Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • On One 456 Carbon XT Pro build weight?
  • underthesun
    Free Member

Has andybody got one of these?? I am interested in buying one yet I'm a little hesitant as On One specify on their website that the build weight is 26.5lbs for an XT build?? and yet the frame only weighs 3.3lb?? That seems damn heavy for a carbon hardtail. Or have they got the weight wrong??

hora
    Free Member

Its overbuilt though remember as its meant as a longer travel (than normal) carbon frame

clubber
    Free Member

Or is the weight more realistic than other quote maybe? 🙂

stumpy01

That seems damn heavy for a carbon hardtail.

Presumably the fork/wheels/tyres/finishing kit will be 'long-travel hardtail' compatible, rather than 'feathery XC' compatible, hence the weight.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Carbon does not always mean light, the whippet is only 50g lighter than the Scandal.

letmetalktomark

I did enquire about a Large frame and the response I got was that they were adamant that the frame did weigh 3.3lbs.

As above it could just be down to kit choice.

poppa
    Free Member

Standard (18") 456 weighs about 5.1lbs. Therefore an otherwise identical C456 should weigh about 1.8lbs less. Does 28.3lbs seem unreasonable for a steel 456 build?

That said, the important bits (wheels, fork) look sensible weight wise.

grumm
    Free Member

Does it really matter?

hora
    Free Member

How are people 'finding' the carbon 456 to live with?

poppa
    Free Member

How are people 'finding' the carbon 456 to live with?

It leaves it's underwear all over the bedroom floor and drinks milk straight from the carton.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My 'sensible' steel 456 build weighs 29lb, in unsensible guise it either weighs 27lb or 35lb 😀 but neither really suits it, the light one is pushing my luck and the heavy one is a bit of a dog on singletrack.

hora
    Free Member

Ah poppa I as worried by its manners and behaviour off the trail 🙁

underthesun
    Free Member

I appreciate that the bike would normally be built up burly but I was kinda hoping to race solo 24 hours on it as well as be able to blast down the trails in the Peaks so was kinda hoping for a 24lb build as its full XT on a 3.3lb frame. Just surprised by the 26.5lb weight really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

so was kinda hoping for a 24lb build as its full XT on a 3.3lb frame

Can't you do some sums and work it out?

clubber
    Free Member

Still sounds realistic to me – Revs and nothing really light on it – bet you'll find that other bikes' claimed weights are a way off so they're making 26.5lbs sound heavy by comparison.

thepodge
    Free Member

I weighed my trance X2 at ~29lbs which is mainly XT with nothing too light on it.

I'd be looking for well below 26.5 from a HT build

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My 456 carbon weighs 25lb ish with attention to detail rather than anything stupid light.

Magura Menja 130 fork with trimmed steerer
    Superstar Superleggera/Mavic 717 wheels with Ashima rotors
    Michelin XC tyres
    SLX Chainset + Mechs
    XT Shifters + XT discs
    Foam grips on FSA gravity light bars
    On-One stem

Would be sub 24lb easy with my Stans Olympic wheels, lighter tyres, Ritchey carbon bars and more X0 and XT off my full suss.

Not difficult and not unrealistic.

What wheels are on the stock supplied 456 carbon XT? 6 bolt rotors and wheels are probably lighter? Those Michelin tyres are heavy ish 600g+. Swapping to Conti Speedkings would save 200g a pair. Putting on foam grips saves 50g. Trimming the steerer tube saves another 50g or so. Carbon bars save 100g on the FSA ones.

Its not the groupset that will save the bulk of the weight, I thought there was only 100 – 200g difference between a full SLX and XT groupset and most of that in the chainset?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And at 25lb and stiffer than steel it seems to get bounced around on the rocks a lot more than the summer season I had which was 29lb. So being lighter isn't always a good thing.

dannytrialskings
    Free Member

Hi there guys.

This is danny from On-one. I have just gone into the show room to confirm the weight of the carbon 456 xt and it comes in at 24.9lb. I weighed all 4 bikes we have in the showroom. I have amended the site to show this. As said by other this is a long travel bike aimed for trail centre riding. We could have got it lighter but it would just compramise strength and we didnt want to do this. I have built mine up and it comes in at 22.9lb without really trying so it is possible to get a light build that you can still hammer. Hope this clears up a few things for you.

Cheers
    danny

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 Carbon XT Pro build weight?’ is closed to new replies.