Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • No posts on Sunday 27th Jan as a mark of respect
  • bearnecessities

This may be an unachievable idea, but I have given some thought to it and I believe this is achievable and not unreasonable.

bruders338 has lost his boy; we are all touched and he is in no doubt trying to spend his time between supporting his family, trying to deal with it himself and getting some sleep.

I, for one, will not be posting anything tomorrow as a mark of respect.

Anyone that wants to join me is welcome to..

jamj1974

Ok I’m in. See you on monday

boxelder

A nice sentiment, but he chose to post here in order to get replies.
    Perhaps a charitable donation or acts of random kindness?

zokes
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s already Sunday here

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Very sad news indeed, but how exactly does it show a mark of respect by NOT posting for a day?
    surely a mark of respect is to reply on his thread?

not having a go, just can’t see how that works tbh

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m up for charitable donations. A just giving account run by mods to bruders carity of choice.

jamj1974

I’m up for charitable donations. A just giving account run by mods to bruders carity of choice.

Great idea! Hey mods can we do this?

J

bearnecessities

Please don’t let this get off track.

It’s just my idea, if you don’t like it, don’t do it.

madhouse

Talking of charitable giving, if you set up a text code on justgiving then all the money goes to charity as Vodafone pick up the processing cost – justgiving takes a processing fee else. Recently found that out when raising money for CLIC, it’s also really easy to donate by text too.

If all those million unique visitors a month donated a quid it’d make a difference!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Yep, or maybe a holiday for bruders and his family? Just a thought, whatever helps.

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t understand how not posting achieves anything? Not read the thread in question, but surely words of support are better than silence?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Let’s not debate the point.

bearnecessities

I have a few quid, as do most, but to how support to a fellow requires something special. To effectively shut down the chat forum for one day would be a show of respect than any words could imagine.

Subsequently, charitable donations are fine, but for the OP, to see STW in closure for one day would genuinely show we mean what we say, that we care that much we won’t post rubbish or comment on crud.

It’s an opportunity to do something special, of course if you don’t want to then fine, but don’t post your reasons why not please.

Rich

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ll Chip in to a just giving page.

dickieboy
    Free Member

What a weird idea.
    Shall I not wash my car as i usually do that on a Sunday or how about going to Tesco and not doing any shopping?
    Lets have a forum and then not post.
    Pure genius!

spacemonkey

Right, I’m gonna be honest here:

-1 shutting down the forum or not posting
    +1 contributing to a JG page (or similar)

I really don’t see what the former can achieve. Added to that, imagine if bruders posted a question or update, yet none of us responded. Not right IMO.

Contributing something properly tangible, i.e via a JG page or direct to a charity of bruder’s choice, would be much more appropriate, relevant and of “value”.

Am not going to argue over this as the subject is too sensitive. Just wanted to say my bit + add that I’ll willingly make a donation. Losing a child (regardless of age, but especially so young and innocent) is something no-one should experience.

EDIT: (not having a pop) bearnecessities, I appreciate your sentiment, I just don’t agree with it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Last post until Monday.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Right, I’m gonna be honest here:

-1 shutting down the forum or not posting
    +1 contributing to a JG page (or similar)

I really don’t see what the former can achieve. Added to that, imagine if bruders posted a question or update, yet none of us responded. Not right IMO.

Contributing something properly tangible, i.e via a JG page or direct to a charity of bruder’s choice, would be much more appropriate, relevant and of “value”.

Am not going to argue over this as the subject is too sensitive. Just wanted to say my bit + add that I’ll willingly make a donation. Losing a child (regardless of age, but especially so young and innocent) is something no-one should experience.

EDIT: (not having a pop) bearnecessities, I appreciate your sentiment, I just don’t agree with it.

THIS

Not this – poor taste CM and dont respond its not the thread for your usual style

Let’s not debate the point.

chipps

If people want to not-post until Monday, that’s fine (although, how will we know. They’ll have to post on Monday to say they didn’t…)
    I don’t think we’re organised to set up a charity account for a third party. If the OP wants to, then that’s fine by us.
    If you want to ride your bike as a mark of respect, that’s good too. Just make sure you actually stop gabbing for a minute and enjoy the view and all that you have for one, quiet, minute, OK?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be for a third party. It woild be something you set up to collect the money and give it to the nominated charity. It would require some effort. But it could be done.

JY. I hadn’t meant to say anything controversial, but as you say. I will not say anymore than i don’t understand your response.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I think Chipps has it right. Stop tomorrow and spend a minute of your time quietly thinking of his and his family’s loss. When I lost my wee lad four years ago the world fell to pieces around me and I spent a fortnight not functioning – basically holding my cat and sobbing. I would not have noticed any such gesture… and to be honest it wouldnt have registered a real impact.

To know people were stopping and sparing a thought, friends, family and complete strangers – I think that would have peehaps given me a little comfort.

It is a horrendous thing to go through. It very nearly killed me living through it myself – what you need is strength feom anywhere you can find it. I remember Foxychick of this parish came to visit me at some atage after my lad died – cant remember how long after, and that helped. I had never met her before, it was a random act of kindness by a stranger, and that is what helps.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i get the feeling that bruders might appreciate people posting today, kind words dont feel useful when you’re writing them in response to such a situation, but reading them can definitely help.

equally, any effort as a mark of respect i’m sure would be appreciated, post or no post… the fact we’re all thinking about him in this difficult time is what matters.

khani
    Free Member

If you want to ride your bike as a mark of respect, that’s good too. Just make sure you actually stop gabbing for a minute and enjoy the view and all that you have for one, quiet, minute, OK

That’s the plan, a ride and a moment of quiet contemplation,
    its these occasions that make you realise how unimportant most of the things you find stressful really are,

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘No posts on Sunday 27th Jan as a mark of respect’ is closed to new replies.