Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Nuit de bivvy Internationale on Friday!
  • plecostomus
    Free Member

Where you headed? I'm thinking ride straight from work in Bristol, out to the mendips settle in somewhere for the night and then back early start for work on Saturday.

ton

quite fancy this myself.
    somewhere round ogden/hebbers/luddenden maybe.
    anyone from these area's up for it??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Tony, after months of lovely weather, you now decide you fancy it? respect 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Hmmm, I'm up on Speyside till Friday night, I'll take my tent and trailer and head up somewhere up Rothiemurchus way.

Ambrose

The Beacons beckon…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ooo…
    That sounds a plan forming Tony..

flatfish
    Free Member

is it all in secret this year?

wheres all the chat?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The first rule of bivvy club is …

trail_rat
    Free Member

need to know basis and you dont need to know 😉
    But i will be participating this year – got a cracking spot !

flatfish
    Free Member

But Stu, YOUR not a member of bristol bivvy club!

Chew
    Free Member

Ton – If your planning to be out Calderdale way i could be up for going out that way as well.

Still looking at the weather options.

Dave
    Free Member

Here's the deal. Friday night is the 2nd Nuit de Bivvy Internationale, but Saturday night is an acceptable alternative.

Head out somewhere with an inspirational morning viewpoint, take pictures, write up your trip with photos by Wednesday next week on this thread. Best write up wins a prize from the ST office 'big box of stuff'. Extra points available for morning view, cheekiness of bivvy spot, use of humour in write up :o)

*no entries from ST staff and family members, Tenters, professional vagrants. Standard network charges apply.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Flatfish, thought it was a secret society with only you in it!

flatfish
    Free Member

your just jealous 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

Nuit de Bivvy Internationale?

so is this a STW invention?
    I will consult with the thursday nite riders and the missus.

Tiger6791

oooh I have an idea that would involve Bivving on what is technically American Soil, hmmmm

flatfish
    Free Member

Into the Crown at Churchill first for a couple of pints then i think i'll head up to the fort at Dolebury Warren.

Dave
    Free Member

Nuit de Bivvy Internationale? so is this a STW invention?

Yes, it's all ours :o)

mr_krabs
    Free Member

i'll be out for a ride tonight then back into town to get sh*tfaced at the pub then passout in a gutter.

Does that count?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dave – Moderator

*no entries from Tenters*

thats tentist that is! I'll report you to someone

Dave
    Free Member

thats tentist that is! I'll report you to someone

Whatever. Pole bender ;o)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pah!

matt_outandabout

Does it count that I spent last night on an island with 24 others, under tarp?

plumber
    Free Member

iBivvy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBM1KolfbsQ

Teching up the bivvy experience

Plum

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good nights sleep ? On a train back to trail-rat HQ as we speak…. Discovered my saddle is akin to a jack hammer on a loaded bike !

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Any reports from last night?

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your gonna sleep rough you have to do it right – 3 miles from your house dont cut it ! I had 2 options in mind with the friday off – one requiring reems of maps and lots of navigation or a signposted route requiring minimal mapping.

opted for a ride on the west highland way – the second option. Started at 8am friday morning and rode with no haste enjoying the epically beautiful weather over conic hill – nice descent going north then along loch lomond banks. I was told and all my research pointed towards it getting better riding after that …better is subjective, there were more ridable sections but still impossible to get into a rhythm for drainage bars and steep steps and gates – for a minute i thought i was in england – never seen so many gates on a ride! . North of tyndrum got better after a stop at the greenwelly shop for some pizza. Up to bridge of orchy was fast going – so fast it confused **** out of my cateye computer which decided to display error and reset ! trail was still rough and a combo of slr 135 and a loaded bag man rack meant my bike did not skip over bumps and instead clattered into things leaving me with 2 options – stand or get a battered arse i opted for both! Should have fitted my brooks.. The plan had been to get to fort william and bivy out but due to a late start and a sore arse i realized that wasnt going to happen so stopped at inveroran leaving me with the option for the train, down by the river just past the hotel. …. Minimal bivy kit worked well with only a +5 wynster superlite sleeping bag , my rab survival and a berghaus down vest- my waterproof became my tarp/midge protection – under arm vents provided adaquate ventilation to stop condensation Had slightly cold feet when i woke at 5am to the crap sun rise – driech grey day and rolled over till 7.30 before riding 3 miles back via road to bridge of orchy to catch the 9am train to glasgow. One of the best things about packing ultralite is the time it takes to pack up – or rather the time it doesn’t !

One things for sure i shant be making a speedy attempt at the double rob lee can have that honour all to him self- i am tempted to enter the trail run along it though !

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsoZh-rsDI/AAAAAAAAGik/h5IGSMvdqFw/s640/CIMG0294.JPG[/img][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsoWaLBSkI/AAAAAAAAGic/gQk7gTSLD50/s640/CIMG0288.JPG[/img][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsoSEpaXaI/AAAAAAAAGiQ/r04rjBr4qco/s640/CIMG0284.JPG[/img][img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsoITCUmMI/AAAAAAAAGiA/psZ4n1VXyk8/s512/CIMG0277.JPG[/img][img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsn22GRTPI/AAAAAAAAGhk/2GB79RCAxXc/s640/CIMG0264.JPG[/img][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsnx1GTDJI/AAAAAAAAGhY/knC6csiOV1o/s640/CIMG0261.JPG[/img][img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TEsnnElUHQI/AAAAAAAAGhE/nNgABGM9IfQ/s640/CIMG0249.JPG[/img]

packed ,

wynster superlite 600 bag
    rab survival zone bivy
    berghause down vest – all in the red dry bag on the bike. Waterproof shorts and jacket strapped onto this.

bag had , torq , torq gels and torq bars , gilet , arm and leg warmers , dry socks , a cannondale polartec balaclava , camera , tool kit , lube.

Phatman
    Free Member

Greenwelly Terry, thats a fail, should've opted for the Real Food Cafe down the road then you'd made it to FB. Good ride nonetheless. Maybe starting as Tyndrum or Crianlarich and heading north would've worked out better as you've avoided the carry up the shore (or did you get the ferry?) and all the gates. From memory Milngavie to Drymen isn't all that interesting.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>before riding 3 miles back via road to bridge of orchy to catch the 9am train to glasgow. <

B of O bunkhouse does a nice fry up – I'd have been availing myself of that 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

milngavie to drymen – as interesting as a road ride….. punctuated by gates

conich hill – pretty good descent

first half of loch lomond to the hotel – nice

second half – as expected pretty awful – some bits even tough pushing/carrying

from there it was real rough trails punctuated with drainage bars too wide to hop(loaded bike remember) gates and stairs.

29er or full sus – or light full sus 29er for that trail !

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and re real food cafe – it was 6 at night – i didnt intend to stop for food at greenwelly but saw a sign saying – fresh home made pizza here … that sounds like a q to stop to me !

ps – where are all the otehr rides ? folk been out doing double bivys 😉

u02sgb
    Free Member

trail_rat: How easy was it getting on the train?

Tried to book my bike on yesterday and they couldn't even book me a seat. Was planning on going to Fort William on Friday and heading South as far as I could get over the weekend.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just walked on as did many others – its not like many trains on the east coast scotland who have 2 bike spots and fight you to get on ….

they had 6 spots at one end of the train at bridge of orchy – the train joined another at crianlarich and had another 6 spots …

id imagine the sunday train to glasgow to be busy tbh ….hence why i abandoned rather than keep riding saturday and bivy sat night and train on sunday…

i hadnt booked.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Thanks, might risk it and not go as far as Fort William so i can cycle all the way home.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

trail rat, what brackets on the back of your bike?

trail_rat
    Free Member

bagman expedition – its meant for carrying my carradice camper long flap but i wanted to go lighter than even that lets me – so bagman plus a drybag … in addition to that i used a camelbak blowfish – just had arm/leg warmers , gilet , food and water in that though

AlexSimon

So is that it!!!!
    One vid and one (admittedly epic) photo report?
    I was really looking forward to hearing about everyone's exploits. Ah well. I guess that shortish notice didn't help (that's what ruled me out).

trail_rat
    Free Member

shortish notice – its marked on your singletrackmag callender

:d cummon bristol crew – you lot are probably still lost in the hills 😉

slugwash
    Free Member

So is that it!!!!
    One vid and one (admittedly epic) photo report?
    I was really looking forward to hearing about everyone's exploits

shortish notice – its marked on your singletrackmag callender

Yeah, but it clashed with the Bontrager 24/12. I mean how fookin' stupid is that Dave? 😉

Anyway, I was still camped out in the wilds of the quiet camping area at Newnham Park and in a pop-up tent that cost a third of the price of my bivi bag, and it rained, so here's my nuit-de-bivi competition contribution……

BTW, top bivi photos and write up trail_rat 🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

Didn't get out on friday but i did get out on saturday, unfortunately i had to take the wife and kids with me in a 'kin huge tent, as i promised the rugrats weeks ago, so unfortunately i'm having to DQ myself.

Sorry i'm such a failure. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Nuit de bivvy Internationale on Friday!’ is closed to new replies.