Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Now the dust is settling on 10 speed – recommend me a Chain
  • andymac
    Free Member

Building a 10 speed setup; Single 34t up front and a 11-36 Shimano cassette on the back for a trail bike. I was initially planning on getting a Shimano Hg94 chain but they seem to have pretty poor reviews. Is the Shimano Cassette = Shimano Chain, just marketing rubbish? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Andy

clubber
    Free Member

Is the Shimano Cassette = Shimano Chain, just marketing rubbish?

Yes. Sorry, no particular chain recommendation though.

tang
    Free Member

wipperman connex here for 15 months. Been faultless on a xt cassette and 9spd chainrings! used both 1×10 and 2×10.

rootes1

wippermann – well made and with a decent quick link system

sam_underhill

My XTR chain shifts very well with my XTR cassette (and chainset for that matter). I suggest that the directional plates on the chain are helping to play their part in this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a mavic one on the road bike, cheeper than most 9s chains and shifts as well as anything else I’ve tried.

andymac
    Free Member

Is the Wippermann the Wippermann Connex 10S0?

I was also thinking about a KMC. As I understand it, Sram 10 speed chains are not the right size. (I normally use Sram)

sambob
    Free Member

Sram chains are good, but the pwerlink for 10 speed is one use only, so i use a KMC instead. Worked well so far….

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve used HG94, XTR, SRAM PC1090, and KMC X10SL on Sram XX and XTR cassettes. They’ve all shifted very well indeed, no discernible difference frankly.

I’d get KMC because it comes with a ‘missing link’.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im having this problem too ive got a hg94 10 speed and its a tad noisy, it seems to catch and click on every revolution, im not sure why, i have the writing on the outside of the chain, only thing i noticed is the writing is upside down? would that make a difference?

ive ordered a xtr one to see if that helps, if it gets soaking wet or massively lubed up it seems to queiten down but if im out after 20mins this strange click comes back, can only really put it down to the chain as the gears/shifts clearance etc is fine?

any ideas guys?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been using the that came on a bike I bought, no doubt a budget Shimano one, but it seems ok to me. It’s probably nearing the end of it’s life now though so I bought a couple of the KMC X10SL’s on Ebay as they ended at a silly time & were £15 each.

I’d like to hold off replacing it until after winter & do the lot as no doubt the sandy paste around here will do a good job on my drivetrain.

andymac
    Free Member

I think I am settling on a Wippermann chain. Any particular type for a Shimano cassette?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Now the dust is settling on 10 speed – recommend me a Chain’ is closed to new replies.