• This topic has 94 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • North west photo day, anyone?
  • nbt

Anyone interested in the idea of a photo day? Meet in a central location, ride out to the trail, play with cameras while volunteer photo-gimps career madly up and down the same piece of trail several hundred times. We'd probably need a couple of volunteer photo-gimps, and a location where a few suitable trails can be found within a reasonable riding distance – no point in riding for three hours to the photo stop!

We could even consider the possibility of a social stop afterwards to review pictures if anyone were to bring one of those new fangled set-top computers

I've a few photo locations in mind close to me (Marple, south east of Manchester, edge of the peak district), along with a central meeting point and suitable venues for post-ride discussions, but am happy to travel if there's a consensus to go elsewhere.

(with apologies to Marsdenman, we tried several times to do this last year but with weather, family and other things it never got off the ground – hoping with more people involved it might stand a better chance of happening!)

Oh yes – If you want to volunteer as a photo-model, all comers will be welcome – I'm sure that out of a day's riding in front of so many cameras, you'd be bound to get at least ONE good photo (and sore legs from covering ten times the distance of all the photographers)!

nbt

Bump for the daytime crowd

el_diablo
    Free Member

Like the sound of this, although I'd like to do some riding and some snapping.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sheldona
    Free Member

Yeah, I'd be up for something!

GavinB

I am far too good looking to be behind the camera 8) although I'd like to learn a bit more about creating better pics, as I'm often jealous of some of the amazing shots that appear on here from time to time.

Will come along as long as I'm free.

cp

yeah, i'd be up for being a photoer rather than a photoee

marsdenman
    Free Member

Lordy – NBT, twas was my 'to-do-list' for this week to e-mail you about this as the weather is bucking up – and my diary is booking up so need to get something sorted…..
    I'll keep an eye on any date you arrange and will be there – diary permitting.
    If all else fails i'll give you a shout re: our original plan

Oh, for the NIkon users amongst us – I believe Nikon pocket wizards are now in the uk – under wraps at the mo – testing to ensure they don't have the hassle that's been reported with Canon versions….. should hit the streets in 6 weeks or so…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yeah… Will be up for this..

Bunnyhop

Volunteer here, as a model.
    No 'bum shots' please.

GavinB

No 'bum shots' please.

or rear cleavage either, thank you very much 😯

Bunnyhop

Lol. Gavin, see you Saturday.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No 'bum shots' please.

dream. on.

or rear cleavage either, thank you very much

oh, is ton coming ??

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

I'm interested, both in riding and learning how to take better pictures.
    Gareth

Kit
    Free Member

That sounds ace! Can you have it closer to Scotland please? 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Oooh, could be persuaded… thought the Lakes would be better 😉

nbt

Well, future venues can be discussed, but since I thought of it first, I get to choose the venue this time 😀 . Whether anybody comes on the day I suggest to the venue I suggest is another matter, of course!

For the venue, I'm sticking close to home using terrain I know. I'm going to suggest we meet at the Roman Lakes complex, where we started the STW Marple ride last year. There's plenty of parking, loos, and they do hot food. Sorted.

The ride would be a shorter version of this ride

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/marple/289125588704262002

We'd cut across from mile 5 to mile 18 along the grey track. I'll do a proper route map later with all clever things to show where me night stop for photo sessions

As for dates – It's quite soon I know but how does Sunday 28th feb sit with people? We'd have to aim for a pretty early start, get to the car park for 9am kind of thing, then we can be away shortly afterwards.

Would suggest bringing plenty of layers as it's winter and there may be long periods of inactivity, and some sandwiches as there won't be many places en route to get food.

Sound alright? More after tea 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's quite soon I know but how does Sunday 28th feb sit with people?

isn't that the Nidderdale day ?

hp_source

Sounds good, I'd be happy to do some riding but fetch my camera too to pick up tips from you pro's 😉

GavinB

I can do the 28th – sign me up!

sheldona
    Free Member

Yup 28th good here, I'm sure my more refined half would be up for it too, as a bikey model rather than a shooter! I'm happy to do both as I don't get too many shot taken of me! (You'll need your wide angles to get me in LOL)

nbt

simonfbarnes – Member
    isn't that the Nidderdale day ?

I wouldn't be doing Nidderdale anyway so not a problem for me. 28th is looking good then,

I do know of a lovely B&B very close to the start point: I shall inform the proprietor of this event, that they may advertise if space is available

nbt

Okay, here's the proposed route with possible photostops marked on – I very much doubt we'd use all of them, Sheldon and Chris have both been on Seb's course like me and I reckon 4 is about right – we can see on the day what the weather is like

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/marple/519126591634529621

riggsy
    Free Member

id be up for this..

spacecadett
    Free Member

Hi, this sound like such a good idea. Count Me in. .

I have been learning how to use an SLR with a Nikon film camera but it's an expensive process. Getting my first digital SLR in June for my 30th, would be great to pick up tips. Happy to do lots of riding too. The area is not too far from Nottingham – will be driving over & room in the car if anybody from the area wants a lift.

sheldona
    Free Member

Yup can confirm mrsayatollah is coming too. We'll be travelling up in the morning.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Oh fleck it, I'd like a photo of me to remember me by if that would be OK? I'm happy to pay for anything worth buying 🙂
    I've just checked the childcare rotor and I'm out again before I was even in – sorry

nbt

Lol, monksie in "wanting to come along but finding an excuse not to" shocker 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I'm right up for this.

No 'bum shots' please.

Oh, never mind then.

nbt

samuri – Member

I'm right up for this.

No 'bum shots' please.

Oh, never mind then.

it's only the women saying that, you;ll be right Jon. Can I borrow your 10-20 if you;re not coming, pretty please?

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

Yea , I'm easy on the booty shots .
    if I cant make it on the day , youre welcome to find some online .
    (popular searchengine rhyming with , er nothing )
    " Muddyfox courier's walnut cracking perfect ass " under 'images ' should bring up a few million hits .
    Might have to turn the filters off , though .

Failing that , Jon could post you a few . He spent years chasing my rock hard Gluteus maximuscle.

OK then,

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I'd be interested but I'm already booked out on wife duties that weekend.

samuri
    Free Member

My stash of your bum pictures is well worn out now Tim, I need some more.

Actually, you should encourage muddyfox to come, where else will you be able to get high quality digital photos from the 1980's?

Look at that, what a model!

You're welcome to borrow my sigma Julian, I'm just trying to figure out how I can turn it all into a 'proper' day ride. Hmm, put me down as a possible riding model. Riding 25 miles each way to get there and back is fine but not really with a load of camera equipment on my back.

marsdenman
    Free Member

okey doke – have looked in MM's Big Book of Excuses and it seems the page for 28th Feb is MISSING…….

so, count me in….

NBT – have upgraded your laptop for you – no need to thank me 🙂

Bunnyhop

marsdenman – that's great
    Sheldon – I'm looking forward to seeing you and M again.

Shall attempt to make cake or suitable trail food.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

You never know mate, the Ice Queen melted a little last night and noises were made that I might be allowed the day off. They were the first words spoken to me in over a week so that's some progress 🙂
    She won an award last night apparently. Pride of Britain or something for her Oncology stuff……she's South African! I love irony.
    I could always bring Emsie with me. She has an ace Gary Fisher bike.

nbt

Hey, bringing Em along would be brilliant – if you get bored or tired and need to shoot off then that's fair enough, but I reckon Em might enjoy it

samuri
    Free Member

NBT – have upgraded your laptop for you – no need to thank me

So now it looks almost identical but costs three times as much? 😉

trio25
    Free Member

Shame Ali's Dad is up as this could have been good. I could have been a model and she could play with her camera. Another time!

sheldona
    Free Member

Shall attempt to make cake or suitable trail food.

Nice idea 😉

nbt

An interesting mix of roles there, each photographer could end up with their own personal model!

Just riding
    GavinB
    Bunnyhop
    mrsayatollah
    barca2
    Emsie (Barca jr)
    samuri
    muddyfox courier

Swinging both ways
    MFCat
    Gareth_Uglow
    hp_source
    riggsy
    spacecadett

Just photos
    NBT
    Ayatollahofniche
    cp
    marsdenman
    Teetosugars

Not actually said what they want to do!
    RobS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘North west photo day, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.