Home Forums Bike Forum Nukeproof mega 2013 creaking

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Nukeproof mega 2013 creaking
  • rab5474
    Free Member

I have just finished build a mega am and if you grab the rear wheel and give it a pull there is a loud creak from the rear end. One of my riding buddies has just bought a brand new mega tr and has the same problem. Has anyone came accross this before abd know of a fix?

Cheers
    Rab

kayak23

Have you both tried it without the wheel?
    Could be the wheels maybe?
    Checked all the bolts are done up properly? They sometimes may not be from the factory..

shredder

Hmm not quite the same but my TR frame has a clicking / creak coming from
    the rear end. Have looked at / eliminated all the usual suspects.

Seems to be under load as somethings loose or too tight dry???

raisinhat
    Free Member

Grease and torque all the bolts to the specified torque?
    Check the maxle is done up tight?
    Make sure it’s not coming from the wheel (spokes or bearings)?
    Undo the shock and cycle the bike to make sure everything is smooth?

I’ve just finished building mine and it doesn’t make any noise at all, but that doesn’t really help you out.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Yep, same thing with my mega. Narrowed it down to the seat stay pivot bolts being lose and needing grease. The knocking went but has now returned I think due to a cracked bolt which I’ve bunged a break mount bolt in for now.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Yep, same thing with my mega. Narrowed it down to the seat stay pivot bolts being lose and needing grease. The knocking went but has now returned I think due to a cracked bolt which I’ve bunged a break mount bolt in for now.

travo
    Free Member

Check for play in the rear chainstay pivots, I know three people who have bought 2013 megas and all had play in the bearings/pivot points, all became obvious after the first ride on them.
    They all got fixed under warranty, something to do with needing spacers in the pivot points. It’s a known issue and is easily sorted.

rab5474
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys guys, il wing an email of to nukeproof and see what they say about the chainstay pivots

GEDA
    Free Member

Mine creaked on the main pivot bearings. There are spacers between the bearings and the frame that do not fill the space as they are smaller than the bearibg and I am sure mud gets in. Anyway I cleaned and greased then and the creak went.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Has anyone had any luck getting hold of nukeproof to resolve this creaking issue? I’ve emailed and facebooked nukeproof and emailed crc but no response.

p7rich
    Free Member

MY 2013 TR creaks too. Happens when i plonk down on the saddle, compressing the suspension quickly. Need to grease and see if that helps, but not tried it yet.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I thought I had the same problem on my Mega a/m but then realised it was my aching bones. More oily fish I reckon :?

shredder

Possibly cured mine with a strip and re-pack with grease of the pedals. We will see on the next proper ride.

If not next will be a chase out on the non d/s BB thread, as the BB is tight when fitting.

rab5474
    Free Member

Ive emailed nukeproof 3 times and had no response, anyone have a number for them

freeridenick
    Free Member

go through your dealer/shop – they will go straight to hotlines.

JCL
    Free Member

Everyone one that’s been out here (BC) has creaked like a barn door and needed constant pivot maintenance.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

I think I have the same issue, not sure where the knock is coming from as it reverberates through the frame.Has anyone more info on the solution to this. I’ve replaced the chainstay bushings, shock mounts. Not had the bearings out yet. Would like to know if anyone has a fix as this is doing my head in.
    Cheers.

thedude
    Free Member

Hi any news on this? I can feel movement when pushing on the pedal and holding the pivot above bb with my hand. It also makes a sound everytime. I will contact crc Monday and ask about these spacers that are mentioned.

shredder

Update here pedal re-build / grease did not cure.
    Next is a BB chase as the non D/S thread is very tight when fitting the cup.

rab5474
    Free Member

UPDATE . Got a reply from nuke proof apparently its a common issue and there is an upgrade part kit available CRC are sending me the kit free of charge and if i am unable to fit it myself they will reimburse me for LBS labour charges.

shredder

Which kit on CRC is it rab5474 ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Never had an issue with this on my older 2010 model. :|

rab5474
    Free Member

I dont think its sold as a spare part but it is supplied for free if you get in touch with with your retailer, my riding buddy whent through his lbs where he bought his bike and they are supplying him with the upgrade kit as well

rab5474
    Free Member

This is the reply i recieved from nukeproof

Hi Robert,

This should be a really easy thing to get fixed. Please contact the dealer that you purchased the frame from and ask them to have a look at the pivot for you. I would strongly advise your friend to do the same. There is a potential issue with slightly mis-sized hardware in the pivot and your dealer will be able to tell if this is the case and remedy the situation for you.

Best regards,

Sam

When i phoned CRC they said it was quite a common issue with the 2013 frames and had the upgrade kit posted to me straight away, but havent recieved it yet so cant say what exact parts need upgrading

shredder

Thanks

thedude
    Free Member

Thanks for the update. I’m going to contact them on Monday.

p7rich
    Free Member

Ah, that makes sense. I had my 2013 TR in pieces today, to grease the pivots and try to sort the creaking. In the pivot just above the BB there are 2 thick (plastic i think?) washers either side of the frame/seattube. They sit between the frame and bearings set in the end of the chain stay, in a recess. I thought it was odd they’re above half the size of the recess they sit in.

Guess they’ll just send out the correct size washers. Easy job to fit. Hope that sorts it, the creaking/cracking noise is getting louder on mine each ride.

Just hope CRC can sort the issue with my very noisy shock too!

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Awesome guys, thanks for finding out what the issue is. I bought my frame second hand and need to know what parts to ask hotlines or crc for. Once you know what parts are required please post them up. Cheers.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Gonna save this thread ‘just in case’ but i have had no issues with my 2013 mega am *fingers crossed* ;)

rab5474
    Free Member

UPDATE received the parts today and it is the bush kit as linked a couple of posts above, i will update again once i have fitted the kit with results.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

Rab5474, let us know how you get on once they are fitted. I have already replaced these just after I had replaced the shock bushes as I thought they were the most obvious source of the knock noise. I’ve been in contact with CRC and they confirmed that the noise is likely related to worn chainstay bushes and have refunded me a set as I have recently purchased them. Hopefully that is the cause!

al

I just tightened my rear pivot up and it stopped creaking. IIRC I went over the recommended torque spec but its been fine ever since, so, meh.

stcolin
    Free Member

Ah, lucky I read this, just about to upgrade to a TR! CRC are on my doorstep so I should be able to get sorted quickly if a problem comes up.

p7rich
    Free Member

Ah, that makes sense. I had my 2013 TR in pieces today, to grease the pivots and try to sort the creaking. In the pivot just above the BB there are 2 thick (plastic i think?) washers either side of the frame/seattube. They sit between the frame and bearings set in the end of the chain stay, in a recess. I thought it was odd they’re above half the size of the recess they sit in.

Guess they’ll just send out the correct size washers. Easy job to fit. Hope that sorts it, the creaking/cracking noise is getting louder on mine each ride.

Ignore that. CRC have told me NP don’t recognise any issues with the pivot just above the BB. They have sent me the bush kit linked above. Fitted it today (it’s for the pivots at the back, near the dropouts, where the seat stays meet the chain stays) and was pretty straightforward. Looked pretty much identical to the stuff i took out. Maybe the thickness on the top hats were a little big different?? Can’t be sure.

I have now greased every pivot too. Back out on it tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Effin fantastic bike. Just wish it would quieten down!

svalgis
    Free Member

Any updates? I just ordered a Mega TR myself so would very much like to hear about this issue being easily sorted out. :)

p7rich
    Free Member

Did 20 miles round Surrey Hills since replacing the bushes at the back with the ones CRC sent me. No creaks. Yet. But i have also now greased every pivot in the process of chasing the creak. Hopefully it’s sorted but lets wait and see.

@svalgis. You’l love it. I replaced a Santa Cruz with my TR and it’s 10x better. Best bike i’ve owned. Mine did not creak out of the box. Took at least 100 miles to develop the worst creak.

gunners1
    Free Member

Ok, so not sure if this is a new sound but my 2013 mega tr frame makes loud cracking sounds from the BB pivot but only when its tightened to factory spec. When the pivot bolts are loosened the bike runs smooth. Any Ideas ?

SirHC

Might be worth noting that there is no drain hole in the bb shell, so water can collect and then the bb creaks and eventually creaks. I drilled a 3mm hole near the isgc tabs.

The main pivot bearings lasted through winter and the others could do with replacing, will consider running a marshguard to reduce the amount of mud collecting at the main pivot bearings.

obiwankenobi
    Free Member

I’ve now replaced pivot bearings, shock bushes, rear chainstay bushings and even the bottom bracket yet the knocking noise still remains. All bolts to correct torque settings. Only thing I can think it could be now is the shock. New shock on order, fingers crossed that fixes the noise. What else could it be?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof mega 2013 creaking’ is closed to new replies.