Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New Orange 5 SE…. finally made my mind up!
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Well, I finally decided what i wanted to spec so here she is.
    Tyres we're gash, changed them to rampages and its soooo much better!
    Very happy with it, cant wait to get some long rides in and get booked up to do passport etc next year!
    Came with a nice new 2010 shock on the back. I specc'd V2's and a nice fat Fox 36.
    your thoughts?

Surfr
    Free Member

Looks lovely. I really really really want a Five.

jam-bo

do you want to swap it for my beaten up old five?

charlierevell
    Free Member

let me think about that…. How about Noooo hehe!
    When are you next back for a Q's bashing?

glynP
    Free Member

What do you think of the rampages are they draggy, they look like a good all round tyre.

MMMM! Oranges are nice

jam-bo

charlie – should be up on sunday with the mleh boys for a blast.

rampages roll pretty well, one of my favorite tyres. bit drifty in mud though.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Seemed like a very good tyre on the mendips and the Q's on sunday, million times better than the Conti Mountain Kings that were on it!

Will see you sunday then Jambo! any times/places ?

jam-bo

i think its a ten-ish start at crowcombe. sharki is organising.

nickegg
    Free Member

Just curious as to how the V2's are?

They must be stupidly powerful. I find the new X2's on mine plenty for me and i ride the same areas as yourself.

I've just bought a 2009 Orange five so no boostvalve shock but it's still a vast improvement on the 2007 shock i was running on the old bike.

Maximum Propedal setting is almost locked out and on open it doesn't seem to ramp up at the end of the travel so much.

slowrider
    Free Member

nice bike mister! good on you for choosing the maxle rear axle. i run talas 36's on my 5 and am really glad of the travel adjust, not just for climbs but a lot of flat/traversy stuff feels good at the 130mm setting, hope you get on ok without it. im sure the v2's will be ace, i run the m4's and they are plenty good enough for my meagre speeds.
    that looks like a long stem but thats personal choice i guess, your back tyre is on the wrong way round though! (and possibly the front, cant quite see well enough)

charlierevell
    Free Member

V2's seem rather nice, loads of modulation to them.
    The tyres are on the correct way as per the instructions on the sidewall!
    The 36's have Talas and are 160/130/100 so i too can drop the front if i want! Tho it does look a little silly on 100!
    I want to ride it all day and the 70mm stem it came with was a bit too upright. 100mm lets it climb as well as it goes down. Doesnt seem to be too much of a compromise really.

jimmy

anyone happen to know the shock dimensions on a 5?

Richyb
    Free Member

Very nice, just needs a bash ring and a 50mm stem and you're done.

dasnut
    Free Member

V2s are pretty heavy for a trail bike no?
    running vented rotors?

charlierevell
    Free Member

Bash ring? I'd rather have big ring!
    50mm Stem? Yikes… that'd be well short! it came with a 70mm and was like an old school sit up and beg! Had to put a 100mm on to make it fit properly. Would be interested in having one for play days tho, not sure it needs it after Sundays ride tho!

V2's don't seem that heavy, when specing it the options were X2's at 160mm or V2's at 203mm. I quite fancy a bit of Alps riding and Passport next year so decided on the larger, at 14+ stone + kit the 160's would have been working very hard. Feel very nice to ride with tho, shame the matchmaker for XTR isnt out yet!

nickegg
    Free Member

Shock dims are 190mm i2i and 50mm stroke i think.

andylux
    Free Member

Charlie, How tall are you please and is it an 18" frame. I'm about to indulge myself.

Cheers

robidoo
    Free Member

What size rear hub is it 135mm or 150mm?

Rob.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Im 6ft 1ish! It comes up a little short with the 70mm stem, I do need a bit of post showing (Seat was down as it had just come out the car)
    But there is still double the min insert in the frame!
    Yep its and 18…. makes it useable for some chucking about, 20 would have been a little bit too big.

135 rear hub on maxle i Believe!

sharki
    Free Member

boing!!

I hate to be riding that and not be able to keep up with an old boy on a ss HT 😉

Crowcombe for 9.30 revell time Sunday….More of a play day than big mile ride…

Saturday, maybe working… if not, similar time from where eva…

saladdodger
    Free Member

looks better in the flesh but

HFM ££££££££

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New Orange 5 SE…. finally made my mind up!’ is closed to new replies.