Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • On-one got a slagging in my LBS!
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Well I have had 4 Inbreds, and still have 2 of them, original White one was too small 18@ so It went, 20@ red slidy Do one didn’t feel as flexy as the white 18″ one so it went too and I now have a 20″ single speed and a Summer Season

They are cheap and ride well. nuff said.

I’m loving my Summer Season (cheers Ton!) and couldn’t give a **** if the welds look neat or not as long as it works.

I have found that LBS’s do often talk through their ar5e though so won’t be too upset if they slagged off On One’s. Its hardly professional of them is it?

brant
    Free Member
    nukeproof
    Free Member

Morning Nukeproof,

I think the dont knock on-one untill you have tried it should be applied to don’t knock Bike City until you have tried it? Which I think is a fiar comment.

Morning Jason

Yep…Fair enough 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

To me the true ‘altruists’ are (jeez – will I say it) people like SFB @ the Bogtrotters, the guys at BOB who lead the weekly family rides, the people who organise and lead new folks around their local trails with nothing more to it than wanting to pass on an enjoyment of riding.

kind of you to say so, though I have to admit I started leading beginner rides to tempt out a particular woman I fancied 🙂 By the time we were an item the idea had become a fixture – and I get a lot of fun from seeing riders progress 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Hmm, evidence of more LBS tutting. Did they give a specific reason?

Yep, they didn’t like Brant.

My LBS told me Brant was a bit of a cowboy when I took my wheels in to get a loose spoke replaced. Yee ha! 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I started leading beginner rides to tempt out a particular woman I fancied By the time we were an item the idea had become a fixture – and I get a lot of fun from seeing riders progress

Progress where – and at what? Dirty old man.

*shudders at the mental images*
    *cries a bit*

theotherjonv

Took some time but here for the newbie is lesson 2 of STW.

If SFB can get the topic around to discussions of his groinal activities, he will 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If SFB can get the topic around to discussions of his groinal activities, he wil

I never mentioned such

theotherjonv

you were about to though….. 😀

enfht
    Free Member

The Breaking News post is a bit narky imo 😕

PJay
    Free Member

Well I think I’ll chip in here as I’m pretty certain that the On-One with the disc mount facing issue was mine. It’s a geared 853 version. The problem with the mount seemed to be that as the upper mounting hole on the mount was closer to the frame and had a smaller surface area of metal around it, the facing tool cut across the mount/seatstay weld (it was clear on the lower portion of the mount); the reason given was that it was down to the way On-One fitted their mounts rather than a fault with this particular bike. As it turned out the problem that I was having aligning my caliper wasn’t down to facing at all but to the fact that there was a small amount of weld splatter on the face of the mount itself meaning that the adapter wasn’t lying flat; this was spotted and resolved by the Bike City team and the brake has been fine since. I certainly wouldn’t worry about using them again and also appreciate the free, knowledgable advice that they’re happy to give out (like glancing over the bike and helping resolve a chainsuck issue).

As for the Inbred, well I love mine but my finances are such that I’m very much at the budget end of the market. The RRP for the 853 Inbred (one of the 100 anniversary ones) was around £250 (and I got mine for less off ebay as an unbuilt second user one). I’m sure that there are better frames out there, like the Rocky Mountain Blizzard, another 853 frame that comes all faced and chased but with a RRP for this years model of £779! IMHO I think you get rather more than you pay for with the On-One and rather less than you pay for with the Rocky Mountain (even if it is a better frame). With all that said I doubt that there’s such a thing as a perfect frame and we all have (and are entitled to have) options about bikes. It seems a little rich to criticise bike enthusiasts for having opinions on bike just because they work in a bike shop when some of the bike enthusiasts on here at right at the far end of the ‘opinionated’ scale (I’ve been accussed of polishing a turd for sticking a Thomson post in my old DN6 Inbred).

Just to stir the pot a little more though, I’ll mention a converstation I had with an enthusiastic yoof in a well known bike shop in Taunton some years ago, I don’t remember the exact words but the essence was that they didn’t stock Cannondale (I think that they were supposed to be rubbish) on the grounds that they were so thin walled that it you peddled too hard you could twist the frame.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a thomson seat post in my 456 and you can all **** off.

😈

anagallis_arvensis

Brant and on-on posse being overly precious non shocker 😆

I’m sure that there are better frames out there

I’ll bring the firewood someone else grab the matches………….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Didn’t I say: BE NICE TO JASON, HE’S NEW HERE????!!! 😐

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Other makes of bicycle are available and there are only so many ways you can hammer together a hardtail frame, as DeKerf discovered just after the Inbred was launched.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

LOL @ sooty

Guilliano
    Free Member

I work in a LBS and I haven’t been flamed, flogged or crucified yet……

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have one of the most expensive frames ever, really like it and an On One love it!

wellhung
    Free Member

Haven’t ever or likely to own a On-One nor intend to own a Shed Fire unless of course they turn out to be brilliant.

djglover
    Free Member

100?

Guilliano
    Free Member

I’m happy to accept all free samples from Brant……

BillyBull
    Free Member

Does every post doubting on ones pass 100? I can’t be arsed to check. But this does seam to sometimes be the on one appreciation society. Christ there will be a food of them on the classifieds once the shed stuff starts.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Christ there will be a flood of them on the classifieds once the shed stuff starts”

That would be great. As I said, I’m looking for a frame…. 😀

BillyBull
    Free Member

Surely you can do better than that?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think Jason from Bike City, Brant and the 456 owner have said all they are going to on the matter.

Time to close this thread.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Buzz – That sounds like the talk of a quitter. 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

BillyBull – Member

Does every post doubting on ones pass 100? I can’t be arsed to check. But this does seam to sometimes be the on one appreciation society. Christ there will be a food of them on the classifieds once the shed stuff starts.

I think you described them as either On Oneists or Brantists last time we talked on the matter 🙂

PJay
    Free Member

But isn’t it the non-Brantists/On-Oneists that end up pushing the thread count up?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

PJay – Six of one, half a dozen of the other. If On-One (or any bike manufactuer for that matter) owners were truely happy with their purchase they wouldn’t feel the need to daisy chain each other to affirm their purchase nor worry what others felt about them. See, ‘threads by folk on here whinging about what WhatMBUKSingleMBRworld mag said about their purchase’ for proof (if it were needed) about how precious some of the little dears on here get. Its just a bike. Are folk happy or so insecure that you need a fellow forumite to whip one off the wrist for them in order to appease the demons of doubt that linger after purchase? If its option ‘b’ then a life may be required before further interaction with the human race is attempted, less they get upset and hide in their room until Mum calls them down for tea.

BillyBull
    Free Member

paulsaxo – what would you know you roadie!!!

JasonLock
    Free Member

Coolhandluke – Member
    I have found that LBS’s do often talk through their ar5e though so won’t be too upset if they slagged off On One’s. Its hardly professional of them is it?

Hi Coolhandluke,

I feel that you have not read all the comments, I think the thread should have read “customer advised on steel framed bikes shocker by LBS”, the guy who done the advising has not even responded to the thread, apart from buzz-lightyear no one including myself was there whilst the conversation took place and yet LBS’s are still getting a slatting! As discussed with nukeproof earlier in the thread you are crittisizing ALL LBS’s from experiances from one or two shops you have been in that would be like me knocking ALL bike brands from just one dodgy bike?
    p.s. I would love to have an on-one or and MTB as at the mo I have had to sale my bike to pay the mortgage, will be back on the trails though as soon as things get better, will just have to appriciate the last 15 years I have enjoyed out on the trails – nuff said!

nukeproof
    Free Member

you are crittisizing ALL LBS’s from experiances from one or two shops you have been

Didn’t think I was actually nor other posters. I was critising some LBSs which I been in, and had had experience of, for slating products they’ve not even tried which, from OP’s original post, sounded like what your colleague was doing. The product in this case was irrelevant, it was more to do with LBSs giving opinions on products they have not actually tried. I know some excellent LBSs and I am certainly not aniti-LBS.

Thought we had finished there as had agreed it would not be fair to judge Bike City on one experience but clearly this thread needs to be dragged out some more 🙁 😉

Seriously, good luck with the business Jason.

PJay
    Free Member

S&J, I was being a bit tounge in cheek there. I only really got involved in the post to support Bike City as I think my bike was the one in question. I do like my On-One, but it could be better (I’d prefer the less wide, less prone to chainsuck damage chainstays of the old DN6s for a start) so I hope that I’m not forever praising them. For the money though I reckon they’re good bikes.

If we all suddendly stopped having opinions about bikes though I reckon Singletrack to seize up!

nina
    Free Member

there’s no way i’m reading all that but maybe it’s because on-ones are over hyped mass produced tat

brant
    Free Member

on-ones are over hyped mass produced tat

But hyped by who?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

A cynical person might say “your mates in the media”. Luckily I’m not cynical and realise, as said earlier, there are only so many ways to bodge some pipes into a bicycle frame shaped object. If you can combine that with low prices and sprinkle with a sense of buying into a quirky British country then it’ll do well in these fair isles.

nina
    Free Member

i like how you pick up on the hype thing brant but not the ‘mass produced tat’ comment! 😛

brant
    Free Member

“your mates in the media”

But really, on-one reviews? features? In the media? I don’t think there was every very much.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

[Sorry, I just can’t resist]

I’ve seen several reviews of on-ones in mags. They are liked by the reviewers, but don’t always win against other low-cost HTs. Do you think they are in collusion with Brant? – rubbish, I’m sure they are reasonably genuine opinions of very experienced bike journalists.

Of course the frames are mass-produced in-expensively in Thailand, you didn’t imagine they were like Curtis frames did you? And unless you’re riding a UK fabricated bike you can’t complain about that.

Anyway, I’ve read enough support for these frames to put one on my shortlist.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

BTW. “Slagging”

From the freredictionary.com: “Slag something or someone off (Slang) criticize, abuse, malign, slam, insult, mock, slate, slang, deride, berate, slander, diss”

I don’t think me using this word in the title misrepresents what was said.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘On-one got a slagging in my LBS!’ is closed to new replies.