Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • North Lakes ride ideas please
  • portydave
    Free Member

hi,

I’m going to be down visiting the out laws next week, based around cockermouth, keswick and wigton.

Plan doing a gentle trail centre day with the missus at whinlatter on the sunday, but hoping to get a few hours to myself early in the week.

anyone got any recomendations? the steeper, techy and more natural the better.

preferably something i can do in 2-3 hours, but if it was longer and worth it, then i’d just deal with the bollocking i’d get for being late!

cheers!
    Dave

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Skiddaw – Ullock Pike should suit you nicely 🙂

bungalistic
    Free Member

Ullock Pike is a cheeky one but good fun, should be quiet enough midweek.

Borrowdale Bash is another good one, start and end in Keswick, full thing could be done in 3 hrs, if not you can shorten it to do the best bits.

portydave
    Free Member

something skiddaw related sounds good, and a quick google shows some pretty good pics of the ullock pike descent.

whats the best way up skiddaw on a bike? and any top tips for the descent, or do i just follow the map? apologies, i don’t know the latkes particularly well.

any other ideas folks? skiddaw sounds ideal, but a lower level back up plan may be wise……

bungalistic
    Free Member

Main path is easiest to get up Skiddaw, just before the top there is a steep slate path on your left that leads down to Ullock Pike.

Lower level back up plan could be Borrowdale Bash or the Lonscale Fell loop that finishes on Latrigg. http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/keswick-eng/behind-blencathra-route-26940582

portydave
    Free Member

great, looks like 2 or 3 good options to suit the weather.

has anyone got any ordnance survey type maps of these routes? i’m not really up to speed on all this gps technology……

clareymorris

Have you got good lights, good techical skills and Tuesday evening free?

If so you could come join us for an evening ride from Keswick??

portydave
    Free Member

/”Have you got good lights, good techical skills and Tuesday evening free?”

yes, yes and don’t know!

portydave
    Free Member

hmm, don’t know how the quote thing on here works either.

coming out on the tuesday evening sounds good, but i think i’ll be pushing my luck!! what time and where do you head from, just in case?

cheers

clareymorris

Well if you do get a chance to get away for the evening we meet at 6:30 in the car park at the Pedlar Cafe….CA12 5JD.

Come well prepared for hike a bike up and technical downs ending up in the pub usually by about 10pm!

singletracksurfer

Borrowdale is a good one.

andrew277
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, do the Keswick Tuesday night rides set off at bang on 6:30? Im interested in coming along but can’t leave Workington until just after 6, so would struggle to make a 6:30 set off.
    Cheers

wl
    Free Member

Sticks Pass descent starting with climb/carry to Raise from Glenridding. Bang on 2 hours.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ullock pike. Awesome.

clareymorris

Andrew277 it is only half an hours drive isn’t it – we will still be arguing about where to go 😀

JoeBlob

More time arguing about routes before, and time in the pub after, than riding, some would say ❓

andrew277
    Free Member

Clareymoris ok cool I can get there for 6:30ish. Is it ok if a tag along next Tuesday?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and what is wrong with that 🙂 Just means you need to pack the riding in a little faster

epo-aholic
    Free Member

if you’ve got a road bike and 6+ hours you could always do the Fred Whitton! 😉

portydave
    Free Member

cheers folks, enough to keep me amused for a couple hours anyway

lowey

Park Seathwaite.
    Seatoller, Stonethwaite, Langstrath (taking path on west side of the river, not the bridleway), carry up Stake Pass, Descend Stake to the head of Mickleden (ACE!) Carry up Rosset Ghyl, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Sprinkling Tarn, Sty Head, Stockley Bridge and back to Seathwaite.

portydave
    Free Member

cheers lowey, looks like a good loop. how long do you reckon? looks like 3-4 hrs+ to me asuming the paths to be pretty slow going, so reckon i might be pushing it for time!

lowey

Took me 5 and a half hours, however I’m fat and unfit.

wors

Took me 5 and a half hours, however I’m very fat and very unfit.

😆

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Done Lowey’s route last November but from Langdale end. It’s a good ‘un.

lowey

Must admit Ian, if I did it again I’d do it from Old DG. Finish with a nice run down Langdale valley and a pint!

Wors… I may be all those things, but you still shy out of lakes rides… you big girl.

portydave
    Free Member

anything over 3 hours will be pushing it without ending in serious trouble from the missus!! so as good as loweys langdale route looks, i think i’ll have to give it a miss…..this time.

does anyone know where i can find a decent map or description for the ‘borrowdale bash’? for some reason i can’t get the mapmyride site to work at my work.

thanks again folks

wors

Wors… I may be all those things, but you still shy out of lakes rides… you big girl.

Guilty as charged.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash (with a couple of cheeky bits):

Borrowdale Bash by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Park on the old Portinscale road for free

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Bandito

Personally, I would add in a carry up onto the saddle of Cat Bells then ride the path on the western flank down to Skelgill. It’s mint – flowy with one awkward rock bit we had to clamber through.

Is there any value in going up top to Castlerigg?

Also, the switchbacks off of Castle Crag are tech loveliness on a dry day but you could REALLY **** yourself if you bin it.

Cheers

Sanny

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is there any value in going up top to Castlerigg

Yes. You get to ride along the top of Walla Crags to Ashness Bridge:

P5250014 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

fast swoopy fun. 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘North Lakes ride ideas please’ is closed to new replies.