Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Nobody stole my bike!
  • DezB
    Free Member

So I get in from voting, leave the bike (singlespeed hack for taking dog out) propped against garage wall in the alley past my house… get in, surprise visit from mother… dog, kid etc to sort out.
    Completely forget about the bike.
    Walk out with dog this morning… round the garage, confronted by my poor bike sitting there blinking in the morning light.. Poor thing, most I could do for it was to take it out for an early spin!

stumpy01

Wow! Lucky! Do you live in a built up area?

I once took something out of the garage one morning & left for work with the garage door still open & the key (with front door key) hanging in the door!

4 bikes in there! Urgent calls to my wife to go & close it when I realised!

I also left my car key in the ignition of my car overnight with the door unlocked….hmmmm.

sandwicheater

Glad it didn’t go for a wonder.

Remember in Llangdale on a lovelly sunny day. We parked up, got all our climbing kit ready and spent a great day out. Got back to find we left the car doors wide open with climbing gear/clothing strewn all over the seats. As we approached we could see the doors wide open and ran over thinking we’d been robbed. Then realised we got chatting to some friends and just left it in that state. Was very relieved, phew!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I do it regularly, get to the front of the house and leave commuter to go in and say hi to the family, wife is putting dinner out, and it completely slips my mind!.

And I live right in the middle of town…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Left my vintage roadie out the other night, but it is quite secluded, i was quite surprised when i saw it outside, more through sheer forgetfulness than surprise.

in fact if it had been stolen, i would have been convinced it had vanished into thin air fr m inside the apartment, and would now be having counselling!

DezB
    Free Member

Do you live in a built up area?

Not really, but there are plenty of houses around! I’ve said to friends I reckon I could leave my garage unlocked quite safely, never risked it though, of course.
    To actually leave the bike out, not in view of the house, so lucky indeed! 😳

i would have been convinced it had vanished into thin air fr m inside the apartment, and would now be having counselling!
    Yes! I would’ve gone crazy if it hadn’t been in the garage tonight when I go to take the dog out!

njee20
    Free Member

A neighbour of my parents went on holiday and left the front door wide open. The postman alerted someone on the 4th day when he realised he was just chucking the new letters on top of the old!

I left my Madone outside their house overnight a couple of times too, lights on, and it never went walkabout!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve returned home late in the afternoon to find the shed door wide open, then feeling sick as I realised I’d not shut it after a morning fettle. Needn’t have worried it was all there!

oliverracing

We’ve returned home from being away from two weeks to find the garage wide open, thinking the worst (back of garage goes straight into the house) we did a quick check around but nothing had been stolen! What make this even more amazing is there is a footpath that runs past our garage!

DezB
    Free Member

@oliverracing : Now that’s lucky!

honourablegeorge

In an odd way, a wide open garage door probably deters thieves, as it suggests that someone is home.

(Test this theory at your own risk)

wwaswas

My immediate reaction would be “What’s wrong with my bike? Why does no one want to steal it?” and then I’d probably reject it.

wwaswas

On a similar note I did manage to leave six .303 rifles on the grass outside the school we did Army Cadets at for a weekend. They were slighty rusty in places where the oil had washed off in the rain but still there on Monday morning.

They were the ‘not deactiviated’ ones we were supposed to keep in the special gun cupboard in case the IRA got hold of them.

alanf
    Free Member

I once left my bike outside my house to the front overnuight and it was on a main road!
    It wasn’t until the orning when I realised my bike wasn’t where it should have been that I may have left it out the front.
    It was still there thankfully but I was a little shocked as well.

edlong
    Free Member

Just the other day I got home from work, couldn’t find the garage key to put my bike away, had a wee look and the garage door was wide open with the key hanging from the lock from the morning.

Not quite as bad as going to New Zealand for six months and leaving the back door of the house unlocked, perhaps, which I’ve also done.

Dickyboy

Couldn’t find my keys when leaving gf’s house the other morning, yup you’ve guessed it – been hanging in the front door all night – main A40 through town in an area where the usual procedure if you want rid of anything is to leave it out the front & it’ll be gone in no time. Had to check round the house to make sure nothing was missing & nobody had moved in overnight!

Euro
    Free Member

Not really, but there are plenty of houses around!

I find that hard to believe so i’m calling you a liar
    Been waiting to get my revenge and boy does it feel gooooooood.

mrjmt
    Free Member

In a previous house, we’d put the doormat outside by the front door while we hoovered the hall, got pinched in the time it took to run the hoover up.

DezB
    Free Member

Been waiting to get my revenge and boy does it feel gooooooood.

😆 wanna see a map? 😉

fooman

I once left my Austin Metro overnight on the street with the keys in the ignition, door open, engine running. Come the morning, it was out of petrol.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Done similar myself, taking the kids to see my Mum for the day just before Xmas (house stack full of presents!), ushered the kids out of the house into the van but left the front door opened as I was meant to grab some presents in the hall, belted ’em all in and totally forgot about the presents which meant I’d also left the front door wide open! Returned about 10 hours later to the door still wide open and the heating full on trying desperately to warm the house, I was amazed nothing had been taken!

brooess
    Free Member

all the scrotes are spending their days on social media 😀

ontor
    Free Member

In our old flat I had a pair of muddy, sweaty, cycling shoes stolen in the time it takes to walk into the house, grab a bag so I could transport them to the bike room and walk back outside. About 30 seconds of inattention…

wiggles
    Free Member

I had a hybrid I took as a part X for £30 locked it up in the garden (not visible from anywhere other than the garden) it lasted less than 48 hrs…

You all live in very different places to me obviously!

ThePinkster

When Mrs. Pinkster & I first moved up here we left the front door unlocked for 3 weeks before we realised.

Wouldn’t have been like that in the Brum we had moved away from.

Kunstler

A couple of weeks back I did the flat out sprint from the back of Sainsburys when I realised I still had my bike lock in my bag. The previous time I discovered that, the bike was gone.

Sort of related – a mate/work colleague had his (decent) bike nicked a couple of months ago from outside one of our offices. Last week he was down at the office again, had just nipped to a shop around the corner and saw someone riding what he quickly recognised as his own bike. Took a few moments to spot the bits and pieces he had added that identified it as his. While the guy on the bike had stopped my mate started walking as fast as possible while trying not to give his intentions away but he was clocked (so the rider knew the situation with the stolen bike) and he rode off while my sprinted after him, only missing tackling him (and he really would have) by a few feet. It’s a road that loops around by the sea. Either come back to get back to the main road or follow the loop around. Matey sprinted to the other end, only to narrowly miss him again. Had it been closer, I have no doubt that he would have reclaimed his bike very efficiently.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns up again as the criminal mastermind will probably offload it for quick cash as soon as.

Tough to lose the same bike several times though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Nobody stole my bike!’ is closed to new replies.