Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • new phone time…
  • cookeaa

New Phone time is upon me, I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

-Xperia Z2
    -HTC One M8
    -Galaxy S5

Setting aside prices (and contracts) who can talk me in or out of any of those three?

Or make things harder by suggesting something else entirely…

jam-bo

new iphone on 9th september.

jools182
    Free Member

I’d go for the HTC

much more of a quality feel than the samsung

fionap

Z2, definitely. Battery life is 2-3 days with fairly heavy use, camera/internet/amazing screen etc. Very jealous of my boyfriend’s Z2, have been trying to work out if I could early upgrade from my S3 but EE want all the money so it’ll have to wait.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

That all assumes you are wanting n Android phone. Left field, you could consider the Nokia Lumia 635 as this seems to be a pretty good value for money phone. If you want something a bit bigger try the Lumia 930 or 1020.

muggomagic

Out of those I’d got for the HTC. Though in typical STW style I’ll recommend the LG G3. I got one a couple of weeks back and I’m well pleased with it.

Cougar

I’d go with the HTC, personally. I abhor Samsung’s “Touchwiz” interface and don’t trust Sony to release updates.

cookeaa

Sorry I should have said, I’m an android fanboi.
    I won’t be buying and iphone or a windows phone…

Currently I am leaning towards the Xperia Z2

TBH the IP ratings for the Z2 and the S5 edge me their way a bit more than the HTC, these days my phone doubles as my bike computer so that sort of thing matters…

The Samsung is a bit faster apparently (doubt I’d really notice TBH), but speed isn’t everything, the Z2 and M8 are on KitKat 4.4, the s5 is still on Jellybean 4.2.2 not that that should matter too much but its worth considering I guess…

spacemonkey

Nexus 5 here. Have raved about it enough on this forum. And that’s after I came from 4 yrs of iPhone usage. Still hate Android out of the box, but with a new front end etc it’s bloomin excellent.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

LG G3? Got mine on release day and i’ve been pretty impressed. Not quite as snappy as the Nexus 5 I had but the camera and screen are way better. Going by the android updates my wife has had on her G2 and I’ve had on my Gpad then I’d say LG are quicker than Samsung on that front.

chojin
    Free Member

It sounds like the Z2 is up your street.

Waterproof? Check
    Kitkat? Check
    No touchwiz? Check

Although waterproofness to me personally wouldn’t be a requirement so i’d choose an M8 because they look so luuurvely.

Go for the Z2.

cookeaa

I’m not a massive aesthete but the M8 looks the nicest of the lot, and the pre-loaded samsung touchwiz cobblers on my current phone and their generally cheaper look and feel puts me off the brand a bit now TBH…

The G3 looks like a good phone too, although the back comes off (as does the S5’s) and I can’t find much on its weather tightness, of course LG make the Nexus 5 as well, which I considered, but again there’s no IP rating and the actual specs seem broadly comparable with S5, Z2 and M8, obviously the OS would be less fiddled with than the others though, I already get on well with my Nexus 7 tablet… Hmmm.

muggomagic

The g3 is not waterproof. I’ve bought a sleeve to slip it into when out on the bike. The os doesn’t feel like it’s been tampered with too much compared to my nexus 4 and any extras that I’ve found so far have actually been quite useful.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from Samsung (Galaxy Nexus) to HTC (One mini2) and considered at length all the other options, most significantly the Samsungs.
    The HTC is lovely. Samsung’s look and feel cheap. My old one was a better build but even that had its
    I got the mini as the big versions (M8) are just massive IMO for a phone and have capabilities beyond those that I require.
    The transition and transfer of content was remarkably easy with HTC’s transfer app.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

S5 Prime / Alpha out soon… New nexus too. LG G3 too…Oh and Z3…

I own a HTC One M8 and it’s fantastic, ergo that’s the one you should get.

pdV6
    Free Member

HTC.

I have the previous One (M7) – chosen specifically for the metal body.
    Crashed hard a couple of weeks ago, landing on the pocket where I’d accidentally left my phone (usually lives in the backpack).
    Bit of a dent in the back of the handset but still works fine.
    A (plastic) Samsung would have disintegrated… The M8 looks to be tougher than the M7 if anything.

Philby

My HTC One Mini is a lovely piece of kit, and is streets ahead of my friend’s Samsung which has so many functions it becomes confusing to use and is very plasticy.

Can’t comment on the Sony, but heard good reports.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to punt on a Oneplus One.

Though they look pretty gargantuan; I am thinking my next android might be a slight performance compromise for a smaller phone…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Can you actually buy a OnePlus yet or is it still by invitation? I got bored and bought the M8 and haven’t looked back. Unlocked, rooted and running Android Revolution 10.2 rom. Flies and great battery life. Also, if you like tunes, the M8 sounds fabulous.

Cougar

I am thinking my next android might be a slight performance compromise for a smaller phone…

I’ve been leaning this way for a while. I carry a Nexus 7 so have no need of a ‘phablet’, I just want something small with a reasonable amount of grunt.

I’m hoping that by the time I’m out of contract next, watch phones have matured sufficiently to be a viable proposition.

Yak

I am thinking my next android might be a slight performance compromise for a smaller phone…

Me too. I’m at the end of a contract now and I’m shocked at how big ‘standard’ smart phones are now. Its ridiculous. I need a phone for talking on, not just prodding and don’t want to look like Dom Joly.

flashpaul
    Free Member

LG G3 – only played with one for a short while last week but it looks like a great phone
    4K video recording is amazing

Russell96

I use a HTC one M8 as my works phone, really impressed with the cleanness of the skin to Android HTC have used on it, battery life, look and feel are brilliant, only downside is that the camera is probably best termed average in daylight but works OK in darker conditions.

For my personal phone I have a Galaxy Note 3 and I’m not too bothered with Samsung’s skin vs HTC, the battery life is better still as is the camera, downside it doesn’t have the great look and feel of the HTC.

hambl90
    Free Member

Note 3

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘new phone time…’ is closed to new replies.