Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New workstand time – recommendations
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

My cheapo workstand snapped for about the 4th time last night and it’s now unrepairable. It cost me about 30 quid and lasted at least 6 years so no complaint but this time round I’d like something a bit nicer

I thought the automatic option would be a Park one but the 9 series seems pretty basic for the cost, the 10 series doesn’t seem to add much and the 4 series is silly money for a home mechanic which got me looking at others, even the Lifeline one seems decent for sub-£100

So, any recommendations for a new workstand?

My ‘spec’:

Robust and steady enough for MTBs obviously
    Decent ergonomics on the clamp
    A decent way of tilting the clamp itself and a good way of keeping it from spinning, ideally indexed
    Ideally fold down to easily transport so I can stick it in the back of the van for trips
    Don’t need a tool tray
    Has to be a self-standing one, can’t bolt it to the wall of my shed
    Cost doesn’t matter much, if it’s expensive but worth it I’m in but I also don’t want to spend £200 just for the Park logo

oikeith

I had a cheap lidl workstand that snapped on the first use as I tried to extend it upwards so both wheels were off the floor! I ended using an axle stand instead for awhile before finally picking up a PCS-10, folds out easily, holds the bike with both wheels off the ground at any angle and is super sturdy.

TBH though, I imagine any medium – high end stand to do this

frogstomp

I have a Unior Bikegator stand which is excellent, but seems to have increased in price by about 50% since I bought it a couple of years ago.

Feedback Sports stands are generally highly recommended.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for my Bike Hut one to break so I can buy a nicer one. Had it 20 years so far…..

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’ve had a park PCS-9 for well over a decade now. Wish I’d gone for the 10 so I had quick release extension and clamp, but can’t justify the upgrade until the current one dies

lunge

If money was no object I’d be looking at the Feedback Sports stands. The ones that use the dropouts to mount would be my choice, but your view may vary.
    https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/bike-maintenance/repair-stands/

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like the 10 series might be worth it then. Those feedback ones look good as well though

Not sure about those fork dropout ones though, they would be pretty useless for say sorting front brakes out or servicing forks

So it’s either a Feedback pro-élite or Park 10. Anyone used the feedback one?

joebristol

I’ve got the Park 10 something stand. It’s a nice object and it’s really sturdy and folds up easily too. I like the quick release clamp for the bike etc – but the think that really bugs me is you can’t just spin the bike round easily if you’re in a relatively confined space (single garage with several bikes and a work bench). The main pole isn’t round – it’s another shape that means it can’t spin.

So if buying again I’d have a look for something similarly sturdy but with that ability to turn the bike round.

Edit – I had a cheapie £30 stand before that and it spun around nicely. However I snapped 1 bit and the clamp mechanism was terrible in comparison – it would struggle to hold a heavy bike parallel to the ground sometimes.

luket

I’ve got the Feedback Pro Elite. No complaints to far. I particularly like the clamp which does up on a ratchet except the last tightening turn on the knob, and then releases on a button. It’s been stable enough – I haven’t had an e-bike on it but with a DH bike it’s fine. And the whole thing feels well made.

Trying hard to think of any downsides:
    – rotating the bike in the vertical plane would be easier if the clamp for that was burlier. I’ve not tried a stand that was better in this regard but perhaps real pro ones are.
    – Your pedals are maybe a bit closer to the mast than with a Park style 2 leg stand because the mast is vertical on the Feedback. So anything attached to mast (like hook on tray bracket) can clash with pedals.
    Neither of these is an issue. I’d buy the same stand again.

Got mine from Winstanleys knowing there’d be a bit of a delay but the price was excellent. It took a while but not as long as I thought it might.

lunge

Not sure about those fork dropout ones though, they would be pretty useless for say sorting front brakes out or servicing forks

You can attach via the rear dropouts too.

chrishc777
    Free Member

You can attach via the rear dropouts too.

But then how do I work on the gears and rear brake? Not into constantly swapping out which side my stand is mounted to to be honest and trying to lift a 35lb MTB into it while keeping it aligned and not destroying my back in the process seems like a bit of a mission to me

Anyway, just ordered the Feedback Pro-Elite (part because of the good reviews, part because the Park ones are damn hard to find) which I hadn’t even heard of before starting this thread so cheers!

vmgscot

My 12 year old Feedback Sports workstand is still going strong – very well built. Its not the fancy-pants Elite one just an entry level Sport model and if I was buying again I would get the Elite for the better head mechanism. Saying that the entry level one has never let me down.

binman

I have killed my Feedback Sports lightweight one. The clamping mechanism disintergrated (kept meaning to mend it) but that is probably because it use it to jet wash the bikes. I have ordered an Elite one from Winstanleys but not sure it will materialise. A replacement clamp head from Germany is the next option.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got this one:
    Feedback Sports Mechanic Stand

razorrazoo

I’ve recently bought this one from Merlin

There was a thread on here on which it was recommended.  So far so good.  Definitely won’t be as nice / robust as one that costs double, but seems well made, folds down nicely and has so far done for me what its meant to.

thebibbles

I’ve had the feedback pro elite for a few years now. It’s stable, really quick and easy to use and no sign of any wear and tear even though it even gets used to hold the bikes up when they get hosed down after a winter ride.

thenorthwind

I’ve got a Feedback one. A less fancy one that I think is sadly discontinued now. Would definitely by another Feedback stand.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve had a park PCS-9 for well over a decade now. Wish I’d gone for the 10 so I had quick release extension and clamp, but can’t justify the upgrade until the current one dies

@allanoleary
    My screw adjustment for the height of my Park PCS-9 (not PCS-9.2) broke and I found that you can order the quick release collar part from the PCS-10 (not the PCS-10.2) model and use that. It’s so much better, kinda glad the screw broke now 🙂

Here is the part code: Park Tools 1456-10

b33k34

I’ve had a https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/pro-elite-repair-stand/ for well over 10 years now and I’d buy it again. Really good.

richmtb

I’ve got a Feedback Sport Pro Elite. Its a great stand, really stable and the clamp is brilliant. At full price they are spendy though – I’m sure I got mine for pretty much half price

oceanskipper

Ive got a PRS-25. It was hideously expensive but its absolutely fantastic. I have an E-MTB so it’s heavy and most of the alternatives wouldn’t support the weight (the PRS 9 and 10 would though). What swung it for me was the weight of it and the fact that it collapses into a very small footprint and can be tucked into a corner. It’s very lightweight and literally takes seconds to setup. I use it all the time, everywhere – even in the house when it’s too cold in my shed!!!

wheelsonfire1

I agree with oceanskipper, had a PRS-25 for 8 years now used professionally. The clamp can be adjusted to give good sensitivity for carbon fibre, it copes with all frame shapes, the rotating function is easy to use and doesn’t slip. It packs up easily and has been used for events and holiday trips. The only downside is that if using for a tandem a support pulley for the front is required! Excellent, worth the money.

slowoldman

I’ve recently bought this one from Merlin

Yes I’ve had one of those for a few years. It’s very sturdy.

jonzi

I know a man, near Tring that has a Park PCS-9 for sale, very cheap (£50)

elgolfo

For those with workstands that grip rather than secure via the dropouts, which part of the bike do you grip? The Park Tools and Feedback pro elite videos grip the seat post. Do you do that with your dropper post?
    If you grip the frame, do the clamps rub the paint/decals?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I had a lidl/aldi special, got rid for a Park PCs-9 got rid of that for a Feedback sports.

The Feedback sports is light years ahead of the Park.

Light, well engineered, folds smaller and is very strong.

burko73

Park pcs 9 here but bought the qr clamp for the extension separately and added that. A voile strap to strap the legs together/ to the main shaft when travelling/ packing it away is also very helpful. Apart from those two mods it’s been fine and seems bombproof.

wheelsonfire1

The PRS-25 has a rubber clamp face that on first sight looks hard but in fact is just right – spare rubbers available. If the seatpost can’t be used then either the seat tube or top tube work, the clamp has reliefs to allow cables through without squashing. I’ve not found a frame that’s defeated me yet, (even some very complex shapes), and if you’re worried about damage to the surface, even though the clamp is micro-adjust, wrap a thin bit of rag or blue roll round first. A bag can be purchased to carry in and once folded and quick release clamps secured everything stays put. Hope this helps.

inbred853

I’ve got the same one as razerrazoo, had it for a number of years and has held up remarkably well. Simple, multi adjustable height and angles to cover just about any bike and folds down for easy storage/transport.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have an ‘Ultimate Support’ stand. I’m pretty sure that this is exactly a Feedback Sports classic stand but produced under a previous name. Its even anodised in the same red
    I’ve been using it for around 14 years now and its great. The slide clamp part is getting a bit tired now, but still usable if sworn at enough. It I bought new I would go for the pro elite.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Not sure what model my Park one is but it came from a bike shop closing down in Gloucester and I have owned it for 20 years brought some new rubber clamps otherwise nothing great its a big beast.

sirromj

I’ve recently bought this one from Merlin

Yes I’ve had one of those for a few years. It’s very sturdy.

Me too, was a gift to me few years ago. It’s the first stand I’ve owned or used, never really thought of it as sturdy tbh, but… yes I guess it is sturdy. When testing gears for instance and using your hands to pedal the bike while in the stand then it wobbles around too and fro, but it’s not going to collapse. I’ve fashioned a stiff piece of wire into a two pronged hook thing which I slide into the folding legs just before they fold all the way and then I can hang it up against the wall. It’s fairly heavy I suspect compared to the lightweight ones up there. I’m surprised it’s as much as what it’s selling for. I found the head mechanism a little awkward, I may have removed one of the knobs or something so I could tighten the head with an allen key, the angle thingy wotnot. Not had space to use frequently for the past few years, until recently. If in a confined space where you need to squeeze past the bike being held then it can be easy to tip.

bigginge

After spending a bit of time over the last day eyeing up the various feedback sports stands as potential replacements for my wobbly budget job I came across a West Biking repair stand on AliExpress. It seems to take very strong inspiration from the feedback sports designs, with a frame in line with the ultralight model and a clamp something like the one on the basic sport mechanic model.

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/4000971263324.html

The only review I’ve found outside of the AliExpress website is this video which sort of looked promising. Made me think it might be an ok budget model gamble, at about £85 delivered, for half the price of the feedback sport mechanic one.

I then had a look on eBay and found a listing for the same stand for £36, with delivery promised for next Tuesday. Part of me will be surprised if they can get anything to turn up by then. An even bigger part of me will be shocked if it turns out to be as solid as it looked in the video but for £36 I figured it was worth a punt.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393067058992

I’ll report back if it turns out well.

bfw

I have one of these.. FEEDBACK SPORTS PRO ELITE REPAIR STAND

I had the lighter version for something like 15 years, and just sold to a mate and gone for the biggest one now at the old one was a little bit light for big a$$ 27.5+ mtb’s. I got good money for it used and it was mint condition.

The new one is even better. Excellent stands and I found one in Germany that was pretty cheap and was with me in a couple days.

It might sound a lot, but its a dream to work from and if you have a big stable of kids, wife and my bikes it makes life a lot easier

Caher

Decathlon. So rugged I’m not sure how you could break it.

chrishc777
    Free Member

My Feedback pro-elite turned up on Friday and used it over the weekend. Thanks for the recommendations, it’s a great solid stand!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New workstand time – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.