Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Norfolk – what to do and bike stuff…
  • dknwhy

Heading to Sheringham next week for a few days with the missus and our 6 year old son.
    Any recommendations on what we should do/where we should go?
    Also, any decent routes/biking to be had from the doorstep? Don’t think I’ll be able to sod off to Thetford or anything…

sing1etrack

For your 6-year old:

Bewilderwood

deano8
    Free Member

I’ll second Bewilderwood:) great fun!

ruddy
    Free Member

Deffo Bewilderwood.

Crabbing and then Fish and chips at Wells next to sea – beach over the sand dunes is also nice for a visit.

Depending on weather you could hire a small motor boat on the broads – good fun and plenty of pubs about.

pictonroad

Boat trip on the Broads, over to Hunstanton spend a cheap day on the penny arcades, drive from old Hunstanton to Wells is fantastic, bit chilly for crabbing. Walk on Holkham beach, dune jumping is excellent fun, go ape at thetford is brilliant for young boys.

It’s a six year old boys paradise. Leave the bike at home, plenty to do.

Nobby

All the above.

Not forgetting the Poppy Line starts in Sheringham too.

Not much riding about but if you insist on taking the bike the Peddars Way is ok for a family pootle.

scud
    Free Member

You could try Bacton Woods for some limited MTB riding, or if you are skinny tyre inclined, riding the coastal road taking in Wells, Cromer etc is a great ride.

+ 4 Bewilderwood (just check it is actually open)

Day in Norwich, Norwich castle and if you like Belgian food and drink, go to Belgian Monk (my favourite at he moment, 128 beers!)

midlifecrashes

Nobody mentioned the tank museum yet, generally closed for the winter but open half term week.

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

+1 Yes, Bewilderwood is good too.

Stay off the beaches, they’re rubbish.

Mundesley.

No trip to Norfolk would be complete without a trip to Mundesley Maritime Museum, if it’s open.

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely Bewilderwood but it is all outdoors so a bit weather dependent. And take a picnic unless you are minted

Crabbing – use liver as bait, they really like it

Pop in to Fat Birds in Hunstanton. Just wander in off the street. Mention that you a thinking of a titanium bike for your next purchase. Let them find you one in your size. Let them insist that you take their £3k Lynsky road bike for a spin round the block. Without asking for any ID or security or deposit 😮

When I have £3k to spare, I will go back and reward their trust….

Legoman
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Bewilderwood yet?
    If not they should have. It’s ace.

I’d avoid Cromer – had fond childhood memories of the place but on return last year thought it was really shabby. Nice to walk along the pier though.

bol

There’s riding at Sheringham – woods at pretty corner, and link up the cheeky trails along the cliffs. Bacton woods near north Walsham is good too if you can find the trails. Otherwise Norfolk is a bit more roadie really.

The steam railway at Sheringham is good for kids. Worth a trip to Norwich too if you’ve got time to spare. It’s a fine city.

dknwhy

Cheers all. I’ll have the bike anyway as we’re going straight on to the Peak District but not really fussed about using it.

Looks like there’s enough to do to keep us busy. Surprised no one mentioned Bewilderwood….. 😆

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Here’s a route for you. Surprisingly hilly and hard work in places. Can be done in either direction depending on the headwind along the cliffs. Some of it is “cheeky” trail.

Sheringham loop 21miles

John_Key
    Free Member

I lived in Norfolk 10 years ago and went mtn biking a few times out near Sheringham. It was surprising good and a real hidden gem.

muddyground
    Free Member

Tank museum? Never again. Right old dump of a place with “do not touch” signs all over the exhibits. Like how much damage can you do to a tank in touching one? Crabbing will be a cold affair, but only for the adults…. White hot chocolate in Sheringham after a bracing walk on the beach. Life Boat museum in Cromer is fun and has an excellent café above. Love Norfolk in the winter.

mugsys_m8

Feeling homesick now! I spent my 1st 18 years living 4 miles from Mundesley and 2 from Bacton Woods!

My parents live very close to this great place clled Bewilderwood. You could try that maybe?

pacemaker
    Free Member

Miugsys… My stepfather used to live in Bacton so I spent my every weekend and school hols down there.. No real mountain biking after spending all week in yorkshire !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Norfolk – what to do and bike stuff…’ is closed to new replies.