Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OK. I know someone asked this before but………TUBELESS!!!!!!
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So, I have Stans Flows. I seal with yellow tape, drillout the valve hole (inside only), fit the rubber tape with the valve in, pop the tyres on (Hans Dampf), slop the soap about, put the goo inside and inflate. With a track pump, very easily!

There was no ‘pop’ of a rim hopping on to the seat even at 40 psi and even after a couple of hours the tyres didn’t seal properly (much foam).

Did I need to put more air in (although Stan says never exceed 40) to seat the tyres?

Have I cocked it up by drilling and using the rubber tape/valve?

Any other tips, apart from “Go and buy some inner tubes”….?

Cheers

Chris

GregMay
    Free Member

Just make sure you slop the gunk about and it’ll seal. Sometimes depending on the tires you use they tend to lead like a M’fer. My Kenda Karmas needed a few layers of gloop. Awesome tires once they get it on!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Right.

Hans Dampf is tubeless ready and doesn’t need the rubber strip.

You don’t need to drill out the inner hole.

How do so many people get this wrong? RTFM. Its all there on the stans website if you do your reading BEFORE you get to the shiney new toys.

cakefacesmallblock

First go at tubeless for me today. Stan’s kit on oldish Mavic rims using Panaracer xcpro tyre. Old rim tape off. Cleaned rim. Fitted tape and valve. Fitted tyre. Slathered soapy water on tyre bead using paintbrush ( aiming for outer edge of bead mostly, but a somewhat avantgarde process ). Core out of valve . Two scoops of Stan’s goop into big syringe. Squirt goop into tyre. Refit valve core. Roll wheel back and forth round carport. Attach track pump. Pump like fury. Pump like fury some more. Pump like bloody fury. pump like bloody fury some more. Tyre starts to hold 20 psi, before deflating very slowly. Detach pump. Hold wheel up and kinda “hula” it (without wearing it). Slather round rim / sidewall with more soapy water. Attach pump. Inflate to 30 psi. Roll wheel round carport a bit more. I’ve been at this about 35 mins from cleaning wheel now. Make cuppa. Check pressure , still 30 psi. Fit wheel. Ride up and down road, like I just had my bike on Christmas Day. Open beer. Chuffed. We are now 4 hours further on and still at 30psi. Thanks to my mates who offered advice ( I had kit without instructions from a mate who decided he wasn’t convinced). Up thine to my sceptics.

Northwind

Pretty much exactly what Scienceofficer said.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I find that going for a quick ride seals things up pronto.

alzore
    Free Member

Yep, same here.. go for a quick ride and should sort it…

br
    Free Member

Hans Dampf is tubeless ready and doesn’t need the rubber strip.

AFAIK whether you need the rim-strip (cw valve) is dependent on the rim, and Flow’s are designed to work with just yellow tape – irrelevent of tyre.

And like most things in life – RTFM and use the right tools 🙂

chris_db
    Free Member

So why does Stan use a rim strip and Notubes sell a flow specific rim strip?

Feeling a bit upset now, I do like the sympathy people lavish about sometimes.

Northwind

chris_db – Member

So why does Stan use a rim strip and Notubes sell a flow specific rim strip?

To give you more options- frinstance, you might want to use a terrible Panaracer that’s as slack as a wizard’s sleeve. Some people just prefer it. But it’s definately not required, and their advice is to not use it.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The rimstrip will help the tyre seat and also help reduce the chances of burping. I use rimstrips on my 26″ Flows.

Drilling the rim is totally unnecessary though

slowboydickie

Don’t need the rubber tape if you used the yellow tape and no need to drill. Some tyres don’t give a pop, e.g. mud-x or most tubeless ready. Maxxis and Panaracer in my experience always do. to seal hold the wheel horizontal and move it up and down to splash the milk to the rim. Or spin it as fast as possible. Good luck.

chris_db
    Free Member

Oh well, great wheels nevertheless, I’ll stick the tubes in.

😀

oldnpastit

You need a big rush of air to pop the bead onto the rim.

Did you try inflating with the valve core removed? Sounds daft, but it really helps.

Failing that, use the amazing 2L coke bottle inflator, truly the greatest invention of modern times.

chris_db
    Free Member

So, quick question for the experts, could I use the larger Stans valve now I,ve enlarged the valve?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OK. I know someone asked this before but………TUBELESS!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.