Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • On-One Inbred SS 29er rear disc set-up
  • mrsoane
    Free Member

I inherited my brothers Inbred and I’ve decided to fit discs front and rear. On the back is an IS disc mount but because it has sliding mounts, it needs special drop-outs to fit the calliper properly. Trouble is, it seems I can only mount the calliper inside the rear triangle instead of on the mounts, according to On-One. Has anyone got one of these and managed to sort this problem out?

simon1975

What brake? Some can be problematic due to restricted clearance. I presume you’ve got the “slot dropout” back end like this

mrsoane
    Free Member

No, mine (I think) is the earlier type, it has bolt-on drop-outs on either inside to take a standard axle, but the IS mounts are on the frame
    [/url] IMAG0258 by supervee_2000, on Flickr[/img]

simon1975

So that’s much more like a “standard” IS mount, although with that adaptor you’ll be needing a dinner plate for a rotor! Unless it’s a tandem or you’re VERY heavy, then a 160 rear brake should be fine.

With your frame the brake goes outside the rear triangle, not inside it as per the photo I posted… Not sure what your problem is, sorry!

mrsoane
    Free Member

On this photo you can see the actual hangers which take a standard 135mm axle, on the inside of the frame. The gap you see between the calliper and frame is the difference in frame width and axle width, about 5mm.

[/url] frame by supervee_2000, on Flickr[/img]

My problem is that, from the factory, you cannot just bolt on an IS calliper, you need a spacer. I had an email from On-One this morning telling me that is how it is, so I either have to fabricate a bracket to fill the gap or mount the calliper in the frame, which I don’t particularly want to do.

mrsoane
    Free Member

Oh, at the moment it has 203’s but I’ve got stuff coming to fit a 180 I already have.

brant
    Free Member

The “spacers” were 6mm thick aluminium washers.

Some regular M6 washers (three or four of them) will do just the same job, or a drilled out M6 nut.

mrsoane
    Free Member

That’s what I thought of doing, niggling doubt about any flex through the spacer.

takisawa2

You could use two adapters, & just get one machined down to the thickness of the gap, but I’d go with a 160mm disc & pack it out with washers. I’ve done simillar in the past without any issues.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spacing it in 6 mm will be no great issue.

You can also get spacers to space the disc out should you prefer

mrsoane
    Free Member

Managed to get 10 M6 washers and 4 M6*25mm bolts from a hardware shop for only a quid! All built up, not impressed with the cobbled together look but I’m back in work next week so I’ll knock up some proper spacers.

mrsoane
    Free Member

Not pretty but does the job:

[/url] IMAG0263.jpg by supervee_2000, on Flickr[/img]

Will sort out something a little neater next week.

simon1975

Well done – happy skidding 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘On-One Inbred SS 29er rear disc set-up’ is closed to new replies.