Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Oakley Jawbreaker, prizm lenses?
  • richen987
    Free Member

Hi, looking at buying some new riding glasses.
    Have read a few reviews of the jawbreaker and prizm lenses, people seem to think they are quite good.
    I liked the idea of the increased top line vision and the changeable arm length – small head.
    Wondering if anyone has any experience of them, especially with the prizm lens, are they any good?
    Are the prizm as good or better than the chromatic,
    I ride mainly in wooded areas.
    Any insight would be great Cheers.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve not tried the jawbreaker so can’t comment on those but I have both transition and prizm (trail) lenses.

If I could only have one, it’d be the transition – it does everything from night riding to sunny rides. The prizm is good on days when it’s not too bright but tbh, I’ve been a little underwhelmed by them – they’re no better than persimmon lenses of old imo.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’ve got a small head I wouldn’t get Jawbreakers, they’re massive!

As a fellow pinhead I’ve found Radars and Radarlocks spot on. Jawbones not quite so good for me. Re: lenses, I really like the Prizm Trail tint, but it’s still a tint, the Clear Black Iridium is a fantastically versatile lens, just be careful with them, the coating comes off. My jawbone ones did a couple of years.

Sigma had a good deal on Radarlocks – £70 for Clear Black Iridium lenses, try Bluenty for glasses themselves, they do a gloss black frame with clear and Prizm Trail lenses.

richen987
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, very useful, especially the thin head bit.
    Have been using fast jackets with clear black chromatic for a while and like them,
    But have snapped one of the lenses and fancied somthing new.
    Will check the radars out.

Anu other views on prizm lenses?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have a set of jaw breakers with prism lenses. As njee said they are a lot of glasses and won’t suit everyone’s face/head. I have the prism lens and really like them. Everything seems to be in HD when I’ve got them on.

timb34
    Free Member

I’ve been using a pair of Radar EVs with the Prizm Trail lens. The EV bit (similar to the Jawbreaker) is great – I really notice the top edge of frames when I go back to other glasses now.

For the Prizm lenses I strongly suspect that how amazing they seem depends a lot on the colour perception that your eyes already produce. Unfortunately I’m on the underwhelmed end of the spectrum, but I guess that means that my eyes are already evolved for trail use… I also find the Trail lenses a bit lightly tinted for really bright conditions, but the field of view is so good that I’m using them for the road as well at the moment.

richen987
    Free Member

Awesome feedback, thank you,
    Seems like prizm is a bit marmite
    Ev worth a go for coverage and
    Jawbreaker are huge
    now to go try some new glasses on 😀

T666DOM

The prizm road lens is great, I’ve got the Jawbreaker with the prizm road and the photochromatic shield, the shape is spot on for a road/cross bike, I’ve not tried them on my fatty.

dingleberry
    Free Member

I find the Prizm Trail is brilliant off road, really brightens everything and makes things stand out – taking them off everything is suddenly dull and flat. 😀

Got a Prizm Road lens for on the road bike, but isn’t as great – Quite dark in anything other than really sunny conditions. Not bad, just doesn’t stand out like the Trail, don’t think I’d recommend it over a standard black lens.

Edit: Jawbreakers are massive, but that’s what so good about them, almost like goggles! 😆

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve got the Jawbreakers and find the Prizm lenses the best I’ve ever used, not worn them on the MTB under the trees from sunlight to dark canopy but would say that the clarity is fantastic, I wear sunglasses all year especially for driving and every time I ride except for when I forget them, I’ve got the ruby lense in Prizm and it filters out light as you would expect but the vision and hue it gives is very calming and relaxing on the eye, I got a yellow lense as well and this is what I’ve worn all winter, The last few rides I’ve noticed the subtle venting on top of the lense just beneath the frame where slits are wafts air onto my eye lids, sounds a bit weird granted But it actually feels quite refreshing,

The only downside to the glasses OR goggles as they are as mentioned above quite large is the fact the the stems are a bit sharp on top of the ears after a few hours, last few times I’ve ridden I put them on after my helmet so the stems are on the straps and not on the ears pressed down, not Shure what the etiquette is but I kinda figured that out the hard way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Jawbreaker, prizm lenses?’ is closed to new replies.