Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nobby Nics or Conti Vertical Protection tyres for…….
  • keefus
    Free Member

My trip to Lee/Cragg Quarry next weekend(Sat) then on to Gisburn(Sun)
    calling in on Cannock chase on the way home(Mon).

What does the STW masses think having never ridden them before. Lets assume the weather is going to be as crap as it is. Many thanks

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Conti Verts are one of the worst tyres of recent years, so I’d go for the ‘Nics regardless of terrain or conditions…

keefus
    Free Member

Any more views?

Cheers

MartynS

Conti Verts have been the only set of tyres I’ve never worn out.
    I hated them

Running NN’s at the mo and like them

mboy
    Free Member

It’s rocky up there (durrr, it’s a quarry!), so whatever you think will work best! Softer compounds, not too many squirmy knobbles etc.

More of the same (within reason) at Cannock, it’s well groomed and pretty grippy whatever tyres you run within reason.

Aristotle
    Free Member

It’s not about the tyres…. Just use whatever you’ve got on at the moment.

Having used Verts in the past on almost all kinds of terrain (around the UK and in the Alps), I’ve no issues with them. they used to be the default suggestion on here. I’m not sure how people can think they are that bad. I do tend to use bigger tyres now though.

I’ve a Nobby Nic on the back (so far so good) and a Vert on the front of my bitsa ‘spare’ bike at the moment.

Nobby Nics are bigger volume, so I’d go with them.

MartynS

I’m not sure how people can think they are that bad

I just didn’t like the way they made the bike feel. I don’t really do the “what tyre” thing but the conti Verts were, for me noticeably worse than anything else I’ve ever used.

Obviously only one opinion but that after all, is what the OP asked for

alfabus
    Free Member

i always liked vert pros, but found them a little too drifty when you really leant on them.

maxxis ignitors took over from them and cured the drift…. so I use them as my default ‘all conditions’ tyres now, with a smattering of high rollers, minions and conti barons for specific situations.

Dave

Speshpaul

Time has moved on, but the vert was a break through tyre, so there is a before verts and after verts. And they have been about a long time. So maybe some people haven’t had the before experience

Aristotle
    Free Member

As I’m unoriginal, a High Roller and Minion F are on my other bike.

Yes, the Vert might get a bit ‘drifty’ at times, but I’ve seen people riding hard on them and it won’t spoil your day.

Fit the Nobby Nics if you have them.

I’d still suggest that a decent rider on most ‘adequate’ tyres would be able to ride better than a typical rider on the world’s greatest tyres on tricky terrain, though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nics or Conti Vertical Protection tyres for…….’ is closed to new replies.