Home Forums Bike Forum On One Doofer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • On One Doofer
  • CTML
    Free Member

Got it in the post today to SS my 456. Not really familar with chain tensioners and it didn't come with instructions. While i was installing it, I managed to snap off one of the prongs attached to the washer, bit fragile i thought but nonetheless I continued to fit it. After the first ride i felt it didn't tension the chain tight enough (compared to a derailleur) and began to click every now and then (not slipping) so I was wondering 1.Did i snap off a vital component, like a part of a spring? 2.how can i tighten the tension further and 3.what was the clicking/noise?

TheSwede
    Free Member

That pin stops the washer turning / tensions the spring against the drop out. With out it the spring is not doing its job as the spring has a similar pin which locates in the back of the washer or the spring is loaded by the shaft turning against the pin stopping it turning on the drop out. Oh I know what I mean. Drill a hole in the washer where the pin was and put a small masonry nail in the hole and then trim it down. Hey presto. New pin. In theory. 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

if u can get it working, it's a great bit of reliable kit. it works and you forget about it. Perfect for a cheapo ss bike conversion. Much better that surly singulator.

CTML
    Free Member

So does that mean its facked already? well thats a tenner gone down the drain…thanks on-one

tron
    Free Member

I can see from that picture that the pin is vital to the function of the device. It does exactly the same thing as the pin on a V-brake does.

If you've actually got the thing in your hands and can't work out whether the pin's needed or not, you probably should give up doing mechanical things…

walleater

Teh clicking sound is probably from not having the tensioner lined up with the sprocket properly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘On One Doofer’ is closed to new replies.