Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Old School BMX terminology. Anybody still use?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Such as endo, bunnyhop, wheelie, back hops, front hops, side kick, cross up and of course meeting your girlfriend down the park and giving her a backie (ahem) on your rear pegs.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I remember the terms table top and cross over.

I was crap on a BMX though.

Fell off a Redline when I was 14 and hurt my tum on the bar end 😛

finbar
    Free Member

What's a "side kick"?

I don't think endo, bunnyhop, wheelie, back hops & front hops are really old school terms. Can't think of more modern equivalents anyway and people still do 'em.

I think cherry pickers and Switzerland squeakers are pretty much off the radar though.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

What else would you call all of those things? Am I out of the loop?

wrightyson
    Free Member

A side kick as far as I remember was jumping but kicking out the rear to the left or right. Is it not fashionable to now call a wheelie a manual and an edno a front manual? To be fair none of these are particularly relevant to mtb but I was feeling nostalgic as I was just thinking about my old diamond back I took down the tip! (small tear)

simon1975

Who remembers Kellogg's BMX Track Wars?

Riders ready, pedals ready, GO!!!

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

it not fashionable to now call a wheelie a manual and an edno a front manual?

No, because a wheelie is when you pedal it along and a manual is when you scoot or propeel it along with just momentum.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thankyou for clearing that one up matt. Well there we go another pointless thread Sent to the cyber grave yard! However I did love that riders ready, pedals ready, go moment when the start gate failed to drop and all went over the bars. Happy days 🙂

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Easy now, I didn't mean to pour boiling water on your ice cream.

I'm a fan of retro skateboard speak meself- anyone for a bongo?

meehaja
    Free Member

FUFANOOOOOO! Apparently this has become slang for lady bits, so when I tried to "pull a fufanoo off a rock" the local kids mocked me.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No I was being genuine, I did think they were the same thing. Oh and the only skateboard term I reckon I know is ollie (olly?) and that's because I spent most days of one particular summer attempting to get more than 10 mm off the ground!!

FuzzyWuzzy

I remember when the first vander roll was done, never tried one though…

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

To all mountainbikers…….
    THIS is a trackstand FFS!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

wrightyson, My and my "homeboys" still use most of them terms on our MTB's when doing the "skillz that pay da billz" or "shredding the rad"

Started to use them and all these old skool/american terms as a p155 take, but they have stuck now and we try and add more stupidy to each conversation, ie " That decent was awesome, im super stoked now" Gnarley.

If somoen could over hear us on the trails the would say WTF, its RIDIK !!

Loads more terms, "aerial" "a wilton" or "wilton 540" "Eddie Fiola the flying banana" "cross up" "table top" "bermtastic" "kickturn" "missy the misile" "Tiogadiscdrive Tomac"……….You catch my drift dude 😳

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

scruff
    Free Member

If anyone wants to come round my house I can show them my autographs from Bob Haro, Mike Dominguez, Eddie Fiola, Greg Hill, Eric Rupe , Stu Thomson, Harry Leary, Andy Ruffel etc etc etc.

S'funny the original local dirt jumps are still being used, I probably first went there in 1980.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I thought all those terms died a death years ago, until I saw Rachel Atherton call everything 'rad' and 'sick' and tell everybody how 'stoked' she was in an interview. The only thing I haven't figured out is if she's taking the piss, or if she seriously talks like that.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Anybody remember when the freestyle bmx championships used to be on the telly! All staged in some local gym, I'll never forget seeing the cherry picker pulled off for the first time! And also when some sick dude came in and did a pedal slide half way across the gyms shiny wooden floor! More memories flooding back.

Andy Ruffell just started riding again!

Billy Stupple rides for the Dialled Bikes 4X team.

RAD!

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I've still got loads of BMX/youth talk carry over, I guess my use of the words stoked, gnarly and awsome are no different from my gran talking about the wireless when she meant a radio. I didn't know they weren't acceptable until a few minutes ago.

I still haven't quite adjusted to useing the word DVD and often refer to watching a video.

I have ceased to wear baggy jeans down my butt though even if Jay Mirren, Matt Hoffman and Tony Hawk are all at least ten to fifteen years my senior.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

"And also when some sick dude came in and did a pedal slide half way across the gyms shiny wooden floor! More memories flooding back."

That was Andy Shohara, i was there, i couldn't believe what i was seeing!

Edric64
    Free Member

I have ceased to wear baggy jeans down my butt. Thats cos anyone who does looks a complete ****

Zedsdead
    Free Member

FOOTPLANT!

wrightyson
    Free Member

All those mint makes of stuff ya mum and dad refused to buy! Dyno, giro, mx, gt, haro pro, mongoose, skyway. God I miss the days of just a single speed…….

spokebloke
    Free Member

I had Z rims on mine and at the time they seemed like the perfect wheel – batter the crap out of them and they spring back straight!*

*within 20 degrees or so.

robdob
    Free Member

I thought all those terms died a death years ago, until I saw Rachel Atherton call everything 'rad' and 'sick' and tell everybody how 'stoked' she was in an interview. The only thing I haven't figured out is if she's taking the piss, or if she seriously talks like that.

Why is it so bad? I have always talked in "skater" speak to describe riding stuff. Sorry I'm not as "grown up" as you… Mind you, I think you'll find Matt Hoffman, Jamie Bestwick probably still do, so its ok with me.

I've still got loads of BMX/youth talk carry over, I guess my use of the words stoked, gnarly and awsome are no different from my gran talking about the wireless when she meant a radio. I didn't know they weren't acceptable until a few minutes ago

+1

I have ceased to wear baggy jeans down my butt. Thats cos anyone who does looks a complete ***

Oh, I've reached 34 years of age, am I meant to dress in a particular way to please you? Baggy cargo pants for work for me and skate shows (in an office!), you can keep your suit…

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Why is it so bad? I have always talked in "skater" speak to describe riding stuff. Sorry I'm not as "grown up" as you.

Never thought of it like that, but I'll take the compliment, cheers. 😉

jam-bo

RAD…

and BMX kids these days are more likely to be nicking their sister skinny fit jeans than wearing baggies…

vdubber67
    Free Member

spokebloke – Member

I had Z rims on mine and at the time they seemed like the perfect wheel – batter the crap out of them and they spring back straight!*

*within 20 degrees or so.

lol. I had them too. Hated to watch them 'boing' when I lent my bike to someone!

yunki
    Free Member

what was the freestyle bmx from somewhere around '84 ish..? it had a double brace on the handlebar… a kind of shopping rack extension at the top of the seatstays and little semi circular footrests on the fork and chainstays..

any ideas?

Haze
    ahwiles
    Free Member

some of us still ride BMX;

happy days!

_tom_
    Free Member

I've always called an endo that – don't like the sound of "stoppie". I've just started to get back into bmx, dunno if its gonna stick since mtb feels better for jumping and we don't have much street or park stuff about!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I had a RAD cap and can remember it when it was BMX Action Bike, Skateboard! was a great rag though, SM5D for bonus points.

Haze

SM5D

My Batman comics,
    My pubic lice,
    I'd swap them all
    For egg fried rice

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sweetness haze!!!!
    Oh and I forgot diacomp!
    The x10 of its time.

MrNutt
    Free Member

SM5d

scooter boy
    scooter girl
    head of a sponge
    spunk of a pearl

I'm sure on day remembering that will bring me great riches!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Old School BMX terminology. Anybody still use?’ is closed to new replies.