Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Norfolk Broads, In August, Am I ..
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

..mad?
    Just looking for a peaceful weeks boating holiday and this really appeals but I’ve just had a look at a web cam or two and it seems like a mass free for all. Boats everywhere and is no particular order! Maybe that’s just Wroxham, but are there plenty of places to go to keep out of the way at this time of year?

McHamish
    Free Member

Wroxham?

Not keen on that place. I think there are nicer places to go, but Wroxham is a bit heavy on the Broads tourism for my liking.

I think Roy might be a gangster and ‘owns’ the turf. If you cross him he’ll send his heavies round…not really, it’s just every shop seems to have ‘Roys of Wroxham’ stamped on the side, I believe it started as a small shop but has spread to the whole village.

midlifecrashes

Was down there last week, only day cruising from Oulton and Potter Heigham. It was certainly busy, but there were moorings to be had, but I wouldn’t imagine you’ll get much solitude.

Klunk
    Free Member

depending on the size of your boat and the water levels, and if you can get under potter heigham bridge. If you can, it can be very quiet @ Hickling and Horsey (very nice pubs) if the barges can’t get under. Though there are no food shops within easy walking distance north of potter hiegham.

nedrapier

A friend of mine organised a couple of broads sailing cruisers (5/6 berth) for a bunch of us last year. From here : http://www.marthamboats.com/

Really good fun, and plenty of space in the broads themselves to have a good old sail about the place. As you can tell, I’m an expert.

We we motored along the canal (?) the broads, had a larf with the sailing fun, moored at the far end of somehting big, had dinner and got good and drunk. Sailed back the next day in squiggly lines.

Funniest thing was the rub-on piratey tattoos that someone brought along. Easily reversible, no-consequence skull and crossbones fun!

Unless you slap one on your cheek and get more sunburned than you thought. Very pale skin too. har-de-har! Good job she’s not a GP or anything! Ah…

Klunk
    Free Member

a very peaceful Horsey Mere.

and our very slow to the helm yacht.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Nedrapier, I think you have helped make my mind up. 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

Get yourself down to Horning, lovely place not nearly as chaotic as Wroxham and some nice waterside pubs that you can pull up in your boat!
    Take a Fishing rod (short 8ft spinner) and some spinners and catch some big Pike in there too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Norfolk Broads, In August, Am I ..’ is closed to new replies.