Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • OE car exhausts last longer?
  • benz
    Free Member

Presume I know why….warranty, etc, but are oe exhaust systems built using better quality aluminised steel than the usual replacements by Klarius, etc?

Would have thought there are only so many exhaust manufacturers, but then again perhaps not…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Dunno in general but kwikfit last about 18 months ime. Strangely modern cars dont seem to need them til about 10 years old. When I started driving – they were explicitly excluded from warranty – that’s probably showing my age!

Offroading
    Free Member

Oe exhausts are excellent quality, i have a BMW which is 14 years old and the exhaust is still fine.

Kiwkfit and the likes will fit aftermarket exhaust from the likes of Euroflow which are completely utter guff. They rust out rapido.

Dibbs
    Free Member

When my 12 year old Sharan (I’d had from new) went for scrappage a couple of years ago it still had the original exhaust system and battery after 128,000 miles.
    My father in law bought a Siera estate around the same time and he was replacing the exhaust back box every 18 months or so. I put it down to the fact he only did short runs (2 or 3 miles) and the exhaust never dried out.

mboy
    Free Member

As Dibbs said, short runs, combined with stop start traffic, kill exhausts. Long motorway journeys with fairly constant flow, and an exhaust will last an age.

OEM exhausts are generally much better quality (but more expensive) than the likes of the cheapo ones you’ll get from Kwik-Fit etc. You can of course go the other way though, and get properly expensive full stainless systems (not barry-boy ones with 5″ bean cans on the back for a Corsa) from the likes of Tubi-Style, Ansa etc. Often with a lifetime warranty on it too. But it will cost!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Like with anything, depends on the quality of the car. My fathers BMW still has the same exhaust from top to bottom after 21 years and over 200,000 miles. My Toyota had one at 75k. My Peugeot had one at 70. Best value is a stainless system which should last forever essentially.

pinches
    Free Member

i put a genuine VW full system on my polo rally car roughly 9yrs ago still going strong, although is showing signs of being tired after the cars been in storage for 3yrs.

If its a car you use regularly where the engine is run upto temp evacuating any condensation thats created during the night then a good quality exhaust will last for a long time, it’s only if they’re stood or used for continual short journeys they tend to rot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘OE car exhausts last longer?’ is closed to new replies.