Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Obligatory Trail conditions thread – Long Mynd & Llyn Cowlyd please?
  • chr15
    Free Member

Well the weather seems to have relieved itself all over my chips for the trip I had planned Tuesday to Friday next week. Plan was Cannock Tuesday, Long Mynd Weds, then 2 days based in Llanberis for Snowdon/Llyn Cowlyd/trail centre riding depending upon conditions.

So, Cannock looks unlikely to be worthwhile by Tuesday, and I’ll leave Snowdon until later in the summer and deal with the voluntary ban. Any info/crystal ball predictions for what Long Mynd will be in a few days gratefully received please.

And also for Llyn Cowlyd (starting Capel Curig) – or should I expect to ride trail centres only?

Many thanks,

Chris.

cakefest
    Free Member

Here in Ludlow south of Long Mynd has lots of snow above 100m in the forests, fields and woods. Trails are super frozen here and dry so studded tyres are great on icy fireroads for turbo charged sketchy descending. Not showing much sign of shifting for at least a few days either.

Long Mynd is of course up to 500m, and looks covered with snow from here.

chr15
    Free Member

Thanks CF – So would you expect the slightly warmer weather forecast over the weekend to turn it into a sludgy/slushy mess lower down with the tops still snowy?

mrhoppy

Basically yes.

trusty

Blazing Bikes at Marshbrook described the snow on the Mynd as “thinning” on FB this morning, might be worth giving them a call though. All the other hills in the area seem to have a good covering though (another ludlow rider here)

saxabar
    Free Member

Not a chance on Llyn Cowlyd. Along the A5 between Capel Curig and Bethesda it’s a minimum of a foot and much higher where it has drifted.

Speshpaul

Its melting today here in Minsterley, but the hills stiperstones and the mynd are still covered, will be a mud bath once thawed.

yesterday there was still 6inchs of snow up the middle of the A5 and A483 past Oswetry and wrexham

chr15
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys… Am in the process of cancelling my accomm.s – The Long Mynd hostel have given me a ‘store credit’ so I’ll definitely be down for a ride sometime, just not until the conditions perk up a bit!

pdw
    Free Member

Can anyone give an update on Long Mynd conditions? Heading to the area today and hoping to get out on Monday. Baby sitting arrangements have been planned for months so really hoping we can get out…

funkybaj
    Free Member

Thinking of heading over tomorrow so also interested to see how it’s looking.

plushhill
    Free Member
    SandCrab

I went yesterday, a good foot of snow on the top and too soft to ride on. Carried/pushed for 10k of a 13k ride, I’d give it a miss if I were you.

Chris

ninenailspete
    Free Member

Chris – I think I may have followed your tyre tracks yesterday. Left the bike in the car, though!

oli82
    Free Member

I went up the Mynd today – heavy going. Batches in the sun are ok-ish, up top is pretty unrideable.

a few pics

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Obligatory Trail conditions thread – Long Mynd & Llyn Cowlyd please?’ is closed to new replies.