• This topic has 32 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New tablet time – recommendations ?
  • iainc

I bought a Hudl a few yrs ago after my Nexus 7 died and have found it ideal. It is however not holding much charge anymore and Tesco have discontinued them now. I don’t use many apps, and have everything in Google chrome and Google drive etc. Rest of family are on Apple.

I also have a Chromebook, so switch between them all the time

Don’t want to spend over £300. Ideas ?

mikey74
    Free Member

Lenovo?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

By all accounts the Hudl2 was better than the original for charging and battery life. There is a new Hudl3 coming out for Christmas so you hope that would be better again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmars

Or a cheap Windows one, I’ve had a Linx 8 for about a year and it’s been fine.

iainc

Didn’t realise there was a new Hudl coming, that could be a good low cost option. Am I right in thinking Chrome and Google Drive etc are better on Android than an iPad mini ?

Edit – some googling suggests that Tesco are now not releasing a Hudl 3….

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I hadn’t realised the Hudl had been discontinued and the 3 was coming. My Hudl 2 is great.

I have an iPad 2 and it rarely leaves the bathroom; most apps work better on Android than iPads. I haven’t noticed any features that aren’t available on the iOS version of Drive and Chrome but are on Android. Having said that, I rarely use Drive on a tablet for more than viewing a document.

boxelder

and it rarely leaves the bathroom;

….raises eyebrow and sniggers….

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Alas it would seem my info is out of date. A quick Google suggests that Tesco won’t be realising a hudl3 and is discontinuing the range. Sorry, I should have checked before posting.

iainc

no worries 🙂

IPad Mini2 looks a good option at £200, assuming I can convert to Apple …. 🙂

kimbers

Lenovo s6000 10 incher here for 2 years now, very impressed

iainc

ideally looking for around 8 inch screen size, as have a chromebook as well (which I’m using right now as the old Hudl went flat after less than 3 hrs 🙁

iainc

what about this one ?

samsung tab 4

a bit smaller than I was after, but good reviews and a good price.. Is the fact that it’s on KitKat rather than lollipop an issue ?

mikey74
    Free Member

This is the Lenovo I’m currently looking at getting:

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga/yoga-tablet-2-8/

iainc

^^^ I looked at that one, but found a few bad reviews on John Lewis. Pity as it looks better on paper that the Samsung tab 4

pnik

Samsung make a pretty good selection, but are rubbish at following up on andoid updates, im on a tabpro bought 6 months ago with kitkat, still on kitkat with marshmallow out still no official lollipop release. In my opinion these updates are goingto get more important for security reasons. Otherside of that is i like the more flexible platform,memory card support usb otg, file system aceess etc oh and a back button. If that stuff doesnt worry you get an ipad, fingerprint unlock is cool.
    Ive an ipad mini for work so i flip between the 2 and both have features the other “should” have.

You ultimately get more spec for your money on android, but ultimately apple is a more stable platform and i reckon the device has a longer lifespan.

stumpy01

I was in John Lewis the other week and was amazed at the range of decent looking Android tablets for between about £130-£200.
    Might be worth looking in there if you have one near you and having a play with some of them?

I’ve got an LG GPad 8.3 that I really like – good screen, battery life, not crowded with tons of bloatware.

There’s a newer one out now that doesn’t seem so feature packed, but is cheaper at rrp and still looks like a good buy.

zilog6128

If there’s nothing wrong with the Hudl apart from it not holding a charge can’t you just replace the battery (or get someone to do it)?

iainc

I have been looking at the LG, Samsung and Lenovo in John Lewis and may likely do that route. Dunno if I can justify another £70 for an iPad mini 2…

taxi25
    Free Member

As zilog says, you can get battery’s on ebay for a few quid and there’s a video on youtube showing how to open the thing up.

keefmac

google nexus 9, theyre going for £199 at the moment for the 16gb version at argos. keep an eye out though as they have been dropping to £179 for a week or so every couple of months. could see it happening again before christmas

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a few for work. The one I pick up is the xpereria.

mikey74
    Free Member

The trouble with the Nexus is no SD card slot, so you’d be better off going for the 32gb, which obviously is more expensive.

iainc

thanks, have ordered a battery for a fiver on ebay which will keep me going till nearer Santa’s appearance 🙂 by which time I will have decided on what best replacement – lots of great ideas here, cheers

survivor

I’ve been looking for something new and found this page listing what’s due out soon.

http://tabletmonkeys.com/new-tablets/

nothings standing out for me at present so may hold on as quite a few are due for release in the run up to Christmas

iainc

Thanks, handy link, cheers

iainc

still dithering on this. Does it make much difference going android kitkat over lollipop for example ? Slightly wary as my Nexus 7 died a few yrs back when it updated to a newer OS….

I’d hate to spend £150 on a new one to see it go the same way after 18 months…

survivor

Any update has the potential to ruin a device. If your happy with how it works leave it as is. If you want new features and potential improvements take the risk and upgrade it.

All devices like these have a lifespan as newer software wants to run on the latest hardware. They can keep going but they won’t be as fast and responsive as they one were. No problem if you don’t mind waiting a bit longer. I’m still using my few year old Asus tablet but I loaded cyanogenmod on it to extend its life but it’s still a bit sluggish compared to my much newer phone hence why I’m keeping my eyes open for a new tablet as well.

Personally I’d be looking for a tablet with the latest version of the OS already installed as theoretically the hardware has been selected to run it and your then going to get an update our two before they stop supporting it.

Russell96

Nvidia Shield tablet pretty much vanilla Android on it with lots of updates, nippy cpu and with the gamepad and a HDMI cable it makes for a nice mini console.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

cant go wrong with the new Amazon Fire range. Does everything i want it to do!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My 13 yo is the techy gamer of the family, and whilst the rest of us have drifted off to iPhone, iPad and Mac, he has gone from nexus to nVidia and rates it highly.

markgraylish
    Free Member

what about this one ?

samsung tab 4

a bit smaller than I was after, but good reviews and a good price.. Is the fact that it’s on KitKat rather than lollipop an issue ?

I’ve got one of those and I love it! Samsung have pushed out an update to the OS and mine is now on 5.1.1 but I’m in Canada so not sure how Samsung roll out updates for other countries.

My only gripe is that I can’t get Chromecast to work. I’ve googled it and can’t find a solution

iainc

Thanks for updates. Interesting about that Samsung – Chromecast and Chromecast audio are must have for mine, so might rule that one out…

iainc

eventually bought the Lenovo from John Lewis :

this one

and picking up tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New tablet time – recommendations ?’ is closed to new replies.