• This topic has 174 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • On one fatty first impressions (anyone)
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Surprised at the lack of ride reports – c’mon fellas dont be shy let us know what you think

druidh
    Free Member

You surely don’t expect folk to actually ride those things?

singlespeedstu

I thought fatbikes were just bought by people that don’t actualy ride.

scaredypants

oh

If I’d realised that, I’d have pre-ordered 🙁

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not for sand, so I’ve heard.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Understated launch, not seen many reviews. Given on one couldn’t be bothered to respond to my emails “I’m out”

druidh
    Free Member

AFAIK, they all sold out before arriving so I’m not sure that any “launch” was worthwhile. I expect there to be some magazine review in time for the next lot of orders? The weather has been shit all week – and it’s dark at nights. Maybe those that got them haven’t had a chance to ride them yet.

Still – looks like the Mukluk is actually a better deal anyway. Lighter, better quality parts, higher spec gearing and a proven design.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

They were pretty good answering my couple of queries tbh

Tempted as a ctw option but can’t do that til march

surlynot
    Free Member

Calling

(anyone)

please come to the forum…

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Its a very different riding experience.
    I got one for technical off piste climbing/techy slow descents + exploring some of the sandy rocky stuff locally and riding places it was otherwise be impossible/pointless to. I also wanted it to the winter filthbike niche left by having to get rid of my singlespeed.

It appears to do all of this stuff well. Being able to ride crazy off camber rock, pebble/scree and squeeze traction out of anything is a proper hoot. Handling is great, doesn’t feel slow + sluggish like the Pug I tried a few years ago. Bit like a 29er in that it takes a bit to get it wound up to speed, but it holds it very well. Wheelies, manuals and jumps pretty well, until it comes to landing… Had a few moments going faster than was wise down steps + off a couple of rocky drops when I had to remember that it was an un-dampened rigid bike. I think you could probably hurt yourself going crazy fast on trail centre descents, but for me this is the opposite of a trail centre bike. Seems way better at coping with mud (upland peaty, don’t have much clay here) than a cross bike.

Theres some very experienced fat-bikers on here who can give you more informed opinions.
    This’ll make me go riding when I might not otherwise and explore where I wouldn’t have.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Mal
    Would you say it was a sit and grind bike or one that you can stand and mosh up hills

Mantastic
    Free Member

Druidh, contacted them 9 months ago about some ideas and met some of them at Malvern- no response to emails is just rude.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Pop. I’ve done both. Slightly limited by the 1 x 10 set up. I think with a double up front you’d be able to sit, grind + thrutch your way up some crazy stuff.

Garry_Lager

Is 32 lb about typical for a fatty these days, or is that light?
    I’m a bit behind the times – weren’t the first ones properly heavy, like well over 40?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

By all accounts the 32lbs quotes were a little ambitious- closer to 35-36 is what I’ve read

druidh
    Free Member

Lots of Fatbikes are now getting sub-30lbs these days. My 9:zero:7 is about 31lbs and there’s nowt special about that build.

shaggy

I’ll stay out of commenting on the ride, other than, I’ve been waiting to here about what other people think about how they ride and everyone just talks about the weight. FWIW the 32lb people keep quoting was the weight of the pre-production small build that On-One had. Production is a bit higher as the spec is a bit different. You can buy lighter bikes for a grand, but for a fat bike, especially one with chunky tyres, I think it is pretty good.

JoeG
    Free Member

My first impression is that its taking forever to get here! Fedex had a Dec 22 delivery date since it was shipped; it just changed to the 26th! 🙁

Mal-ec
    Free Member

FWIW It seems like great VFM. Parts’ll get upgraded as they wear, + rims’ll probably get drilled at some point but all the essential kit appears to be good. Right off to ride it into the teeth of a howling southwesterly in the pssing rain.

flashes
    Free Member

We raced the pre production On One at Oktoberfest alongside 2 Pugs. It did everything very well. It climbed happily, it descended the rocky section quickly. Nothing fell off, including us. This was on the man made trails and I love it, it adds another dimension.

brant
    Free Member

Mantastic/anyone…

If you use the word “brant” in any of your emails to on one, I get a copy automagically.

Happy to hear your thoughts. Sorry if you have had no response to date.

singlespeedstu

Brant.

Is there a bead lock on your rims?

Have you attempted to tubless them yet?

When will they be available to buy?

Stoner
    Free Member

stu – what’s a bead lock look like?

I assume there’s an extra “lip” on the inside (?) of the bead seat? My salsa rims are expressly not to be used with tubeless set ups ( I assume that applies to ghetto) so I assume something like a Stans rim has a minor but technically important difference in its profile to be able to keep a bead sat more securely?

jwr

I’ve only put around 40km on mine so far, but have had a whole pile of fun on it. I bought it as something a bit out of the ordinary and to act as a simple(r) bike for winter riding. It’s my first fat-bike, so the first thing I noticed was the vastly different weight distribution to a normal bike. The Fatty has most of its weight in the wheels which seems like it gives a low centre of gravity and makes for a very stable ride.

As mentioned above the monster truck wheels need a bit of work to get them up to speed, but once there it flows the trails very well and seems to be able to hold a line in the corners very nicely. With all that rotating weight it does seem to need quite a lot of input to get it to turn in, but just throw your weight into the corner and it’s all good. In boggy trail conditions the huge tyres did a great job of floating over the gunk and holding the speed.

It took me a while to get used to riding full-rigid off rode again after 7 years of riding full-suspension but you soon learn to loosen up and let the bike do its thing. I’m rather enjoying the simplicity of the 1×10 gearing. It’s a bit of a grind on the hills, but my theory is that it will help be build fitness over the dark months.

Overall I’m very happy and glad I bought it.

Fatty! by jwrfooo, on Flickr

Fatty! by jwrfooo, on Flickr

trout
    Free Member

I keep talking myself out of wanting one but then these threads come along and get the wanting nerve all a jangle again

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

stu – what’s a bead lock look like?

You pretty much have it – the tyre bead squeezes onto a step by the rim sidewall, rather than being gripped by the hook on the sidewall.

brant
    Free Member

Brant.
    Is there a bead lock on your rims?
    Have you attempted to tubless them yet?
    When will they be available to buy?

Shaggy knows. He’ll be here soon.
    Will get sorted in new year ordering spares. Drilled rims and wheelsets etc.
    So April.

singlespeedstu

Ta.

Stoner
    Free Member

this is apprentely a stans rim cross section – tubeless happy

and this is a salsa gordo – tubeless sad

I dont get the difference?>

flashes
    Free Member

and I’d like a SS frame only option please Santa / Brant……..

singlespeedstu

Stoner.

There are a few people who have tooblessed the Gordo.

I think Salsa are just covering their own arses.

You can get most things to work with a bit of trial and error.

This has been running for ages toobless with 6psi in it.

(flaps now trimmed off) 😉

tubeless Nate on Large Marge. by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Slsa are probably covering their ass…but the step on the stans rims makes tubeless tyres a tight fit, so it must be accurate/a tight tolerance.

bedmaker

I tubelessed a Gordo Stoner and ran it for quite a while with no issues(Kenda Nev)

25mm Fibreglas strapping tape, stans valve and away you go 🙂

The fatty is a great deal but the lack of a granny put me off. I’ve ridden SS, 1×9, 1×10 for years now on my ‘normal’ bikes but find I use the granny on my Mukluk a lot.
    Not that a hugely big deal, but the quoted weights floating around for the fatty look like they were a touch ambitious 😉 Easy enough to knock some off though. I lost a pound and a half of rotating weight from my Muk the other day just by tubelessing it.
    It was done for performance reasons rather than weightweenieness but the weight loss is welcome nonetheless.

mattjg
    Free Member

Q: I’m currently running a 29er steel frame rigid, with a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front. How would the fattie differ? Just tyre contact patch and pressure?

On the flip side my bike (SS) is coming in at the 22lb mark. When I stand on the pedals, it goes. We’re talking about another 10 pounds or more for a geared fattie it looks.

druidh
    Free Member

Pretty much, yes.

mattjg
    Free Member

Pretty much, yes.

Yeah. An important variable tho.

I remain fairly fattie/Krumpus curious, would love a go on one for our (currently very soggy) XC and trail riding.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I ride a pugsley or moonlander in the forests of UK. With the right tyres (nates) these things excel in the mud. Looking forward to the delivery of the new moonlander mud tyres (bud and Lou) Charlie the bikemonger getting some in soon, although they may all be pre-orders. Through the summer, riding with endomorph and larry’s instead of nates, is superb. Your only pain is getting your tyre pressures correct, once correct you just clatter of anything in your way. Forget worrying about the correct line, just ride over it.

I have ventured to the beach a number of times which is great fun.

So in summary, fat is superb in the forests. Just get your tyre selection sorted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh – Member

mattjg » Q: I’m currently running a 29er steel frame rigid, with a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front. How would the fattie differ? Just tyre contact patch and pressure?

Pretty much, yes.

This is sarcasm, yes? Huge difference.

mattjg
    Free Member

No.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was referring to druid’s post, not yours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘On one fatty first impressions (anyone)’ is closed to new replies.