Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Oireland!Oireland!Oireland!
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

That is all….

donsimon
    Free Member

You’re going down, boyo! 😉

backhander
    Free Member

Come on the irish!

GregMay
    Free Member

We’sa gonna kick your ass Welshies

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

It’s a pretty rousing anthem, isn’t it?

Is it the actual national anthem that they use? I see to recall that they use a different one for the rugby given that the team are representing the ‘island of Ireland’ rather than Eire alone.

GregMay
    Free Member

We get to use two.

Aran na bhfiann (The Soliders Song) which is our national anthem …probably not best to read the last few lines of the chorus if you have only heard it in Irish

Irelands Call is the …. something to the northern players. Personally i think its s**t.

It annoys me that we even use green, white, and purple (??) for our national cycling champions kit … such a joke.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Further to my last, just been reading about the somewhat complex issues surrounding the use of anthems at Ireland internationals…

For the benefit of any other puzzled English types like me:

The Irish rugby union team is one of a few national sporting teams on the island that draws widespread support in both Northern Ireland and the Republic, and from both nationalist and unionist communities. As Ireland represents players from different sovereign territories, there has been controversy over the flags and anthems. When Irish internationals were played alternately in Belfast and Dublin, the British national anthem “God Save the Queen” was played for matches in Belfast and the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland “Amhrán na bhFiann” was played for matches in Dublin. No anthem was played at away games.

Since April 1995, a specially composed anthem, “Ireland’s Call” has been used by the Irish team in away games.[15] This has prompted some players and supporters from the Republic to complain that “Amhrán na bhFiann” should be played.[16] At games played in Dublin “Ireland’s Call” is always used alongside “Amhrán na bhFiann”.[17] This use of “Amhrán na bhFiann” has caused similar complaints from players and supporters from Northern Ireland.[citation needed] With Ireland’s friendly game against Italy in the run up to the Rugby World Cup scheduled to be held in Belfast, there were calls for “God Save the Queen” to be used alongside “Ireland’s Call” but this was turned down by the IRFU[18] with the explanation given that it was not a ‘home’ match because the team would be playing “outside Ireland”.[19]

Similarly, the Irish tricolour, the official flag of the Republic of Ireland, is flown only when playing in the Republic. A flag with symbols representing the four provinces of Ireland is flown alongside the Irish tricolour in Dublin, and is used exclusively when playing elsewhere.[citation needed] At some matches, the standard of the island’s rugby union governing body, the Irish Rugby Football Union, is displayed on the field during pre-match ceremonies.[citation needed]
    [edit]

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Green white and purple?

Seems a bit bizarre given the green white and gold already represents both traditions.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cymru ……. get in…….

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

10 minutes is a long time when you’re playing Ireland!

GregMay
    Free Member

Yeah its due to the fact that Cycling Ireland is only the Republic and not the Northern counties.

Its a joke.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Okay, does the purple hold any historical/cultural significance?

GregMay
    Free Member

Cadburys is purple… so…

No.

GregMay
    Free Member

On another note…that was a crap game.

donsimon
    Free Member

GregMay – Member

Well and truly kicked. 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

Oireland!Oireland!Oireland! Wales

GregMay
    Free Member

GregMay – Member

Well and truly kicked.

Suppose if you’re going to take an illegal score…..

But lets be honest…it was a poor game.

Well done Wales…this time

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

What was the controversy with this game?

I was entertaining some dogs in the garden (actual dogs for a change!) so didn’t see the whole shebang.

donsimon
    Free Member

Suppose if you’re going to take an illegal score…..

Why didn’t the ref disallow it then? He had all the modern technology available, no?
    From what I saw of the first half, there was some nice running rugby. A bit too much kicking, but hey ho! Wales stopped Ireland from playing, and won, end of.

backhander
    Free Member

shit game. Sympathies to ireland, it’s not nice to lose purely due to poor officials (video ref wasn’t permitted for that).

anagallis_arvensis

it’s not nice to lose purely due to poor officials

they didnt, they lost to a poor wales team because they themselves are poor, wales gave them every opportunity to win it but they couldnt

tankslapper
    Free Member

Bollox!

Well done Wales! 😆

Dead men coming through!

whytetrash

As Hooky said we’ll take an ugly win, Shane hurdled an arm (ok) and jd not held after tackle, Wales penalised for knockon when ball ripped by Irish Hand..Caplin not on form so take a bit of luck thanks…COME ON SCOTLAND!

baldSpot
    Free Member

We get to use two.

Aran na bhfiann (The Soliders Song) which is our national anthem …probably not best to read the last few lines of the chorus if you have only heard it in Irish

Irelands Call is the …. something to the northern players. Personally i think its s**t.

It annoys me that we even use green, white, and purple (??) for our national cycling champions kit … such a joke.

partition; ain’t it a drag! 😉

gwaelod
    Free Member

If the ref disallowed the welsh try then he’d have had to do something about actually reffing the irish at the breakdown…and that was a task that was too big for him.

G
    Free Member

Come on people, this is rugby. We don’t argue the toss about refereeing. What goes around come around, and we treat good fortune as just that, a fickle mistress, who mgith be sleeping in someone elses bed next time.

Overall, the reality is that we (the English) are exerting our superiority on the tournament this time, next time may be different, but its a sport played in a sporting way, and it is not about bragging, it is about enjoying the highs and the lows equally.

donsimon
    Free Member

its a sport played in a sporting way, and it is not about bragging, it is about enjoying the highs and the lows equally.

Are you sure you’re English?

backhander
    Free Member

they didnt, they lost to a poor wales team because they themselves are poor, wales gave them every opportunity to win it but they couldnt

Really?
    So the try was completely legit? Jonathon davies was lying then?
    Maybe you should phone the BBC and tell them that their pundits don’t know the rules.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

their pundits don’t know the rules

Does anyone know the rules to rugby?

it’s just a mass of nutters with funny ears and bent noses, in a melee with a melon to me?

Walter Camp had the right idea IMHO!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The try shouldn’t have been allowed! Backhander was Jonathon Davies going by what he’d seen and not seen the replay?
    If you take a quick penalty after the ball has gone out of play it HAS to be the SAME ball and not a different one. So ball goes off and is bouncing through the crowd, Welsh grab a new ball from sidelines, take quick penalty, Irish are snoozing and score a try. It isn’t legal but like in all sport that’s the ref and linesmans fault for not identifying it and pulling them up!

Come on Scotland today …. nail the f…..

hilldodger
    Free Member

G – Member
    but its a sport played in a sporting way, and it is not about bragging, it is about enjoying the highs and the lows equally.

Well said G 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Scotland today? A walk in the park for the English 😉

brakes
    Free Member

Andy Robinson sounded like he had little hope when interviewed!

molgrips
    Free Member

On another note…that was a crap game.

I dunno. The conditions were terrible, hence the kicking. Although if I were Ireland I’d have attempted a bit more. They did seem to give up a bit in the last 20. However they woke up in the last 3 or 4 and threw the kitchen sink at Wales who finally managed to defend well.

Not a bad game – not the best for sure, and much as it pains me to say it neither team up to the standards of the English.. 🙁

tankslapper
    Free Member

The Millennium Stadium conditions are always poor….

TBF Ireland has been cruising for that result for a long time – quite apart from a national side that relies too heavily on O’Gara, O’Drisscol and Stringer.

anagallis_arvensis

Really?
    So the try was completely legit? Jonathon davies was lying then?
    Maybe you should phone the BBC and tell them that their pundits don’t know the rules

No it wasnt a legit try but Wales simply kicked the ball to the irish and let them attack all game and they failed to take advantage because they arent very good, one pass at the end could have won it for them but the numpty went for glory. An ireland side with a clue would still have won the game. Their backrow is horribly unbalanced too.

backhander
    Free Member

I don’t disagree. Ireland just could not get through and they had enough of it. Hooks gotta stay at 10 now hasn’t he?

Backhander was Jonathon Davies going by what he’d seen and not seen the replay?

This was after the match, with the replays and he had also consulted the rule book. He said categorically it wasn’t a try (bet that hurt).
    These things happen in sport, still not a nice way to lose a test is all I’m saying.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Oireland!Oireland!Oireland!’ is closed to new replies.