Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • new yacht for queenie
  • swiss01
    Free Member

and i wonder who’ll be paying for it? you couldn’t make it up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/15/queen-royal-yacht-diamond-jubilee-gove

Woody
    Free Member

Gove ends his letter by suggesting that if insufficient taxpayer funds are available a private donation could be sought, before making a naked departmental bid for every schoolchild or school to be given a gift as a permanent reminder of the event. Gove’s office confirmed the authenticity of the letter but refused to comment.

IF insufficient taxpayer funds are available !!!!!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Pob should have stuck to making kids tv programmes

kayak23

What about a nice scarf?

tomaso
    Free Member

I’d happily take a pay cut to fund that.

CaptJon
    Free Member

£20 Amazon vouchers and she’ll have to be happy with it.

kimbers

the man whos happy to oversee spending cuts in education and school sports budgets , but thinks its a good. idea to supply her majesty with a luxury yacht

tails
    Free Member

Hopefully the old goat will crash it into some rocks!

kaesae
    Free Member

What about a nice fruit hat and a walk along the beach ❓

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I think that would perfectly capture the spirit of the times.

igm

Just remember when she gets the new boat then presumably we’ll “all be in it together”.

Might be a bit of a squash mind.

niallmb
    Free Member

theres one just off the coast of Italy that I’m sure she could have. Its a bit of a fixer-upper but probably cheaper than a new one even with the work. Only issue is that it seems the captain may be unavailable for a period of time.

CaptJon
    Free Member

This is the same guy who wanted to write a forward to the King James Bible and send them out to every school in the country.

mcboo
    Free Member

I love Michael Gove but in the week people were starting to tip him as a future Prime Minister he comes out with this twaddle. Wrote a foreword to the King James Bible too last year…..stick to revolutionising our school system please Mike.

Lifer
    Free Member

Gove? Future prime minister? 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

I had advanced plans to buy my son a massive luxury yacht and spend £60m on celebrating his 5th birthday, even wrote a letter about it and everything, but I decided against it because it felt inappropriate all things considered.

He’ll have to make do with a rubber dinghy this year.

Gunz
    Free Member

Excellent idea Mr Gove, you toadying baffoon.
    Announce a further manpower drain on the Royal Navy the day before the second wave of redundancies are announced (please don’t take this as a particular moan about redundancies as we in the Armed Forces are well aware that everyone is suffering, I just prefer politicians to grab the headlines with innovative and useful ideas instead of something they dreamt up whilst Nanny was changing them).

GrahamS

Loving the Guardian juxtapositioning there 😀

Sounds like an outrageous idea, but I did like the point of the bloke on Radio 4 who mentioned that it would be something like 0.5% of the cost of the olympic swimming pool!

oldnpastit

On R4 this morning they interviewed someone from (I think) the Daily Mail where they have a campaign for a new Royal yacht that would be privately funded, with no taxpayer funding.

Moreover, it would be not just a royal yacht, but something for the nation – a kind of sea-faring Albert Hall/Open University/whatever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060561/A-yacht-rule-waves-Two-weeks-ago-Mail-launched-campaign-new-Royal-Yacht-Here-unveil-truly-majestic-blueprint.html

They already have an offer of £10M from a group of Canadian businessmen, for example. so funding doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Lifer
    Free Member

That thing is disgusting. If Las Vegas was on the coast there’d be one of them moored in the harbour.

GrahamS

Have the Daily Mail revealed if the yacht will cure or cause cancer?

oldnpastit

That thing is disgusting. If Las Vegas was on the coast there’d be one of them moored in the harbour.

Las Vegas is pretty amazing tbh.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And we cock a snook at those North Koreans who worship their dynastic head of state…

GrahamS

And we cock a snook at those North Koreans who worship their dynastic head of state…

Yesssssssssss… I think there may be just a few differences in the way they rule, no?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

We are only a democracy because Mrs Windsor allows it…

AlexSimon

I don’t think it’s as black and white as people are suggesting.

Having maaam go all around the world in a Royal Yacht probably does generate income for this country. Very hard to quantify, but I’d imagine it gives a many countries confidence in us and makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.

The jubilee celebrations will also bring a return in tourist income.

The timing of the Olympics couldn’t come at a better time for Britain, and I think there’s something to be said for celebrating some of the things that put us in the minds of people worldwide.

On the other hand – Gove should have made all this stuff clear in the letter and not made it sound like it was robbing everyone to pay for a fancy gift!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“God save the Queen… ‘coz tourists are money….”

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

On R4 this morning they interviewed someone from (I think) the Daily Mail where they have a campaign for a new Royal yacht that would be privately funded, with no taxpayer funding.

Right, then I’m definitely against it.

I don’t think we would survive the smugness overload that would happen at the Daily Mail if it were to go ahead.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

IYHO

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The timing of the Olympics couldn’t come at a better time for Britain

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Klunk
    Free Member

mrs lizzy Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to you pal 😉

could be

mrs lizzy Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg though 😕

16stonepig
    Free Member

£20 Amazon vouchers and she’ll have to be happy with it.

I like that idea, cos, you know, then she can what she wants. It’s so much easier for everyone.

Lifer
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

What’s amazing about it?

Souless guady plastic shite.

Gunz
    Free Member

The timing of the Olympics couldn’t come at a better time for Britain

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

To be fair, this time around has some, possibly tenuous, links with our 1948 effort and that turned out to be a triumph.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4352644.stm

boxers got fit on custard and jelly

Brilliant!!

timc
    Free Member

only a pound each, should be built in britain though, so it will be over budget, late & pretty crap 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

Eh the history books suggest we are a democracy for a lot of lovely reasons, one of which being Oliver Cromwell having cut off the head of Charles I.

binners

Couldn’t they get Al Fayed to fund it, in return for a passport?

Or Abramovic could donate one of his spare ones?

Or, if public money is to be used, it could contain cells below deck, so as to double as a prison ship when Queenie isn’t using it. It’d be ideal for this upcoming summers rioters in there. Just to highlight yet further how much the ruling classes actually give a **** about them

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The old Britania was supposed to be a ‘dual use’ vessel, to be able to be quickly converted into a hospital ship in times of war. Come the Falklands war and oh dear! it didn’t use the right sort of marine diesel so it couldn’t be sent into harm’s way.

ourmaninthenorth

kimbers

is the guillotine for gove or queenie?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘new yacht for queenie’ is closed to new replies.