Home Forums Bike Forum Nukeproof mega TR?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Nukeproof mega TR?
  • toys19
    Free Member

Is this any good? Anyone got one?
    Will it go nicely with my 150mm MArzocchi 55 cr’s.

Nukeproof Mega TR

tops5
    Free Member

I’ve got one – it’s superb and I’m selling it ;)

I recall you are a fellow Covert rider – you’ll love the Tr!

toys19
    Free Member

why you sellin? What size?
    Yup I have a covert, want something a bit less overkill for trails, I love my BFe but am getting old and could do with a bit of rear travel just for comfort. The reviews say it feels like a hardcore hardtail with some squish. Sounds ideal..

tops5
    Free Member

Selling because Transition have made me an offer I can’t refuse on crash replacement for the old Covert. I can’t have both and the Covert edges it as it can do DH days (mind you the Tr was ace at BPW)

The TR is a better all day bike but will have to get used to dragging the Covert round again.

It’s a Medium and will be frame only (with headset and nicely matching grips/seat)

toys19
    Free Member

Ahh need a small. Bum.
    I might be lucky enough to have the luxury of both, will see what transpires..

transition1
    Free Member

If you like the Covert what about a Bandit? It is a great bike more all day bike than the covert I have had both

toys19
    Free Member

I would, but I can’t find a small 26 bandit for sale.

transition1
    Free Member

Might have a small bandit 27.5 although it is complete bike as built it up couple weeks ago at work
    26″ Bandits hard to come by & if you have a small Covert def Med bandit as they come up smaller that the Covert

jimmy

Just bought a 26″ Tr and so far love it. I mean, really love it. I didn’t think it would really top the asr5 which I replaced because the small was too big, but it’s just a whole load of fun more.

toys19
    Free Member

Transition1
    I don’t want to go 27.5 yet..
    TBH small covert is a tad too big anyway so I think a small bandit would be fine.

Jimmy I’m slightly confused, was the Small ASR too big? How does the Mega Tr come up size wise?

toys19
    Free Member

Bump for evening crew-anyone else got one?

stcolin
    Free Member

Evening. Yes, owned my TR for about two months. Great bike, really like it. Climbs well and although it’s not the lightest bike, all day rides aren’t a problem. Recently got RS Revelations and the match the rear shock better than the vanillas I had before.

Buy one, you’ll not regret it.

bullroar
    Free Member

I love my BFe …… could do with a bit of rear travel just for comfort. The reviews say it feels like a hardcore hardtail with some squish. Sounds ideal..”/

That is why I am also looking at a Mega TR, have you checked the sizing? I ride a small BFe but the TR is best (for me) at Medium. I’m also considering a Saracen Ariel 14X frame, any views on that option appreciated.

tops5
    Free Member

160mm Lyriks on mine BTW feels perfect.

danjthomas
    Free Member

I almost bought one but the stumpy evo seamed a better choice at the time. Although, thinking back, it cost more by the time I turned changed every part except the frame and seat post. Guess I’ll go frame only from now on.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

I built mine yesterday (bought frame only). Got my first proper ride tomorrow but not greatly impressed with the quality. Several of the bolt holes for cable guides were threaded and had minor play with rear wheel/maxle.

toys19
    Free Member

How are you guys finding the standover? I’m 5ft5″ with a 29″ inside leg (in socks, groin to ground.)

toys19
    Free Member

Look its 16:50, the cricket is over, it might still be sunny, but can all you short Mega TR riders come in from outside and log on to the forum now please. I have an itchy trigger finger to buy and need more reassurance. Thanks.xxx

crashmagnet
    Free Member

Sorry I’m 5ft10 on a large, standover is fine for me. If you order just the frame I would strongly suggest you check all bolt holes thoroughly as half mine for the cable guides were threaded. I need to re-tap the when I pick up a die.

If I could have been bothered I should have sent it back but i’d spent 3 hours building the bike up.

toys19
    Free Member

Cool, if you are 5ft10″ on a large that kind of implies the sizing is a little small. Hopefully I should be fine on a small.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

At 6’1″ I can’t help with stand over however two rides in I can thoroughly recommend the frame.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

The frame performs well, no question. It’s a tad on the heavy side and build quality is not what it should be.

Simonpieman
    Free Member

Bike is excellent, very capable and versatile. I am 6ft on a large doesn’t really help you, can you compare reach and stack versus your current bike? Stand over shouldn’t be a problem.

rick@twelve50bikes
    Free Member

Big end of season sale on Nukeproof Mega bikes and frames at Twelve50 if you’re looking for one.
    https://twelve50bikes.com/shop/search/mega

deanfbm
    Free Member

I have one, 3 of my friends have them, really good, rapid, fun, capable.

Comes with cheap bearings, no other quality issues to report amongst us.

Debatable where the sweet spot for the forks is. I’ve run mine pikes at 160, 150 and now 140 on it. 160 did upset the climbing a bit, travel felt too mismatched, got a bit steep on steep stuff. Settled on 150mm and offset shockware for a bit, so lowered the bb a couple of mm and would have put the HA at around 66*, absolute rocket on serious terrain, too much for a trail bike on trail bike terrain really. 140 with normal shock hardware brought the fun back again trail riding, still feel just as confident on steep gnar.

Will happily do a 50 mile XC route and go ride some DH tracks on it the following day.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

I’ve got 150’s on at the moment but they’re only fox fit 32’s. Rides well enough but I’m sure larger stanchions would improve things.

p7rich
    Free Member

Love my 26″ version. Had mine for c600 miles. Bought frame only. Night and day compared to the Santa Cruz it replaced. I’m 6’2″ on an XL and standover never an issue. Running mine with 150mm Floats too. No major quality issues for me. Just had to replace some bushes at the back end to remedy a recognised creaking issue. Oh, and the paint chips if you just look at it. All this pales into insignificance alongside the fun i’ve had on it.

toys19
    Free Member

Rick@twelvebikes your link does not work. This should do it.
    https://twelve50bikes.com/shop/default.aspx?search=mega

But irrelevant for me as you don’t have any 26″ frames…

Northwind

A mate of mine has the 26er one, he loves it. Not light but from the little riding I’ve done with it, the dimensions feel great… (though, I think it’s maybe a large, I’m usually a medium). Cool frame for the money.

toys19
    Free Member

NW has he had any creaking issues?
    There is a thread about it here

Alex

I have an 26in AM from the CRC sale early this year. I’m 5ft11 with 31inch legs and there is lots of stand over on the medium. I bought the AM as it had a longer TT than the TR. Might not be the same for 650b. Great bike, build quality is a bit iffy but I paid about £700 for mine and it’s been brilliant fun to ride both here and in the alps.

Northwind

toys19 – Member

NW has he had any creaking issues?

I don’t think so- it’s quieter than my bikes anyway :lol:

denmark2
    Free Member

Bought my nukeproof mega tr275(2013) from crc a few weeks ago and have got few rides, love the snappiness when pedalling, great handling and jumps really well. im 191cm and bought a 18,5″ frame, runs a 70mm stem and it feels just right…i tightend all of the bolts in the links as there was som play in the rear end, now the only problem is a leaking rock shox monarch damper…

toys19
    Free Member

Last shout out to the short riders,  I want to press go, but worried about standover, any 5ft 5 or less riders got one of these?

toys19
    Free Member

Righty then, its ordered.. Watch this space.

deviant
    Free Member

Enjoy, post pics when you get it.

…i think my LBS are getting annoyed with me constantly riding their couple of examples round the carpark without actually buying yet!

toys19
    Free Member

OK one year later just about. I want to report back on my Mega TR 26er.
    Its been awesome so far!

toys19
    Free Member

It did have a creak, CRC sent me a replacement bush, which got rid of the creak.
    Other than that is a great bike, climbs OK but descends really well which is my preference.. The climbing is a means to an end.

core

Mini PSA – Pearce Cycles in Ludlow have an offer on Mega TR’s: http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/1664

toys19
    Free Member

oohh if only they had large I have mate in the market for something like this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof mega TR?’ is closed to new replies.