• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Toy – Yeti ASR 5
  • jad
    Free Member

After destroying my beloved Santa Cruz Superlight, I’ve now got this to build:

Yeti ASR Alloy by alanach_d, on Flickr

Kind of wishing I never got the black as it’s going to look scruffy very quickly. First ride next week with a bit of luck.

alexonabike

Looks very nice and shiny now though. Shame to ruin it with a ride!

danvtr
    Free Member

looks nice atm lol post some pics after its had some abuse

brakes
    Free Member

Amazing bike, you won’t regret it.
    If you’re worried about the finish, watch the coating (paint/ lacquer) on the stays as it can chip quite easily on the corners.

jad
    Free Member

I think anodized would have been the better option but I should stop worrying about such things.

As usual, the parts you thought would transfer over don’t. New front mech now required… Oh well, anyone interested in a low clamp XTR front mech 34.9???

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Awsome.

What sort of build have you gone for?

MrTall
    Free Member

Was out with a mate on Wednesday on his new one of these.

At the end of the ride he noticed his carbon rear triangle had disintegrated. Not a happy bunny – going stright back to his LBS.

Happy riding on yours though…… 😉

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

MrTall-what way had it disintegrated? Where abouts on the rear triangle?

MrTall
    Free Member

Not sure as he was last into the pub and had packed it away in the car. He just said it had ‘crumbled’ right through.

He was less than amused as he is already waiting for the front triangle to be replaced under warranty due to a paint defect.

He had crashed earlier but it was only a comedy sideways topple (he ended up up the stream 🙂 but the bike only toppled sideways at 2mph).

TheSwede
    Free Member

Tried to quiz him on this Steve but he doesnt seem to keen to comment. Can’t understand why. Maybe it’s me 😀

MrTall
    Free Member

Can’t understand that Ryan, i’d imagine you asked in a polite and sympathetic manner…… 😉

He certainly wasn’t particularly impressed in the pub!!

Told him he should have gone 29er. 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

I was treading on egg shells with the text. He’s a sensitive boy 😀 Soooo glad my plastic bike has gone. Did you hear that chudleys snapped last week.

jad
    Free Member

Hmmm – heard a few horror stories of the rear triangle breaking. It’s a 2011 frame so hoping the previous issues have been ironed out???

Generous 5 year warranty though so not too worried.

Build will mainly be the old stuff from the Superlight. 120 Reba Maxle, Old M960 XTR chainset, Thomson, Hope etc. Nothing too exciting to be honest but should look good.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’m sure it will be a great build, sounds good enough to me.

TheSwede
    Free Member

The one that MrTall and I are talking about is is / was an 2011 model. It just a matter of luck if it goes or not. My 575 was ok for a couple of years and I threw it about a bit where as The Tall Man’s was about 5 rides or so old and he rides like a fairy. Sorry laney 😉

votchy
    Free Member

the defect on laney’s front triangle was a dent in the top tube that was painted over, took a lot of discussion with yeti to replace, the rear triangle crushing on the lh chain stay is not good news either, considering he fell to the right!! As above, he was not best pleased

jad
    Free Member

Almost there…

Yeti ASR 5 by alanach_d, on Flickr

Front brake to bleed and waiting on a Hope Step Down headset. Not convinced about the reducer for a conventional headset so haven’t bothered to fit it probably.

I got matching stickers for the forks which I’m kind of embarrassed about now.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

That looks great.

Mine should hopefully be ready to ride for the weekend!

Where did you get the stickers done for the forks?

jimmy

Sweet.

I immediately regretted ordering black. However, it does look sweet, and it’s covered in helitape.

Enjoy it, they’re a lot of fun…

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks good with the fork stickers, but those grips will have to go now.

Superstar do all sorts of coloured grip options, I’m sure they’d have something to match.

jad
    Free Member

I got the fork stickers from Silk Graphics – asked them to do Yeti turquoise and they did for £9.99.

I’ve spent so much money on the damn thing now I couldn’t care less about the red grips 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Nice bike, jimmy’s looked pretty much brand new when I saw it so the finish must last well. He wasn’t hanging about on his either 🙂 The fork graphics look great too.

jad
    Free Member

Hello all. Still kind of worried about the carbon stays snapping but I am pleased to say that it’s now FINISHED! Yeah!

First ride Sunday – 30 miles to Misty Law and back with hangover probably – I’ve a wedding to attend tomorrow… However looking forward to it. Thanks for all the comments.

jad
    Free Member

All done – first ride tomorrow:

ojom
    Free Member

Looking good.

now go and give it hell.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Toy – Yeti ASR 5’ is closed to new replies.