makes them work a lot worse tubeless than the older Schwalbe tyres (before they made any sort of tubeless ones) I’ve been using for years? Admittedly I’ve never used RoRos, but I have run Fast Freds tubeless, and I understand RoRos are based on the same carcass.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I just notice that On-One says NOT to run these Evo tyres tubeless, whereas all Evo RoRo tyres sold by Schwalbe are “tubeless ready” (or “tubeless”).
    Must be some difference.
    Of course plenty of people with more finesse than me have run them tubeless.
    OEM stuff seems a very grey area to me.

mrkbutty

Had the same problem with non cube versions, there was no warning on the pair I bought but hundreds of tiny pin holes in the wall.

Shake and Bake seems to work but they also seems to open up new holes pretty easy. Don’t think I’ll buy again which is a shame because my last lot of RR’s were great.

Perhaps it’s a bad batch?

njee20
    Free Member

I just notice that On-One says NOT to run these Evo tyres tubeless, whereas all Evo RoRo tyres sold by Schwalbe are “tubeless ready” (or “tubeless”).

2011 tyres were not tubeless, from 2011 they became tubeless ready. On One are selling old stock.

Personally I much prefer the older ones, they go onto Stan’s rims far more easily (how many threads have you seen about the new ones being too tight!?), and IME (and I’ve had at least 10 pairs) don’t leak much at all. Either the Cube ones are massively inferior to ‘pukka’ aftermarket ones (very possible) or you’re doing something wrong…

nathaneddy
    Free Member

That’s interesting, njee. might have a pair of 2.4s RoRos to sell you. . . 🙂
    It’s my first experience tubeless and it’s still a bit of a learning curve.
    I changed the tyres and checked the rim tape but there weren’t any obvious issues.
    The tyres were going soft and flat, and developing new holes if I added air. Messing with my head!
    Will run with tubes the time being so I’m not banned from the weekly ride.
    On another note these are fantastic tyres apart from the faff, so big and so light.

mattjg
    Free Member

The sidewalls are a bit porous but mine sealed after a couple of days/reinflations with some sploshing about of the fluid. They’ve been on several weeks/rides are are good now.

They go like stink and are light as …, I’m happy with the choice, but I wouldn’t use them anywhere rocky.

(My rims are Stan’s Crest).

mattjg
    Free Member

I do carry a pump, two in fact. Last night the tyre held air for about 10 min. before going super bouncy and soft and then unrideable.

And on my Crests they take a tube easily too so there’s no big risk running them tubeless.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

ditto — fantastic tyres.
    Should have added that in taking the tyres off I saw I’m not sure I had enough sealant in there. Most had gone on the floor when fitting the tyre. so I shouldn’t complain too much. . .
    Just got a 2.4 Racing Ralph — even bigger (slightly) than the RoRo.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘On-One OEM Rocket Ron's tubeless issues. . .’ is closed to new replies.