• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by doh.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Oilers! Chain and cable, any good?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

My lubrication questions are twofold.

1. My brother bought me a Scottoiler for a bicycle as he uses one on his motorbike and swears by it. I’ve had it about 3 years and never fitted it, does anyone use one and what is your experience of it?

2. Middleburn cable oilers, now these seem like a much better idea. If you’ve fitted them can you tell me if it’s worth it and where about on the cables did they go?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Not used a Scott Oiler, but I’d have thought the last place you want lube on a chain is the outside?

I use XTR coated and pre-lubed (greased) cables, no lubing required.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Scottoilers are alright as long as it isn’t really wet out, the lube washes off very easily.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I use the middleburn doofers. Usually fit a few inches upwind of bare cables. I buy cheapo teflon coated ebay inners. A blast of GTxx every month or so and alls dandy in my cable world. Despite mud, winters and a serious love of snow riding.

I’ve never had one single cable sticking / stiction issue. That might be coincidence but I’ll happily buy them again.

cookeaa

A chain oiler makes sense on a Motorbike as they will fling oil off the chain, seeing as the chain is moving far faster so steady metered lubrication makes more sense, for an MTB all you will be doing is adding oil to the already contaminated greasy shite on your chain…

Probably just better off taking the time to clean and re-lubricate your chain properly if you want it to last…

as for cable oilers never had a a problem with either sectional outers or a full length run; wipe clean at the ends from time to time, apply a few drops to the cable, shift back and fourth a few times, then wipe away the excess… But I guess cable oilers won’t do any harm if you fit them so why not…

z1ppy

I do recommend Middleburn cable oilers but only use the on interrupted cable runs, don’t see the point on full length runs. As you don’t get the dirt ingress like you do on short exposed lengths. Also it’d just wash out the grease on my SP41 cables

Northwind

Scottoilers are great in their place, and that place is on a motorbike. Wouldn’t be without one.

Cable oilers seem to be a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist any more tbh, good quality sealed cables don’t need them.

doh
    Free Member

stuartlangwilson – Member
    Scottoilers are alright as long as it isn’t really wet out, the lube washes off very easily.

thats the whole point of it tbh a quick rinse with water and the chain and everything that touches it is sparkly clean and if it is that wet the water acts as the lube.
    been using one for years and really like it i used to get about 500miles out of a chain but with the SO i get about 800 (GPS geek so i know my milages)
    the only downside is you need to start with a degreased chain for it to be much use.

i don’t use oil/grease on cables rubbing a candle on them once is much better at keeping them clean and clear imho.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Absolutely doh, the problem was the rate at which i went through the bottle of lube. It’s in a drawer at the moment and i may refit at some point. Made just outside glasgow too, a local ride goes past the factory.

fourbanger
    Free Member

800 miles out of a chain? What are you ridding in?!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Middleburn cable oilers are brilliant I use em on all my bikes and the cables only get replaces when the outers are cosmetically shot

I even use em on my 456 which has full length outers all the oilers are fitted in the middle of the outer lengths so any crap gets blown out. I never get a problem with friction affecting my shifting.

In reply to the above posts about sealed cables I have tried all sorts Gortex et all bloody expensive and the do not last long ( for me). But hey each to there own. I just like the cheapskate options.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Middleburn oilers are a great idea, I’ve ran them on my bikes for years, only issue I ever had was mud once blocked the oil in them, but was silly muddy.

Northwind

saladdodger – Member

In reply to the above posts about sealed cables I have tried all sorts Gortex et all bloody expensive and the do not last long ( for me). But hey each to there own. I just like the cheapskate options.

XTR’s not all that expensive and they last, well, tbh I don’t know how well they last as they’ve always outlived my frames :mrgreen: So now I’m just endlessly reuisng the cable ends, buying cheap outer off the roll and sticking in even cheaper stainless inners and they work perfectly for very little money

StirlingCrispin

I’ve run Scottoilers for 6 years – wouldn’t be without them: brilliant bit of kit. A lot of my friends run them too.

Water-soluble lube (differing from the motor bike kits) so it just washes off and cleans the chain as you cycle through a burn or puddle. Water is a lubricant so just squeeze the squid when the trail and chain dries out. All I ever do to clean the bike is use tap water and a soft brush – the chain and cassette look like new.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, another Middleburn user here – used them for years on both interrupted and full-length outers – depending on placement they help prevent cable rub too.

doh
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member
    800 miles out of a chain? What are you ridding in?!

lots of scottish lovelyness.
    800 miles for a chain good or bad ❓
    chain changed when it gets between 0.75 and 1 on the chain gauge.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Oilers! Chain and cable, any good?’ is closed to new replies.