Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • New super bastid… Anyone had one yet?
  • cookeaa

Just ordered one of These on a whim and as my old P7 is a bit tired…

Anyone had one through yet? what can I expect is it anything like the claimed 1200 Lumens? Will it melt rabbits? or will glare just burn out my retinas?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Mine shipped today so will let you know next week!

JRTG
    Free Member

Just ordered one too….

popartpoem
    Free Member

cookeaa … please post a review when you get these … I have had a couple of DX’s 900 lumin (very “ish”) torch style LED’s & they’ve been great … I could probably do with a bit more light depth & spread though.

P20

Yes. Mine shipped today also. I’ll update when it arrives

Kahurangi

I got one of these a few months ago.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11226

noticeably brighter than a bastid and my various P7 torches. Fairly ‘green’ colour temperature. 3 hrs+, 2 very good light levels plus annoying flashing mode.

/edit – was $44 when bought!

althepal

I have one, seems great to me but in singletrack style I have nothing to compare it to tho.
    And I haven’t really used it properly in anger out on the trails..
    But for the money, and if it performs as a lot of folk say it will (cheers MTBbatteries/smudge) then I think it’ll be a good little bit of kit!
    Looking forward to getting some night rides in once the nights start drawing in!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Do dx do any all-in-one style lights like the exposure?

chriswilk
    Free Member

The new single XML DX lights are more like 800lumen, not 1200.
    The old P7 ones are 500 to 550 lumen, so there is an increase in light output.
    The new ones have a tighter beam too, so very good penetration but very poor spread.
    I’d say good for a head light, maybe not so good on the bars.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah they are called torches!

trout
    Free Member

Dont know where they get the 1200 lumens as crees data sheet maxes the T6 xml out at 980 lumens driven at 3 amps

3 to 4 hours at full power not a chance
    I tested one and got 2.5 hours on full.
    But it is cheap and works though not tested in the english winter so good luck.

cookeaa

“Only” 980 lumens??? Pah barely worth bothering then…. 😉

To be fair I was fuilly aware that the high mode on my older P7 bastid was nothing like 900 (more like 600 innit?), I still found it more than Ample, infact I only really used the high mode for proper dark – in amongst the trees singletrack, the “low” mode was sufficient for about 85% of my night riding needs….

I’d tend to ignore the numbers and look more at weather or not the light is actually useful for riding… and for 30 squid it’s hardly a massive rip off is it…

What are the accepted “standard” apperture and exposure settings for beam shots?
    I might do a couple of comparative shorts with the old P7 and the new XML Bastids just for illustrative purposes…

trout
    Free Member

this video
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_HY_Qt7po[/video]

first light is the P7 Bastid and the second one is the new XML Bastid clone

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

for 30 squid it’s hardly a massive rip off is it…

Depends on your point of view.

Not very good news for UK made stuff, is it.

I suppose your job can’t be out sourced to China.
    How nice that must be for you.

***wonders if all the people buying 30 quid lights, ride 200 quid bikes***

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve been collecting high end flashlights for years and generally the lumen output spouted by the manufacturer is bulloks. obviously some of the quality guys go to the trouble to have the lights measured and publish REAL data.

Anyway, I’ve ordered one of these light to play with. But before it gets used i’m going to strip it back to components and make sure its built correctly with thermal paste where needed. DX lights can be pretty low quality so I’d advise anyone ordering one to make sure all the O rings are in place and lubed.

At the end of the day it’s a bike light for £30 ,whats the worse than can happen? 🙂

(Oh,death. Caused to the light failing at 25mph down hill in the wood’s, miles from home)

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

At the end of the day it’s a bike light for £30 ,whats the worse than can happen?

(Oh,death. Caused to the light failing at 25mph down hill in the wood’s miles from home

Finally, someone has said it. Someone who knows quality.

Right, I’m off to work.
    Byeeee

z1ppy

and yet again the troll C_C awakes for his yearly whine.

cookeaa

Oh how wonderful a “Buy British” troll.
    Nice and original: One of you meatheads normally pops up any time cheap far eastern lights are discussed.

Don’t you **** dare try to suggest I’m in some way “by association” responsible for current UK unemployment and discontent by buying a cheap light from overseas you tosser…

I’m simply not in the position to spunk ten times the amount on a comparable “British” product, should I just spend far too much on a hope piece of tat that is simply marked up for mugs like you that buy anything with a Union flag on the box…
    Should I buy an Exposure? I’d consider it but again the cost is too high for the likes of me who really doesn’t need anything much more that what the DX lights offer…

If I was after a serious high quality light for regular enduro use yes I’d probably contact trout, and no I’d not expect him to cut his throat to try and compete with DX and the like, they are different products, aimed at different consumers Quality and attention to detail Vs basic function at rock bottom prices…

As for cheap lights failing miles from nowhere, well I always carry a spare, don’t you? or is your “British Built” lighting completely infalable? to be honest I’ve never had the issues you describe, but a nice bit of scaremongering none the less…

C_C Unless you apply this “Only Buy British” mantra in every aspect of your life you can stuff your fair weather nationalism up your arse…

bigjim

Depends on your point of view.

Not very good news for UK made stuff, is it.

I suppose your job can’t be out sourced to China.

There isn’t much UK in Exposure lights if that is what you are referring to, they might be thrown together here but I doubt anything in them is made here.

Have to say I prefer the P7 bastid beamshot to the xml one, seems a narrow spread and big hot spot in the middle.

will
    Free Member

Nice one! Thanks for the link. My old deal extreme light failed the other day after a year use, so for £30 i’ll get this.

AlexSimon

I ordered one last week. Looks like the perfect beam shot for a helmet-mounted torch IMO. I’m hoping that the cables are compatible with the old ones, but someone on DX said not. I guess we’ll wait and see.

I was hoping to have a second battery for long rides as a bonus.

will
    Free Member

So it doesn’t come with a battery? Advery says it comes with a battery pack?

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I ordered one last week. For £30 I don’t think you can complain. If it works and lights up the trails/roads then I’m happy.

trout – With your lighting wisdom, do you think there is a way to modify/change the lens on these to give a better spread and less of a hot spot? Great vid by the way. If finances allowed I’d be having one of your lights. That Liberator looks great and seems to provide fantastic lighting.

cookeaa –

Oh how wonderful a “Buy British” troll.

You spotted it. Don’t get involved, not worth the trouble 😉

chriswilk
    Free Member

will – it does come with a battery.
    Alex Simon – i think the battery voltages are the same, so it’ll cost you a few pence to buy a new conenctor to be able to use your old one.

z1ppy

will, yes they do, Alex is talking about using his old P7 battery with the new XM-L unit as a spare.
    My XM-L unit from Smudge had a different connector, but he swapped it for an MS one, so I could use a old (new) battery. Connectors are a couple of quid and a few minutes with a soldering iron it’s sorted.

AlexSimon

chriswilk – yup. It shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ll also need an extension cable if I’m to use it on the helmet. I’ll wait andsee what arrives or what people report first hand on here, before I rush into anything.

I’ve already got Bastid mk1 and some Cree helmet-mounted torches, so I’m not actually in need of anything immediately.

AlexSimon

Anyone got links to buy connectors? I’d probably swap everything on the new one to the old style.

z1ppy

I’m not actually in need of anything immediately

what need got to do with it when there this cheap…. 2x P7 torches, a MS P7 unit, along with a Trout Mini, now a XM-L bike light too! Yay :mrgreen:

(I only use 2 at a time, but the original P7 torches are ace for throwing in the bag for emergencies & a loaner)

z1ppy

Alex I got mine from Smudge, along with some heat shrink sleeving.
    Though they are std connectors, nothing fancy, so maplins should have em.

onandon
    Free Member

guitarmanjon – Member

trout – With your lighting wisdom, do you think there is a way to modify/change the lens on these to give a better spread and less of a hot spot? .

The light has a smooth reflector , Ideally it should have an OP or orange peel reflector. I’m waiting to see what mine comes with as DX have a habit of altering spec’s.
    You may find another reflector on DX to swap or you can ‘sputter’ the existing reflector – only for the brave 🙂

will
    Free Member

Thanks gents 😀 Just put an order in. For £27 it was cheaper than a spare battery for my Hope!

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

OP or orange peel reflector

Would a bit of tin foil stuck on not-quite-right have the same effect?

onandon
    Free Member

uuuuuur that will be a negative 🙂

Google – ‘sputter reflector’

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

‘sputter reflector’

Sounds like something to protect toilet bowls from morning-after-curry-and-beer…

onandon
    Free Member

A few sheets of bogroll to soften the blast 🙂

trout
    Free Member

You could put a difuser of some sort on the front to soften the hot spot.
    be easier than finding a different reflector .

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

DealExtreme: Your order has been shipped from the fulfillment center

😯 What did I order?

trout – any ideas on where I could pick up a diffuser? I’ve seen plenty of DIY splutter reflector ideas, many involving hair spray…

plodtv
    Free Member

How long are people waiting to go from “Waiting for Supplier”

montylikesbeer

Got a note from postie this afternoon, so I think mine is waiting for me at the local sorting office, if it is I’ll post some shots of it in bits and beam shots.

Mind you I love my Liberator from Troutie, the DX XM-L is a back up/share with mates light.

trout
    Free Member

Guitarmanjon you could try frosted tape

Or find an old florescent strip light and use a bit of the difuser cut to size if it has ridges then have the ridges up and down and it will spread the light sideways a bit too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘New super bastid… Anyone had one yet?’ is closed to new replies.