Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Offset bushings – Nukeproof Mega
  • Mintyjim

Hmm, after about 10 hours worth of riding trying to like my new Nukeproof Mega, including the DH tracks at Cwmcarn, Blaenau, XC and Forest of Dean antics, I came to the conclusion I didn’t much like it. It just felt meh and badly weighted, as in the CoG was too front biased.

Sooo rather than lose bucket loads of cash selling it I thought I’d make some modifications to answer the problems as I saw them, namely the H/A is too steep and the rear shock tune is shi’ite.

On Friday gone I fitted a set of off-set bushes from Burgtec. Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday morning sessioning at FoD and what a transformation. Much happier on it, which I admit may have something to do with more time spent on it.

However, and now I come to point of my dull ramble (sorry, anything not to work!), I took the shock off this morning to send to Loco and saw that the rear bush has rotated 45deg anti-clockwise.

having done a little research into offset bushes I was lead to believe that they will not rotate.

Anyone else had this?

Still recommend them for this bike, felt loads better but, rather surprisingly, I still prefer the ride of a 2009 Remedy 8! Hopefully Loco can sort the shock and I’ll be happy.

brant
    Free Member

Mega too steep? Really?

ART

Mega too steep? Really?

This.

Plus, if you’ve got a Monarch RT3 – it’s the shock – change that and you’ll be right. Don’t understand why they keep speccing these shocks on otherwise sorted frames – see for e.g. MBR’s comment on the revamped Dixon this month.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mintyjim

Yes it has the RT3, point taken on the too steep comment ( I appreciate that it’s hardly considered steep per the factory spec’s) however it felt so much better with the offset bushes which dropped the BB and slackened the H/A. Honestly I really started to finally enjoy the ride

I won’t ask the dreaded question ‘what shock’ because 1) I can’t justify spending much more money and 2) I know it’s been done to death on here!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What forks and headset are on it?

kelvin

You have tried running more sag in the rear sock, yes?

Mintyjim

The supplied Nukeproof external cup and Lyrik’s at 160mm travel.

Mintyjim

Kelvin, that’s the main problem with the shock. At 30% sag it’s fairly plush but blows through the travel really easily on any mild step down or rock garden. Any firmer and it’s too firm.
    Looking at getting the HV reduced, this worked wonders when I did it to the RP23 on the Remedy

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I agree on the shock but surprised about the head angle. 170mm forks/external cup was too slack me on all round trail/mini dh use but is fantastic with internal lower cup.

Interested to hear what effect volume tweaks make.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The mount kit can rotate in the bush if it’s on a frame linkage where there is a lot of rotation (like the Mega).

You might find you end up only being able to run the front on (not subject to any real rotational forces).

Mintyjim

Strangely I never thought the H/A on mine looked right! It actually looks quite steep considering the other Mega’s I’ve seen on the trail or in pics. I’ll check the angle when the shock comes back and see what it is.

Mintyjim

Hob Nob, that’s exactly the one that did rotate and I guessed that would be the reason. Just 22 quid down the pan!

Mugboo

Interested to see how the shock turns out. Most people just buy a new one but I’m going to get Loco to have a fiddle with mine this winter.

Please report back once you’ve ridden it.

Mintyjim

Weeeell, I got Loco to tune the standard RT3 shock and reduce the volume…

Since I got it back I’ve ridden XC and DH on it at the same pressure with 30% sag and it’s a huge improvement. 6 foot step downs, rock gardens followed by long granny ring climbs are all handled with much more comfort and grace.

I can only recommend this route, and Loco, to improve your Mega.

I also pick up a Fox Van RC off here to try out but still need to source the correct spring, so looking fwd to seeing how that does too.

Finally a massive thanks to Loco! Did a great job and always helpful on the phone.

banks
    Free Member

Want to buy my remedy 9 2009 frame 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

I run a Van R, customed tuned by Jtech, seems great to me.

The monarch in standard form is gash, good news Loco sorted it for you..might have to go down that route to get it sorted.

Mugboo

Funnily enough, i emailed Loco this morning about this very subject 🙂 I’ll whip it off and post it this afternoon!

scaled
    Free Member

how much is the mod/tune from Loco? to save myself an email!

Mintyjim

I think it was about £40 with return post, maybe £45…money well spent.

Although it does beg the question how did NP get it wrong in the first place? Why spec the high volume can when a low volume works better?

Mugboo

Maybe, by going high volume it allows for tuning. They are so cheap, why not?

freeridenick
    Free Member

wow, thats good value.

TF would charge for a full service as well I suspect!

deus

I reduced the pressure in the IFP chamber and mine’s working a lot better now. Initially i had the same issues with getting it to run sweet.
    Very easy to do provided you have the correct adapter/ can modify an existing one.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Hmm, after about 10 hours worth of riding trying to like my new Nukeproof Mega, including the DH tracks at Cwmcarn, Blaenau, XC and Forest of Dean antics, I came to the conclusion I didn’t much like it. It just felt meh and badly weighted, as in the CoG was too front biased.

The Mega feels front biased because it has a really quite short head tube length, it’s noticeably shorter than my old mans mega which means with the same bars and stack height it feels a lot lower and more aggressive (I personally love this, as bikes with a heavier front weight bias turn better)

It’s not the head angle that is the problem at all. Again despite being steeper my old mans nomad feels considerably more rear biased because of it’s more upright riding position caused by the combo of the head tube length, stem length and bars.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Offset bushings – Nukeproof Mega’ is closed to new replies.