Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New router ideas: Billion BiPAC really that good?
  • spacemonkey

Fed up having to keep rebooting the TPLink and don’t trust Netgear/Dlink after failures with them too. Just running a normal home ADSL setup but looking to future proof if fibre does eventually appear here.

Saw a thread on these Billions a while back but can’t find it now. Are they really that good? Any real-world advantages in going for the 7800N over the normal 7800? I.e. can I check if I’m running N (or N-compliant or whatever) etc?

Cheers

GrahamS
    somouk
    Free Member

If you are on about future proofing then opting to include the N wifi would be a good start before you worry about fibre.

rkk01
    Free Member

I replaced a Netgear with a Billion, as posted on the previous thread ^.

The Netgear router was always dropping the ADSL link, and also didn’t have enough strength to maintain good wireless throughout our modest modern home.

Had a mild panic a couple of weeks ago. Plusnet wanted to send out a Netgear router as part of a fibre package. Politely declined (having checked the billion’s spec beforehand)

Trouble was, the FTTC upgrade was done by BT, who just installed the modem and washed their hands that the non-supplied router wasn’t geting an internet connection – not my see to guv…

Fortunately a few minutes on Billions tech support line got all the set-up sorted. The FTTC modem connects to the Billion via an ethernet cable to the EWAN port. Opening the router’s home page allows you to change from ADSL to EWAN. The only other change was to select PPPoE (sp)and add my ISP login details…

Result – Billion BiPAc now running the fibre internet connection and maintaining our household wifi network.

ETA – I thought the 7800N was the wifi version, with the 7800 being non-wifi ethernet only???

ETA 2 – N wifi should speed up your wireless LAN – eg printing etc, irrespective of the external speed …?

spacemonkey

Yep, that was the one GrahamS. Oddly didn’t appear in my search though.

Yep, N would be a good place to start – but the connection here in the sticks is only 3Mb with no date for fibre. Hence wondering if I need to spend the extra £40 on top of the £80.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New router ideas: Billion BiPAC really that good?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM