Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New Hoover required, recommendations?
  • chapps
    Free Member

My Dyson DC05 is slowly disintegrating.
    Over the years most of the plastics have broken, motor changed.
    It’s now mostly araldite and duck tape. More bits break over time.

So what’s a powerful (which the Dyson was) but better built Hoover/ vacuume cleaner?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Paid 180 notes for a Miele 14 years ago which has just snuffed it and been replaced by the same

chapps
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about Miele.
    I’ll take a butchers 🙂

z1ppy

Miele cat & dog cylinder here, very very good and the different ‘heads’ (there’s 3, make sure you buy the model with them!) make vacuuming normal carpets ,tiles ,stairs and even curtains a doddle. The bags are a slight annoyance, but then this what you may to keep the dust in and not being pumped back out the back end.

Lots of shouty threads on here, about this subject (do a search).

ElShalimo

Henry vacuum is plenty good enough and they’re only £90ish

z1ppy

Henry’s are like 1960’s wrought-iron bicyles compared to a modern (quality) bike, yes they do the same ‘basic’ job, but if you think there there same thing, your sadly wrong.

curvature
    Free Member

I’d buy another Dyson.

Recently in a similar predicament and chose to buy a new hose and brush bar sole plate for my DC07.

With a new filter assembly it is back to it’s old self. 10 years old and still going strong.

I have heard bad reports ion the VAX vacuum cleaners. Parts fall off!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dyson here too, very easy and cheap to replace part, so the thing just does not die. Not that parts need replacing often. Not yet Locke’s sock or the ship of Theseus

marsdenman
    Free Member

We were in John Lewis, looking at a new Dyson (replacing a well worn DC04).
    I happened to look over at Miele – half the price.
    Got chatting with the helpful lady and we ultimately bought a SEBO.
    Long warranty. German. Bags half the price of mile. Vac half the price of Dyson. Only used it one thus far, I’d said it does a better job than our DC04 but, to be fair, that is 10 years old now.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d get either a Meile cylinder (my parents have one and it’s very good) or another Dyson.

Our Dyson which was really old started going brittle and was likewise held together with duck tape and glue. We bought a Hoover equivalent which was so rubbish we went back to the knackered Dyson until we bought another new Dyson.

mulv1976
    Free Member

+1 Miele

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, the commision on SEBO is fantastic!

😉

tartanscarf

Henry is fantastic. Big happy smiley face, UK made (?) and follows you around everywhere. The only problem is it doesn’t work very well.

Miele on the other hand..

TS

winston_dog
    Free Member

+1 Sebo

tang
    Free Member

meile cat and dog flipping revelation after years of henry. henry is now on diy/workshop duty. if you like upright sebo are great my dad has had one for years, totally fixable and all parts available.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Yeah, the commision on SEBO is fantastic!

LOL! I had thought that… Still, price was broadly the same as the Miele & happy with our purchase.
    Having said that, at double the price, you’d hope Dyson have a bloody good commission scheme…..!

cbike
    Free Member

Oreck

Half the power and weight, twice the suck, all spares available. You can fling it round like a flymo. If you recommend one to someone else they send you Free bags. Mine is 20 years old.

http://www.oreck.co.uk

LadyGresley
    Free Member

A Dyson is not a Hoover, neither is a Miele. They are vacuum cleaners!

The OP asked for Hoover recommendations.

unovolo
    Free Member

Just bought a Numatic James(Henry’s little brother) works absolutely fine for me ,much quieter than any previous vacs.
    British made,virtually all spare parts available and millions of cleaners cannot be wrong.

pjm84
    Free Member

Miele cat & dog cylinder

+1

qwerty
    Free Member

Hetty sucks like there is no tomorrow.

CHB

And sellotape is not the same as sticky tape.
    No one buys actual Hoovers any more, but the word is used both as a verb and as a generic term for domestic vac in our house and many others.

giantjason
    Free Member

Another vote for the Miele. Got one several years ago and it’s been great.

nealglover
    Free Member

SEBO

LadyGresley
    Free Member

No one buys actual Hoovers any more

That’s because if you’ve got one, you never need another, they go on for ever!
    *looks at 18 year old Hoover*

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele………………Also there is a Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele,Miele……………..

brakes
    Free Member

we have a SEBO Automatic
    it is very good, but if your wife moults like mine, you’ll spend a lot of time pulling hairs out of the rotating brush.

footflaps

Having tried a Miele, I couldn’t believe how utterly pathetic they are: bag blocks with dust after about 10 minutes then it stops sucking, took it back to John Lewis, got a refund and bought a Dyson instead – way better.

spchantler
    Free Member

early dysons were great, then they went downhill, henry for me. on a job recently we had a dyson and a henry, the henry was far quieter and much more powerful. it is mine tho, and i have to be right.

takisawa2

Bissel.

Greybeard
    Free Member

+1 for Sebo. Doesn’t have to be an upright, ours is a cylinder (K1 model).

Dark-Side

Another vote for Miele here. Ours has been fantastic.

kd48

Vax, they have a six year guarantee and a superb replacement service. We just got our 3 year old machine replaced with a completely new model for £3.99 admin charge.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

No one buys actual Hoovers any more

My hoover bagless was great until I stamped on the auto levelling foot too hard. It’s still going strong on car valeting duties.

Dysons are like toy hoovers, although if you clean every foam seal each time you empty it they work kind of okay.

nealy
    Free Member

Sebo K1, very powerful and built like a brick out house

chapps
    Free Member

Wow thanks Fellas.

I was expecting a lot of p-taking for moi posting a Vaucmme related topic.
    One of my main jobs around the house and cars etc so I like a nice bit of kit.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Sounds like the Henry is the Orange Five of vacuum cleaners in some people’s opinion then. I have both and they’re fine for me. 🙂

br
    Free Member

We’ve 2 Dysons’, a +10yr normal upright DC04 and a pull-along DC05.

The DC04 replaced an original Dyson (now workshop based) after I managed to semi-destroy it sucking up liquid…, and the DC05 was inherited.

No way would I buy any vacuum that wasn’t bagless.

granny_ring

Been happy with Henry for 12 years too plus dont have the expense of hoover bags.

andyfla
    Free Member

One other thought – how about a Roomba – not as powerful, or exact as a push around Hoover, but it is a robot so it hovers itself, the process is:
    Put it on,
    Go biking,
    Room finished by the time you get back.

Bought one a year or so back and it is the most fantastic thing out there, would buy another tomorrow if it broke

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New Hoover required, recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.