Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • NEW Penmachno Video
  • aerialvue
    Free Member

Great new video showing the latest additions to the trail

[video]http://youtu.be/JP5C_0Fdmg4[/video]

Dave

JCL
    Free Member

When’s the layer of tarmac going on?

nuke

Nice riding based on what they had to work with and well shoot vid but it just looked like two riders coming down a nicely laid gravel path with the odd bump and berm to me…certainly didn’t fire me up to want to go and ride it 😐

(and the music was annoying but volume button sorted that)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve not been to Penmachno for a few years, but I’ve got very fond memories of it. This looks like something else entirely though- is that all new bits or some ‘upgraded’ old bits as well in the video?

Bregante

hmm. Not sure that is much of an “improvement” to penmachno which I’ve always enjoyed because of its natural feel

MartynS

Jesus… Did Derbyshire county council do that?

It’ll soften no doubt but I agree with bregante. Penmachno had a nice natural feel about it.

darrenspink
    Free Member

My lad will enjoy going down that. Ive been looking for a long and smooth trail for him to have fun on.

aerialvue
    Free Member

It still does. the new sections are just linking the old ones replacing fire road sections

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Meh, looks like dcc have been at it

deviant
    Free Member

There are no words.

Is this what passes for a ‘trail’ centre these days?

No wonder people need 160mm of full suspension, I mean how would you cope otherwise?!

Lol, I’ll strike Penmachno off my list of places to ride then, I’d get the same experience riding the pavements closer to home.

RustySpanner

aerialvue – Member

It still does. the new sections are just linking the old ones replacing fire road sections

Cool.

My favourite trail centre – should be down in a few weeks, looking forward to it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That dirty cheating b*stard with his Strava line at 0.28.

nonk
    Free Member

The appeal of penmachno for a lot of folks seemed to be that it didn’t feel to much like a man made trail.
    Some would say it feels a bit more remote than other man made trails, personally i think its a real shame that its had some bmx track in the woods stuff put in.

Not everyone is me though.

Stiggy

Good to see Penmachno’s ubiquitous puddles are still there! 😀

RustySpanner

I can see your point, but if the rest of the stuff is still there I’ll take the new bits as a bonus.

I love the feel of the place, the last descent and the exposed anti clockwise little loop up to the right, just off the fireroad on loop 1 are brill.

Oh, and the really fast little section after you cross the trail after that bit, and the first bit in the video and, oh well, all of it really.
    🙂

Is there an up to date map on line somewhere showing the new bits?

aerialvue
    Free Member

Its still all the same Penmachno! fire road or fun? Ill take the fun route every time.

nonk
    Free Member

well yes i wouldn’t miss out the new bits and ride round em 😀

beicmynydd
    Free Member

After the bone jarring bedrock of loop 2 some smooth sections where welcome when I rode it this afternoon.
    Lots of new bomb holes after the enduro yesterday

jimr80
    Free Member

I always wonder why these type of new sections to “trail centre” trails have to be this same formula of smooth shale bmx inspired stuff. Don’t get me wrong, when I’m there again I’ll ride it, but why do they insist on laying a pavement for us to ride along. Jumps and big berms can be set in a more natural trail with out having to have it billiard table smooth.
    I must be getting old, it’s not my cup of tea.
    All the same it’s nice to see that some work is being done, good, bad or indifferent.
    I’m knocking all trail centres but maybe they can take ideas from the likes of the Cafall trail at Cwncarn.

plecostomus
    Free Member

If they had taken note of how the caffall trail is built the new sections would be ace, they didnt it’s very poor. The second section is mainly uphill and the rollers don’t work on both sections they are to steep and oddly spaced so you can’t really make them into doubles or so much with them.
    Apparently a £5k budget for that video?! Music choice is shocking, just like the new section of trail. The first new bit means you miss out the good flat run switch backs at the end of 1.8 as you go straight on rather than into the turns.
    If only a proper trail building company was used rather than a company who make access paths and roads. Conservfor.

aerialvue
    Free Member

Ah well guess you can’t please everybody.. for those of you that aint ‘Well Ard’ go have fun because thats what biking in all is guises is about. Penmachno is as good as ever but now there is an extra grin to be had by the majority of mountain bikers out there.

Dave

Karl33to
    Free Member

corner cutting and skidding in a promo video – does that mean it’s OK if we all do it?

aerialvue
    Free Member

Ride don’t ride suit yourself. I forgot why I stopped contributing years ago to forums. Now I remember why.

What ever you do on your bike have fun. What ever anyone ever says there aint any trail thats natural!

Just go have fun what ever you ride.

From ‘A really old fart’ that should know better than post on forums.

davesmate
    Free Member

I like the look of that. I’m up that way in April so might pay Penmachno a visit while I’m there. That new stuff is guaranteed to have cut up a bit by then.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Looks like fun…on a road bike.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I was there yesterday, those new bits are great fun – they’re sandwiched between ‘classic’ Penmachno sections and its quite an eye opener to come hooning out of the woods at warp speed from smooth new trail straight into a slick, rocky gully.

But haters gonna hate, I s’pose.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Very sadly the sound of a nail being hit squarely on the head by Plecostomus/Nonk 🙁
    At least (judging by the drainage) it won’t last too long 😐
    Ho hum

fullofit
    Free Member

looks awesome cant wait to get down there.

bails

I was at the enduro on saturday and then rode the full double loop this morning. The new stuff is a tiny proportion of the overall trail and from what I can tell it’s only replacing fireroad.

It’s still a very wild feeling trail although I will admit that the new stuff feels a bit out of place, but it’s worth bearing in min dit is VERY new and hasn’t had chance to scrub in and get messed up a bit yet. From the pointy bits peeking through one or two of the more heavily used lines I get the feeling that the rocks are only a very short distance below the top of the Sustrans gravel. So maybe in the spring time the trails will be more like rock sections with some of the gaps filled in.

postierich
    Free Member

Not ridden Penmach for around 4 yrs, that does not inspire me to go back! I,m sorry but that looks terrible 🙁
    not a helpful vid with riders doing what twatty riders do change gear ffs 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Why is everyone being so negative?

It’s a brand new section of fun looking trail that replaced a fire road. Any trail is more fun than a fire road and it has cost you absolutely nothing. Lighten up, will you?

wrecker
    Free Member

I rode that new bit and despised every second of it. Loved the natural feel to the rest of it but that 4ft wide pathway (it isn’t a trail) represents all that’s wrong with Uk trail building at present. It isn’t even mountain biking.

Sonor
    Free Member

I forgot why I stopped contributing years ago to forums. Now I remember why.

The whining here really is quite something. You could say, I’ll ride before I pass judgement, but no, you have to say something NOW. Anyway, give it a winter and it’ll roughen up, and line will appear through it.

What I find annoying is these poxy mountain bike lifestyle videos we are treated to every time you watch someone just riding a bike.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Haven’t visited it but before I watched I was expecting some rough more natural stuff. Those new sections remind me of the ‘improvements’ to son of chain slapper at the chase and the hope line at Gisburn.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Any trail is more fun than a fire road.
    It has cost you absolutely nothing.

You are absolutely right…..it was the absolute best way to spend £50k.I’m very glad they did’nt try and replicate any more of the outstanding singletrack already there because I’m so bored of that.

deluded
    Free Member

That was soul destroying – RIP Penmachno.

Loved the natural feel to the rest of it but that 4ft wide pathway (it isn’t a trail) represents all that’s wrong with Uk trail building at present. It isn’t even mountain biking.

+1

The culinary equivalent of drive-through fast food.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

🙄

deluded
    Free Member

bullandbladder,

Drop the emoticons and ‘haters gonna hate’ sillyness and understand that other people have a point of view, which may be at variance with yours.

bigh
    Free Member

Did it last weekend, the new bits don’t spoil any of it’s charm. One of the most scenic man made trails around with a wicked sting in the tail for anyone who treats it like the new breed of trails around these days.

iolo
    Free Member

How dare they link sections with new trails (not to everyone’s liking even though they haven’t ridden them and it’s probably 0.5% of the whole trail network) when we all love riding fire roads.
    Bastards.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘NEW Penmachno Video’ is closed to new replies.