• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by campbellronald7-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Nokia Lumia – any reason not to…
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

And if not, which model do I get?

wors

I got the 800 last year, can’t fault it really.

I think the latest one has a 41mp camera on it 😯

metalheart
    Free Member

I just recently picked up a 920 from Tesco direct for £200 (had an e-coupon). They’ve gone up a tenner (and couldnt see a relevant coupon) but them ones are here:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/sim-free-phones/cat15580012.list?catId=4294874106+4294948501+4294959246+40693&icid=technologygaming_flyoutlink_simfreemobiles&lastFilter=Price%7C£200+to+£300#scrollTo=11;pageNo=1

Haven’t actually used it yet (waiting on a screen protector).

Seemed too good a bargain to go past.

Now doubt dannybgoode will be on shortly to tell you how good they are (not taking the piss by the way) :mrgreen:

nano
    Free Member

Good handsets and I like the windows OS.. Main downside is a lack of apps, from an STW point of view there’s no Strava

Camera, OS, look and feel all top notch

asherh
    Free Member

If no Strava is an issue for you, when i had a WP I used to use Sports Tracker which allowed you to log in at a PC and download the gpx file – then upload to Strava. Bit of a faff but does the job fine if you’re bothered.

Think Endomondo have a Windows app

perthmtb
    Free Member

Love my Lumia 720. I’m not heavily into the social apps/games etc – use it more for the business side – email, MS Office, timesheets, notes, where the slightly larger screen than the iPhone, and seamless integration with other Microsoft products makes it a winner for me…

mudshark
    Free Member

I have a basic Lumia 520, like it lots.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have the 920. Like the phone, like the OS, haven’t found anything I don’t like about it yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like my 920 overall. For Strava I just use a Garmin, Strava’s website still works really well with it, just slightly less convenient.

Generally, most features are coded into the OS, unlike Android where most stuff is developed either by apps or the handset maker. So that means that it integrates well, but it does what it does and isn’t quite so easy to extend.

For example, the integrated social hub is cool, but it doesn’t quite handle all the features you get on say FB and there’s no way of extending it. Having said that, I’ve not bothered to look up any apps that may replace the hub generally. The FB app is like the Android one but less mature.

Generally there is less customisation available, but then again there’s less to faff about with so it’s swings and roundabouts in a way.

I’ve found most apps I want in the appstore – if there’s anything missing, there’s usually an alternative, and some apps are much nicer and prettier than the Android version, which is nice.

The camera’s excellent, as is the GPS. Here maps is good as a GPS but the search is a bit naff compared to google maps. Fortunately there’s a Google maps app that uses Here offline maps but google for the search – handy.

The Skydrive/Office/Family Room/One Note integration is fantastic out of the box though.

mattyd
    Free Member

Wife has one and seems to like it – the only downside (for me) is that you cannot have repeating alerts, so if she misses a text alert there is no reminder until she actually checks the phone for messages – which she rarely does – this means I rarely get a timely reply, which directly breaks the Service Level Agreement of our relationship.
    In summary, sometimes I have to go to the shop to buy my own beer on the way home – I blame Microsoft.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, I miss the flashing light on my Motorola.

dannybgoode

Brilliant phones. I have the 925 and it is all the phone you could want.

At least on a par with the Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5S.

Want by far the best camera on any phone – Lumia 1020.

Windows Phone has most major apps on it now with more following all the time. Instagram is a major omission if you like that kind of thing but plenty of 3rd party ones that link in to Instagram anyway so not an issue.

The inbuilt Nokia navigation apps are head and shoulders above anything else also.

Cheers

Danny B

molgrips
    Free Member

The inbuilt Nokia navigation apps are head and shoulders above anything else also.

I wouldn’t say that.. search is comical at times.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nokia 820 here. I didn’t go for 920 as too bulky for me.

Also had a previous generation Nokia Windows phone.

People on here used to really slag them off, more ignorance I guess.. I wouldn’t get any other platform.

No Strava, but you can use Endomondo and export.

The free sat nav is ok, but I don’t think it routes you the best direction always.

One thing that does annoy me is that you can set the volume on the alarm. Or have a vibrate only option.

molgrips
    Free Member

What annoys me is that there only seems to be one volume control for both ringer and game or media. On my Android phone they were separate – adjust volume when playing a game or media and it changed game/media volume, and it stayed like that. If you adjust volume at other times it adjusted the ring volume.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have a 720[ I think] and it is let down by the lack of apps IMHO
    Hard to get a decent mapping one for cycling for example – if any user above knows then feel free to name one

Battery life in use seems poor – though I have never had a smart phone so nothing for comparison- mine does not/barely charges if using sat nav for example.
    Screen seems susceptible to rain/wet hands

kevj
    Free Member

Slightly differing view.
    I have a HTC 1 x as my personal phone and a 920 for (supplied by) work.

The HTC is far far better. I am constantly frustrated with the Nokia.

It may be that I’m biased but Ive given it six months and I’m still of the same opinion.

Battery life is brilliant though on the Nokia.

kevj
    Free Member

Molgrips +1.

If I have the volume up, then my keypad stokes are ridiculously loud. No reason to have the two linked.

<sent from my HTC one x on blah blah blah>

yunki
    Free Member

Mudshark – any hints or tips on getting a 520 to tell the correct time consistently?

Mine can’t manage it for more than a day or two at a time before it resets date and time to something random.. Other than that, ace

It’s even pretty tough too

gears_suck
    Free Member

I had the 920 it was ok. I used an app (can’t remember the name) which recorded a ride/run… Whatever and then when saved it would send the data directly to strava. No info available on the fly but worked great to record my rides.
    I found the os was glitchy and apps would frequently freeze. Also the phone would reset itself quite often when switching between apps and sometimes during using and app. It wasn’t the best operating system I’ve used. After trying all sorts of phones. Apple, Google, Nokia etc I found that Samsung was better than anything else and the android os is versatile and more stable than any of the others.

dannybgoode

GDR3 to be released later this month or early next I think is going to fix the volume issue. Otherwise it will be addressed in WinPho 8.1 due Q1 2014.

Nokia release Bittersweet Shimmer to be released in conjunction with it on Nokia phones with AMOLED screens is going to add full Glance notifications also.

@Molgrips-make sure you are using offline search when using Drive and Maps. It is way way better than online search.

Cheers

Danny B

molgrips
    Free Member

I have had no OS glitches or faults, although I have a dodgy screen – I must call EE for a replacement.

I did enjoy getting the update. I previously got nothing from Motorola in 2 years.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nexus 5 is out very soon as in a week or two.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have the Lumia 820 and use the free app from Leisure Maps for general mapping and route finding. Use Endomondo for tracking my rides etc no need or want for Strava but there are some 3rd party apps if you want to use Strava.
    Love the phone, very well built and the camera and post-photography apps are really good. I find the OS slick and easy to use – skydrive/people hub etc really nice to use.
    I personally prefer it to Android and i find it more stable than the Android HTC i had before.

Chap at work has just sold his iphone5 and bought the lumia 1020, he’s loving it and much prefers it to the iphone5 (didn’t upgrade to iO7 either)
    EDIT : I keep reading this thing about a lack of apps, currently around 370’000 apps so how many do you need? Now that MS own Nokia phones you can expect lots of new apps.

skids
    Free Member

I got a 620 and I think the 920 is a bargain for £200. The 620 is fast, I think that is to do with the Windows OS, it’s feels faster than my Nexus 4. The big problem for me is the lack of apps. But the phones themselves are outstanding value for money

riderideride
    Free Member

Got the 920,social hub is great for me,not a app person,weather check is my most used,downside phone is heavy after a while in hand,il get the 1020 in 2014

molgrips
    Free Member

I keep reading this thing about a lack of apps, currently around 370’000 apps so how many do you need?

Hahah.. I don’t need 370,000 apps, I do need a handful of decent ones though. 369,950 of those apps are total garbage.

Nokia Pro Cam however is not. Full manual control camera in a phone? Don’t mind if I do 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

leisure maps is no longer available – anyone got anything else?
    strava and stw dont do a windows app

molgrips
    Free Member

I still seem to have leisure maps..?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My Leisure Maps is still working fine as well.
    Got weather apps, trainline, BBC News, BBC i-player, Paypal, dropbox, facebook, calculators, e-reader, skype etc.

Plus the Tom & Jerry app – every single cartoon made, ace!!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Wife has one and seems to like it – the only downside (for me) is that you cannot have repeating alerts, so if she misses a text alert there is no reminder until she actually checks the phone for messages – which she rarely does – this means I rarely get a timely reply, which directly breaks the Service Level Agreement of our relationship.
    In summary, sometimes I have to go to the shop to buy my own beer on the way home – I blame Microsoft.

made me chuckle…:)

Cheers all. The GF doesn’t like android which is what drew me to the Lumia, well that and the price on contract as I’ll be covering the dd…will look at the various models tmro and use this thread as reference. Thanks again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs were due upgrades at the same time, we made a pact to both go with Windows Phone, because of the collaboration features. We have a shared shopping list both pinned to our start screens, so she can select which items we need, then text me and send me to the shop. I check the list and see what she’s ticked, and if she remebers something she can tick that and I’ll see it update as I’m there.

Also she can put stuff in the family room calendar, she doesn’t even have to remember to tell me about it but I’ll see it on my calendar notification live tile. Cool, it is.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is brilliant news that you still have it but it is still a shame i cannot download it

Have you any suggestions?

andyfla
    Free Member

Story to be a dissenting voice, I went to an 820 about 6 months ago a I have had a 3GS for 3 or 4 years , and have grown slowly disappointed with it as time goes on, I have found it very unintuitive, and clunky to use.

Good hardware, not my taste in OS

iPhone ordered

Inbred456
    Free Member

Got a 620. Good little phone. Sync’s nicely with windows on the PC. Very simple operating system lasts two days on one charge approx.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I got a 720 on Virgin as an upgrade at the end of my Android contract. I took it back under the 14 day return conditions.
    Just couldn’t get on with the OS, the camera was crap compared to my Sony Ericsson and it didn’t have Strava, Runkeeper or a timer on the camera.

nwallace
    Free Member

More importantly, will Nokias latest handset survive the same abuse as my E-72 has?

I’ve regularly dropped it from heights up to 1.5m due to general clumsiness (a mates iPhone didn’t survive my clumsiness), had it fall out of a saddle bag onto the road at ~30mph (the GPS trace it was doing of that incident is interesting) resulting in a small chip in a corner.
    In fact the only other faults it has are that Symbian is unreliable and the speaker has become a bit rattly after its most recent drowing.

If the Lumnias can survive that out the box, I’ll happily but one to replace the E-72.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

A 920 here and I would say it is the best phone I have ever had. At first it seems a bit chunky but I found I quickly got used to that. I’m not a big app person so find the whole “there’s no apps for Win Phone” a bit of a pointless sideshow. I personally also find the Windows phone interface a lot more intuitive and consistent than Android. I wouldn’t say it is perfect but I would take it any day over Android. Overall a great phone and enjoyably quick when I get a 4G connection. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I like my 520. Everyone else has said why, so I don’t need to type it again 🙂

Wish it had a real keyboard though 🙁

HansRey

I’ve had an 800 with latest software and some beta stuff for over a year now. It’s ok, but i’d prefer something else. My workplace supplied it and they only have Nokia phones available.

the good…
    – pretty robust. It has been dropped in puddles, splashed, rained on, sweated on for 10 hours a day for 8 days, gone mouldy, etc. and it’s still fine. I wouldn’t recommend the silicone case for humid environments (i.e. Finland)
    – Simple operating system. It’s so simple, i’d give it to my parents
    – tough gorilla glass. Difficult to scratch, resists cracking from small impacts
    – good for reading PDFs and office documents

the bad…
    – it’s damn slippery without the silicone case. Regularly falls out my hands or off things
    – simple operating system. Can’t change much.
    – lack of official apps. There are 3rd party apps (e.g. BBC news) available, but these are often poor quality.
    – navigation software is awful to use, especially when driving. A google maps based system as seen on the Samsung Note 3 is my preferred option. The maps are supposedly updated often (commendable) but the interface needs an overhaul to make it usable
    – can’t multitask. For example, I can’t play a game and listen to music without closing the game
    – it overheats and becomes damn hot if checking emails + downloading large files
    – can’t change the battery
    – sometimes crashes or shuts down completely when browsing the internet and the download is big (youtube/soundcloud/the chive)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Nokia Lumia – any reason not to…’ is closed to new replies.